Does it have a microphone jack?

Valatar

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The 2012 Nexus 7 only had a headset jack, i.e. you couldn't plug a headset with a mic into the stereo jack and have it work. To be more technical, the stereo jack was a 3-pin TRS plug rather than the 4-pin TRRS that modern phones use to support microphones. Can anyone with the new model try to plug in a headset with microphone and see if the mic works?

Valatar

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna take the word of AC posters over Anandtech's, picking one up tomorrow and will post myself with the results! Hopefully I won't wind up taking it back to the store in tears.

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
How did you guys test? If you didn't do this, could you tap on the actual mics (on the tablet, then the external one you're using) instead of just talking? In the original N7 forum at XDA a lot of people believed and reported their mics to work but the actual tablet mic was the one picking up the sound. Somewhat counterintuitively, it does work when you plug in the headphones so understandably it can be confusing.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
pretty sure it takes mic input. newegg included a free $60 'value' headset w/ mic through a single jack. luckily got in on that deal before it sold out ;)

the product specification also lists mic input.

Audio Ports
1 x Audio Jack (Headphone/Mic-in)

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just looked over at XDA and I think the more definitive evidence is that the Square card reader actually works. Sorry if I sound too skeptical, but if you take a look at the old thread you'd understand.

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but if it didn't have a mic jack, will a mic on a bluetooth headset work?
They're not related so as long as the app is not buggy (which many, including Google Now/Search on my N4 for a few versions now are) BT mic input should work fine.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm here, I got my Nexus, plugged in the Square reader, and it worked. So the new port definitely supports mics.

Plugged in, or actually ran a card? The previous Nexus 7 would recognize when you plugged in the square reader, but it couldn't actually receive the signal from the reader.

*edit*

IT WORKS! I just looked up Square in the app store, and it shows up (it's hidden to the original N7, because it's not compatible). Installed, plugged in the reader, punched in $1.00 (min charge), and swiped my card to test. It works! (I was then able to cancel the payment, so if anyone else wants to try this, go for it, free test.)

igor90

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have a nexus 7 16 mb, so first generation like you Yaytech. I also have an Irig microphone a bit desperate tomake it work!!!

Tell mw whether it works with you now on yours because I see you have both models! And what is square reader?

"*edit*

IT WORKS! I just looked up Square in the app store, and it shows up (it's hidden to the original N7, because it's not compatible). Installed, plugged in the reader, punched in $1.00 (min charge), and swiped my card to test. It works! (I was then able to cancel the payment, so if anyone else wants to try this, go for it, free test.)
Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
Phone: Droid MAXX
Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)"

Igor

igor90

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Plugged in, or actually ran a card? The previous Nexus 7 would recognize when you plugged in the square reader, but it couldn't actually receive the signal from the reader.

*edit*

Here ismy question below, many thanks in advance for your help, igor

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have a nexus 7 16 mb, so first generation like you Yaytech. I also have an Irig microphone a bit desperate tomake it work!!!

Tell mw whether it works with you now on yours because I see you have both models! And what is square reader?

"*edit*

Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
Phone: Droid MAXX
Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)"

Igor

This forum section is for the 2nd generation / 2013 model Nexus 7. The second generation does support microphone input through the headphone jack, and works with Square (though the app will currently occasionally complain about not being officially supported - it's always worked for me).

If you have a 1st generation / 2012 model Nexus 7, the headphone jack does not support microphone input, and can never support a square card reader. It's not a software issue, it's hardware. If you need to use Square, the only way to do it on a 1st gen Nexus 7 is through manual entry of card numbers, the card swiper does not and will never work.

Also note that having a 16gb Nexus 7 does not necessarily mean you have a 1st gen Nexus 7. The 2nd gen is sold in both 16 and 32gb versions (plus a 32gb + 4G version). If you have a silver bezel around the edge of the front, it is a 1st gen. If there is no silver trim, it is a 2nd gen.

bxtgraphics

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone help? I have a LG V10 and when I have it on speakerphone the microphone works fine, as soon as I take it off speakerphone and put the phone up to my ear, the mic appears to loose the ability to pick up noise. Any ideas?