GPS and the Caribbean

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am going on a cruise. I would like to be able to look at the current ships position on my Nexus 7 but without a WiFi connection. WiFi connections are very expensive on a ship not to mention slow. We will be in the Eastern Caribbean. St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, and St. Kitts. Is there a app that would suit my needs? I don't need navigation obviously, just want to pinpoint our ships location. I am assuming I would need to also pre-load maps of that whole area somehow. Can anyone help me?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can pre-load the map on Google Maps. Just go to the area you'll be in, click on the search bar and instead of searching, scroll all the way down to "Make this map area available offline" (But please note that some areas, due to each country's restrictions, cannot be saved for offline viewing). GPS data will not need WiFi to work (although it may take a bit longer to lock onto your position).

If you want to save a 'path', there are third party apps mostly used for hiking or running that can save your coordinates over time. When you get a working WiFi connection you can overlay that path onto an actual map.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think save maps offline is available anymore in the latest version of maps?

Update: never mind I just found it, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo