Battery, Heating Up, Overall Performance N9 UPDATE

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I got the Nexus 9 at midnight on launch day but after using it for the last couple of days I'm thinking about returning it tomorrow and getting the new iPad air 2. I've never really been a fan of Apple products but I wanted something that is faster with overall performance and has better battery life. I really like the nexus 9, but I thought the new K1 chip would be faster than it is and battery life is really bad for a tablet. I'm Very surprised that it heats up with very minimal use as well. I've owned so many different Android devices over there past 10 years. I just expected a little more with how much this cost. the questions I have is how soon do you think they will make an update for the N9 with the 3 issues I'm disliking and what is your take going from an Android tablet to an iPad? I really wanna keep the Nexus just because I've liked them so much in the past, what do you guys think?

Posted via the Android Central App

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the Nexus 9 at midnight on launch day but after using it for the last couple of days I'm thinking about returning it tomorrow and getting the new iPad air 2. I've never really been a fan of Apple products but I wanted something that is faster with overall performance and has better battery life. I really like the nexus 9, but I thought the new K1 chip would be faster than it is and battery life is really bad for a tablet. I'm Very surprised that it heats up with very minimal use as well. I've owned so many different Android devices over there past 10 years. I just expected a little more with how much this cost. the questions I have is how soon do you think they will make an update for the N9 with the 3 issues I'm disliking and what is your take going from an Android tablet to an iPad? I really wanna keep the Nexus just because I've liked them so much in the past, what do you guys think?

Posted via the Android Central App

Personally, if you feel dissatisfied with the tablet, I'd say return it. This device isn't an inexpensive investment and you shouldn't "settle" if those annoyances are bothering you. You could return it and wait to hear if HTC or Google releases new N9 tablets addressing the issues most have discussed in reviews and here or go Apple if you desire. My only issue with Apple's tablets is, you can't go through a file folder structure as you can in Android. Since I MAME and do a lot of documentation, I utilize file (explorer) folders all the time.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

J

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with jstwondrng. If it is not working for you return it. They will be more 64 bit Android tablets in the near future.

As for the iPad Air2, it is kind of a meeh for me. I tried it out and I don't see anything that make me upgrade from an iPad retina or the original iPad Air. More of the same. And the price is getting up there since the 16 GB model is pretty useless. There is even a question if you can take an upgrade on the 16 GB model.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with jstwondrng. If it is not working for you return it. They will be more 64 bit Android tablets in the near future.

As for the iPad Air2, it is kind of a meeh for me. I tried it out and I don't see anything that make me upgrade from an iPad retina or the original iPad Air. More of the same. And the price is getting up there since the 16 GB model is pretty useless. There is even a question if you can take an upgrade on the 16 GB model.

That's exactly how I feel with Apple ipads, they are just meeh because of the lack of customization, iTunes, etc. I'm not a big fan if other android tablets other than the Nexus line also. I'm stuck with what to do and i need a tablet for my business. I'm A photographer. I'm even thinking about the surface pro 3 but the price is a lot higher than both apple and Nexus

Posted via Android Central App

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Only just got mine so can't comment too much.

What are you finding slow?

It just seems sluggish in some areas where it shouldn't be IMO. I understand it's a new 64 bit and new OS (5.0) but I thought it would be doing what it's doing. Nothing major but definitely noticeable with someone that has used/owned so many devices over the past 10 years

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly how I feel with Apple ipads, they are just meeh because of the lack of customization, iTunes, etc. I'm not a big fan if other android tablets other than the Nexus line also. I'm stuck with what to do and i need a tablet for my business. I'm A photographer. I'm even thinking about the surface pro 3 but the price is a lot higher than both apple and Nexus

Interesting that you mention the surface pro 3. That is on my list. And for photography (just as a hobby).

The way I figure it if you are going to buy a laptop and a tablet then you can be ahead financially with the Surface Pro 3. And having full Lightroom, Photoshop, etc is much better than the version you can get on any other tablet. I need to be able to process raw files and run filters, remotely trigger my cameras and strobes. I figure an i5 or i7 processor will do this better since Lightroom and Photoshop will detect the multiple cores and split the processing across all of the cores.
Jerry

lamb2471

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the random sluggishness too. It really feels to me like the device should have shipped with more RAM. I've noticed I use Feedly, occasionally opening a website in Chrome directly from Feedly. Always closing the Chrome tabs after I'm done...then hit the home button. Takes a moment. Homescreen comes up, then the background (I'm using the default) loads in maybe a second later. But this is just a small example, there's a good number of slowdowns. Still, other times, the thing feels blazing fast...I think plenty of CPU horsepower, not enough RAM. Still, just observations. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to test my theory.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that you mention the surface pro 3. That is on my list. And for photography (just as a hobby).

The way I figure it if you are going to buy a laptop and a tablet then you can be ahead financially with the Surface Pro 3. And having full Lightroom, Photoshop, etc is much better than the version you can get on any other tablet. I need to be able to process raw files and run filters, remotely trigger my cameras and strobes. I figure an i5 or i7 processor will do this better since Lightroom and Photoshop will detect the multiple cores and split the processing across all of the cores.
Jerry

The i5 and i7 surface 3 are just way to expensive, I already have a 3000$ laptop so I'm not trying to spend 1200$+ on a tablet. And idk if the i3 would handle photoshop or light room which I would wanna use. that's why I'm stuck with what to do. I'm not sure I'm gonna be satisfied with the iPad 😑

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11