Tether via Bluetooth

choudhrysaab

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I searched the forums and the net but haven't really gotten a conclusive answer about tethering via Bluetooth between my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Nexus 7 (2nd Gen). So I'll give you the details as much as my personal troubleshooting goes. Both devices pair just fine and are able to communicate (because file sharing works). While playing around with the settings on both devices I was able to configure my Nexus 7 as a hotspot where my S4 was able to connect to the internet via Bluetooth tethering but it doesn't work the other way around. There's a video on YouTube suggesting if you quickly press the "connect to the internet" (i don't know if i should call it a button or option) right after pairing the devices then it does work but I've tried that too. My N7 is using stock Android 4.3 and my S4 is using Samsung's version of TouchWiz Android 4.2.2. Before anyone starts suggesting that I can make my S4 hotspot via WiFi then yes I know and it works too but my friend has a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) and he can tether via Bluetooth from his N4 to N7 without any problem. Is there an issue with S4 Bluetooth stack where it won't allow to send tethering data but it can receive since it worked for me last night?

Is there anyone out there who's able to tether using S4 to N7 successfully (and i don't mean using 3rd party apps).

Please help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I searched the forums and the net but haven't really gotten a conclusive answer about tethering via Bluetooth between my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Nexus 7 (2nd Gen). So I'll give you the details as much as my personal troubleshooting goes. Both devices pair just fine and are able to communicate (because file sharing works). While playing around with the settings on both devices I was able to configure my Nexus 7 as a hotspot where my S4 was able to connect to the internet via Bluetooth tethering but it doesn't work the other way around. There's a video on YouTube suggesting if you quickly press the "connect to the internet" (i don't know if i should call it a button or option) right after pairing the devices then it does work but I've tried that too. My N7 is using stock Android 4.3 and my S4 is using Samsung's version of TouchWiz Android 4.2.2. Before anyone starts suggesting that I can make my S4 hotspot via WiFi then yes I know and it works too but my friend has a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) and he can tether via Bluetooth from his N4 to N7 without any problem. Is there an issue with S4 Bluetooth stack where it won't allow to send tethering data but it can receive since it worked for me last night?

Is there anyone out there who's able to tether using S4 to N7 successfully (and i don't mean using 3rd party apps).

Please help.

Welcome to the forums!
I am not sure what to suggest. I tried connecting my S2 to my S3, and they wouldn't do it.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
May I ask why you want to do this? Bluetooth tethering is incredibly slow in comparison to a simple wifi hotspot. That is why Samsung creates an instant wifi connection to transfer files when you tap 2 Galaxy S4s together instead of the way Android uses the NFC tap on Nexus devices (bluetooth).

newbie6

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem tethering via bluetooth my galaxy 4 and BB playbook. I want to use my phones Internet connection while away from a wifi connection. Devices pair but Web connection fails. Any ideas?

gwtx2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
On the S4 make sure you have tethering enabled. This can be found under Settings>Connections>More Networks. Turn on Bluetooth tethering. On the client device, enabled Internet Access in the Bluethtooth settings for the paired device. I'm rooted with a custom ROM so my menu may be different than others. Works perfect for me.

Darien Skyler

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
for me, it is because I want to tether the wifi connection im using. this worked from some roms such as darthstalker or hyperdrive. they have it but i have connection issues on those roms so i did something way better. :p

Ulises Medrano

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I posted a video on youtube on how to connect to the Internet using bluetooth tethering search on youtube ulisesja the title of the video is called share intrtnet via bluetooth using 3g or 4g