Can I move photos from a regular camera to my Nexus 7?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am going on vacation and I would like to move photos off of my regular Olympus camera to my Nexus for safe keeping. That way I would have backups on my Nexus and the originals on my camera. This would save me taking my Netbook with me. Is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can I move photos from a regular camers to my Nexus 7?

The easiest way would be a USB card reader for your memory card, an OTG cable and the Nexus Media Player app. Then you can just leave them on the camera's memory card and view them at will. If you will have wifi access on your vacation, you could upload all of them to a Flickr account or a Google Drive account from your PC and then just use the Driver or Flickr app on the tablet. 3rd option is to upload them to your PC, then connect your table to the PC and copy them back.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I am going on a cruise and although WiFi is available it is very expensive and slow so I don't really want to go that route. The OTG and Nexus Media app sounds like the way to go. Can I use the same devices to transfer from my Nexus to a USB thumb drive? That would get them off of the Nexus (to free up space) but safe on the USB drive.

So can I transfer from my SD card in the camera to my Nexus and then from my Nexus to a USB drive? Currently I have 22 GB free on my Nexus. Not sure how much space pictures would take up. I would probably have 400-500 pictures from a 10 day cruise.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes!
You can do this using "Nexus Media Importer" (incorrect name in prior post) and SD card (with reader) as well as Thumb drive connected to N7 USB via an OTG cable. First "import" card contents into N7. Replace SD with Thumb. Then set NMI to "export" to Thumbdrive.

Not the most convenient operation, but it will work. If it were me, I'd buy a bunch more SD cards and not worry about backups.

When using N7 for travel, my primary use for N7 and NMI is to view photos (videos) on the larger hi-res N7 screen. Also to copy user manuals and other docs for easy reference.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

(incorrect name in prior post)

Yep, sorry about that.

If it were me, I'd buy a bunch more SD cards and not worry about backups.

Agree, or in my case a few flash drives. They are pretty inexpensive these days.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Not sure how much space pictures would take up. I would probably have 400-500 pictures from a 10 day cruise.

I just looked at one of my albums from my last trip. 480 high quality photos only take up a little more than 1GB. I don't think you have any space concerns.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if you are aware of this, but instead of carrying around an OTG cable, and an SD card reader for USB you can find both of these together in a plastic plug-in to N7. I'm using a gadget I found on ebay. Accepts either SDHC or micro-SD; plugs directly into N7 USB; measures 1 x 1.5 x 1/4; cost me $1.38 (shipping included)

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I just checked the price of memory cards. They are very cheap IF I use my newest camera which uses SD cards. But if I decide to take my older camera, it uses XD cards and those are about $30 each! Not so cheap. The reason I was going to use the older camera was because it is smaller and more portable on a cruise. I guess I will go with the newer one and buy extra SD cards for peace of mind. I am just a little paranoid about losing all of my photos which is why I want backups.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I did exactly this on a trip last summer. I used an OTG cable, card reader, Nexus Media Importer, and thumb drive. I copied the RAW files from the compact flash card in my Canon 40D to the Nexus and then moved them from there to the thumb drive. Worked great. It also gave me a chance to review the pics on the N7.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Must have taken lots of time to do this. How long to move (say) 100 RAW from camera card to N7 to Thumb? Worth the effort and bother?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Must have taken lots of time to do this. How long to move (say) 100 RAW from camera card to N7 to Thumb? Worth the effort and bother?
Actually wasn't all that slow. 100 RAW x 11MB/RAW = 1.1GB, so yeah, it takes a bit of time but having lost shots/data in the past due to one odd thing or another, it was worth the time to do it each evening for peace of mind. You could kick off copy from one medium to another and just let it go and come back to finish. As others mention, another approach is just leaving on cards and using more cards as needed - I did it for the backup, not for needed additional storage.

Tictyler

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

It may work on the condition that the camera of the poster contains a suitable SDHC or micro-SD which can be inserted into the piece. If the condition support, I wonder if still the "Nexus Media Importer" app is needed to assist the data input.
Not sure if your Nexus support the OTG or not. Here I find a probuct " OTG usb 3.0 hub SDHX card reader combo " in Amazon. If Your Nexus support OTG function. It may be work.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if the SD cards with built-in Wifi would work with the Nexus and simplify the whole situation. They're more expensive than regular SD cards, but I don't remember them being crazy expensive.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

I would put my photos on the cloud like Google Drive ..That way you can view them but not jam up your tablet.
As I recall 10 or 12 Giga bytes are free..

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I would put my photos on the cloud like Google Drive ..That way you can view them but not jam up your tablet.
As I recall 10 or 12 Giga bytes are free..

She still has to get them from her camera (not the tablet's camera) to her tablet first, unless she also hauls a laptop with her, which it sounds like would defeat the point.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Good Point..I assumed that she had a home pc or mac she could load them on. Then upload them to the cloud.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

The easiest way would be a USB card reader for your memory card, an OTG cable and the Nexus Media Player app. Then you can just leave them on the camera's memory card and view them at will.
Coupled with some extra SD cards, that describes photo storage/review on my last overseas trip.

NorCalRushfan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if the SD cards with built-in Wifi would work with the Nexus and simplify the whole situation. They're more expensive than regular SD cards, but I don't remember them being crazy expensive.

I'm a real estate appraiser moving to mobile inspecting using a Nexus 7 with my point and shoot camera. This SD card was recommended by my software vendor.

Amazon.com: Eye-Fi Mobi 8GB SDHC Class 10 Wireless Memory Card, Frustration Free Packaging (MOBI-8-FF) CURRENT MODEL: Computers & Accessories

It will pair with your Nexus via wi fi and will allow for instantaneous transfer from your camera to your Nexus 7. You'll have copies of the files on your camera and tablet. $40 from Amazon.

Just got my new Nexus 7 and was able to very easily move photos over from my point and shoot camera. It's unbelievably easy. Great solution if you want to automatically copy photos from a camera to a wi-fi enabled device like a tablet.

Last edited: