Exclamation mark in the battery logo???

Deniz Vee

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Team :)
Ive recently become a proud owner of a nexus 7 and yes i cant put it down but last night i was playing on it and battery life was around 60% and within 5 minutes a red exclamation mark was shown in the battery logo and when i connected it to the mains it wasn't showing signs of re-charging! so i became scared and thought i might have a virus of some sort and reset it.... and still the problem hadn't gone. The battery i believe had charged as it wasn't dying but when i did connect it to the mains it was saying "connect the charger" and the red exclamation mark was still there, battery life was reading '0% - unknown' The problem has seemed to sort itself out but i have a feeling its gonna happen again...? I have read posts from people who have a galaxy phone and not the tablet... they fixed this problem by taking the battery out and putting it in again but this is harder with the tablet as i don't see the battery coming out easily. please guys help me and tell me there's an easy fix and that i don't have to cry haha.

thanks for your help.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Team :)
Ive recently become a proud owner of a nexus 7 and yes i cant put it down but last night i was playing on it and battery life was around 60% and within 5 minutes a red exclamation mark was shown in the battery logo and when i connected it to the mains it wasn't showing signs of re-charging! so i became scared and thought i might have a virus of some sort and reset it.... and still the problem hadn't gone. The battery i believe had charged as it wasn't dying but when i did connect it to the mains it was saying "connect the charger" and the red exclamation mark was still there, battery life was reading '0% - unknown' The problem has seemed to sort itself out but i have a feeling its gonna happen again...? I have read posts from people who have a galaxy phone and not the tablet... they fixed this problem by taking the battery out and putting it in again but this is harder with the tablet as i don't see the battery coming out easily. please guys help me and tell me there's an easy fix and that i don't have to cry haha.

thanks for your help.

Since it is working now, I would keep using it to see if it happens again. It's quite possible that the battery connection is bad, but at the same time, it's possible that the charger is too. I would cold-boot it a few times, just to make sure it wasn't a glitch. If you do experience it again, contact our support line and they can troubleshoot it with you. It's hard to diagnose it while the tablet is working normally and not exhibiting any symptoms.

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I was so adverse to going thru the exchange/return process, I decided to take the plunge and pop the cover off. Once under the hood, YES, as a comm engineer, this is a SERIOUS design flaw by ASUS. The battery is heavy, and not secured, which is fantastic in that it IS replaceable, if it ever comes to that. The problem is the cable is too short, and the connector is not tabbed to "lock" in to place. Therefore, any reasonable amount of shuffling of the Nexus while stored in the box during shipping, or rough usage, will cause the battery to shift to the opposite side, thus resulting in the cable becoming unplugged, or just partially connected, resulting in intermittent problems. Soooo,

1. Pop that cover off, BUT start at the two top corners, and work your way down the sides to the bottom, and tilt off at a 45 degree angle. Fingernails will suffice, and least likely to do damage, plus you get good tactile feedback feeling how much to tug & pull.

2. Once off, you'll see the 5-wire battery cable plain as day, nothing to move or hunt for. If you see ANY of the shiny copper between the two connectors, you have a loose cable. PUSH the battery from the left side towards the connector, just to make sure it is free-floating and not glued down. It is not a good idea to pull on the cable away from the battery, just in case they've started to glue these things down, better to push the battery & cable towards the connector.

3. The black connector should slide right in, but give it an extra tuck with your fingernail, ideally you'll feel/hear it clicking into place.

4. I leave this step to your own design, but now's the time to fix the design flaw: wedge something between the side of the case and the battery to keep it snug towards the connector, and to prevent any future sliding. A quick easy fix is a length of the straw from a juice drink box. It's flexible, just the right width, and non-conductive. But plenty of options here.

5. VERY important: when putting the cover back on, hold it at a 45 degree angle (bottom of Nexus to top) and line up the tabs at the bottom around the USB & headphone connector. This area has some tight spots, and as I learned the hard way, easy to bend the tabs the wrong way. Lower the back into place from the bottom up, all the time making sure all of the bottom tabs are in place. The sides and top don't have any significant obstructions.

6. TA-DA! Powered right up, battery level out of the box was 40%, can't wait to get home to put it on a full charge. Please VOTE on this, and by all means, cut & paste this info on the forty other web pages that have you pushing buttons and playing with chargers and cables for hours on end. They work too, but not without the battery firmly connected

cut and pasted from a very helpful person at productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/SPZ9OoYDoI0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19