Current Quality Control

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of interested in getting a Nexus 7 again. I had some seriously bad screen lift issues on 5 or 6 of these things the first time around. So I had given up. I really like the N10 but I like the smaller size of the 7, plus the price is quite a bit nicer.

Anyway, I'm wondering what anyone who had gotten one recently has to say about the build quality. In particular with screen lift. Has this been fixed with the newer batches, or is it still prevalent?

Thanks!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite understand how you expect to get anything other than anecdotal responses, Wildo. Quality control is a statistical process requiring large sample size to yield any reliable inference and a sample size of one is all that most folks will have unless they buy large numbers of tablets for a corp or some such.

At any rate, I suggest you go to a shop, buy one, open it up and check it for defects with your high standards in mind and then take it home or return it for exchange right then. With your prior experience, you should be able to find out yourself.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was just wondering some other users' experiences. Not exact findings. Just curious as to whether or not recent purchases had had any issues and if they were able to get it taken care of.

Thanks for the responses.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine the day 32GB model was released (early Nov ish) and opened the box at the store. When 2 other people showed up and saw what I was doing they did the same. All three devices (all the staples store had) worked, apparently were fine, and all 3 left the store soon after. N=3, so there you are for what it's worth (not much).

Mine has been functioning fine ever since except when I left a pendrive plugged in during an extended sleep mode and needed to hold the power button for a long time to get it booted. OS, sleep mode and NMI combo clearly was toxic in some manner, lol.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine the day 32GB model was released (early Nov ish) and opened the box at the store. When 2 other people showed up and saw what I was doing they did the same. All three devices (all the staples store had) worked, apparently were fine, and all 3 left the store soon after. N=3, so there you are for what it's worth (not much).

Mine has been functioning fine ever since except when I left a pendrive plugged in during an extended sleep mode and needed to hold the power button for a long time to get it booted. OS, sleep mode and NMI combo clearly was toxic in some manner, lol.

That's more of what I was talking about. I know it'll only be anecdotal, but I wanted to hear some experiences. I thought of doing that at my local GameStop just to see how it turned out.

Looks like you got a good one!

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Got mine for Sams club in December. Everything looks good so far, but iam not as picky as some on here. No screen lift and it's as quick as can be.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

randyw

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine 3 days ago. A 32GB Wi-Fi/HPSA+ model which came out of the box with JB 4.2.1. It was built Nov 19th and it is perfect. I can see no defects of any kind.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought my first one (8GB) last October. In November I bought a 32GB and then in December, two more 32GB as gifts for my son and grandson. Not one problem or issue with any of them. I have another 32GB on it's way and given the track record so far, I'm not expecting any issues with it either. Who knows though, I might get one with a problem this time, but so far so good.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm admittedly more anal than most. So I probably find more issues than some of you guys out there. I did have some serious lift issues on a few. And minor on the others. But the minor always worried me that it might become much worse.

Thanks for the responses!

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine in august from walmart and open the box checked any screen lift,this is the best android device I've owned to date and have experienced no defect of any kind..it's extremely fast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

javyn

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 32G C90 on 12/29 and noticed screen lift a few days later on the top above the camera. I would not have noticed if someone hadn't pointed the issue out to me, but I am worried as to whether the separation gets worse over time or not. If it stays as is, I'm fine with it. But last thing I want to do is hold onto it past the return period and be screwed.

Do Squaretrade warranties cover screen lift on N7?

I really love the device, but this issue has me concerned and all worried now. Crap. Maybe this is my punishment for trying to move away from Apple to Android :(

javyn

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the left is slightly lifted, but it's not bad at all, and by lifted i mean, flush with the grey border as opposed to below it as on the right side.

I have no "clicking" "squishing" or "rippling" effects on the screen that other sufferers of the lift have, so it could just be me being paranoid but I don't want this getting worse.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 32GB + cellular data seems to be just fine. No screen lift whatsoever, but the battery could be better. But I think that's my apps and pattern of usage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So the worst of the worst things has happened. My Nexus 7 took a little fall today (and it wasn't by far the first one, but so far I've been lucky - till now) - and now the screen got a little crack on the upper left corner. Or so I thought, when I first saw it, but then when I put the tablet on the floor the light revealed even more - a barely visible crack runs almost all the way down to the right lower corner.

Okay, I know the repair for the glass is gonna be $189, and I'm actually lucky I have the $300 dollar model so it won't hit me to hard! Well, it still does. 189, that's alot! Well, but the problem is, as you know, I bought this tablet abroad. I also know that Asus has customer service over here (one of the addresses of the US box is from Germany).

BUT... will they take care of my tablet? Or do I have to send it back to the US? And... is it ?189? Or do they at least here use a proper exchange rate? After all, the $199 is ?199, the $249 is ?249 and so on.

So yeah. Will it be even more expensive cause I'm not in the Dollar zone anymore? And will they even take care of it here?

Thanks in advance!

I'm so mad at myself right now! It totally ruined my day, and it's barely 6am! :(

javyn

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My first gen N7 still going strong. Upgrading to Loli made it too slow, but flashing 4.4 back onto it made it like new.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty