Semi-OT: Cheap Android phone for GPS while in Europe?

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Visiting family in Europe soon, yeah!
I will need a local phone (rather than patch my US cheap t-mo prepaid one), and it would be nice to have a GPS functionality as well.
My plan is to buy a cheap Android phone, with WIFI and GPS, in the US, pop a local prepaid SIM when in EU, and rely on an Android GPS app (no data plan involved).

Should work, correct?

Better idea?
(my N7 is too big, and not enough wifi access to make it worth it)
Would a N4 be overkill? Again, I do not plan on using a data plan, here or in the US, wifi only, when available.

I could entertain a more involved ($$$) solution, as I can travel in that direction more often now.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The GPS in an Android phone needs a data connection to pull down map data. If you're going stay in one area, you can download the maps for that area before hand, but if you're planning on traveling widely that probably won't work. You might be able to get away with downloading maps using WiFi as you move around, but my experience is that in most places in Europe WiFi isn't free.

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I will need and have Wifi access, sporadically.
Area I will visit is rather small, so a single download of local area will work.

One thing that I find confusing is figuring out if and which phones have a GPS functioning without data plan (just getting a map onboard, preloaded on Wifi beforehand).

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
you don't need to worry about that. GPS does not need a data connection to work. If you don't have a data connection, your phone will put down a blue dot at your exact co-ordinates....it just won't be able to give you a map as to where that blue dot actually is. And the ability to save maps offline is independent of whether or not the phone has GPS. that's simply a feature of Google Maps.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you will be using the GPS for driving you might consider just getting a cheap dedicated unit once you get there. It will have turn by turn maps and not need any data. If you already have a dedicated unit like a Garmin for many models you can get maps for Europe for $80 or so.

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
...GPS does not need a data connection to work. If you don't have a data connection, your phone will put down a blue dot at your exact co-ordinates....it just won't be able to give you a map as to where that blue dot actually is. And the ability to save maps offline is independent of whether or not the phone has GPS. that's simply a feature of Google Maps.

Well, my thinking was simple:
get a basic Android phone with onboard GPS, without activating any data plan
Install Navfree or such GPS Android app and regional map, one-time install over Wifi
Use it as I would a GPS-equipped tablet like the N7

What am I missing here?
Maybe the phones with stand-alone GPS chips are few?

EDIT: a used, scratched up N7 8GB dedicated to GPS starts to look like a good idea, very flexible ...
(BTW, I have used Navfree USA and it it good enough for my use)

Last edited:

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Bumping this old thread, never implemented a solution, and still looking for new, or more ideas....
Recap:
- so far, no phone-based anything
- N7 may do, and has all relevant maps and software
- I may take a 5" Garmin, after figuring extra battery for long days(?)