1. Sandwhichx's Avatar


    (Sorry for the YouTube link but I'm not sure how else to post a video here)

    My nexus 9 started doing this maybe a week or so ago and does it every few days. Turning it off and back on makes it stop but I'd like to know why it's happening and what I can do to fix it.

    I don't know if it's related at all, but about a month ago it wouldn't turn on. It would just sit on the Google screen for hours until it died - which took a while since I initially thought it was just a dead battery and let it charge overnight. I tried clearing the cache partition which didn't work so I did a factory reset which did, but now this.

    I haven't dropped it or anything so that can't be a cause. I'm wondering if it has anything to with the tablet being prone to overheating?
    11-17-2016 10:00 PM
  2. Rukbat's Avatar
    It could be due to overheating, or to the thing causing the overheating (like a bad GPU). It's either the motherboard, the screen or the cable connecting them. It has to go into a repair shop regardless.
    11-17-2016 11:20 PM
  3. thatguy97's Avatar
    It could be due to overheating, or to the thing causing the overheating (like a bad GPU). It's either the motherboard, the screen or the cable connecting them. It has to go into a repair shop regardless.
    Gotta wonder whether the cost of fixing it is worth it and if that money is better spent on something like a chromebook or pixel C.
    11-18-2016 06:24 PM
  4. hallergard's Avatar
    Warranty? Bought mine from Google who honors 2 years warranty and replaced my Nexus 9
    11-19-2016 02:35 AM
  5. NeilMex's Avatar
    I had the exact same issue, fortunately mine was still under warranty (one month left) and google sent me a new one.
    11-23-2016 07:12 PM
  6. jstwondrng's Avatar
    I wish I was that fortunate. My tablet just started doing this a couple days ago and yesterday I had major issues with it within seconds of turning it on. Not sure what to do at this point.

    J
    01-19-2017 08:56 AM
  7. Pieter Nemegeer's Avatar
    i have (maybe temporary) solution:

    i fixed two nexus 9's who had same issue.
    first of all the issue: when dropping below a certain battery percetage (one nexus 9 had a below 30% problem, the other a below 70 %) any heating caused the tablet to give scrambled screen and very loud scrambled noise.

    solution:
    turn off tablet.
    peel back cover off (be careful because back camera might stick to it, wich would make your repair more difficult).
    release battery connector. wait a minute (don't know if that's necessary, but it won't hurt).
    reconnect battery.
    put cover back on
    turn on tablet
    test

    please let me know if this helped you

    my two nexus 9's have no issues anymore for over a month now!
    01-30-2017 05:39 AM
  8. jstwondrng's Avatar
    i have (maybe temporary) solution:

    i fixed two nexus 9's who had same issue.
    first of all the issue: when dropping below a certain battery percetage (one nexus 9 had a below 30% problem, the other a below 70 %) any heating caused the tablet to give scrambled screen and very loud scrambled noise.

    solution:
    turn off tablet.
    peel back cover off (be careful because back camera might stick to it, wich would make your repair more difficult).
    release battery connector. wait a minute (don't know if that's necessary, but it won't hurt).
    reconnect battery.
    put cover back on
    turn on tablet
    test

    please let me know if this helped you

    my two nexus 9's have no issues anymore for over a month now!
    But how difficult is it to take the rear casing off? I really don't want to ruin my tablet, at least until I decide what I'm going to upgrade to in the near future.

    J
    01-30-2017 08:53 AM
  9. Pieter Nemegeer's Avatar
    not hard, just look for a video on youtube
    be careful around camera, you won't break it but might loosen the camera, and putting that back means more work
    01-31-2017 02:31 AM
  10. jstwondrng's Avatar
    Will do... Thanks!

    J
    01-31-2017 08:57 AM
  11. Pieter Nemegeer's Avatar
    let me know if it worked!
    02-01-2017 02:26 AM
  12. jstwondrng's Avatar
    let me know if it worked!
    Will do.

    J
    02-02-2017 09:16 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2016, 02:04 AM
  2. can i keep my tablet on the power bank while using it?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 11:04 PM
  3. why wont my phone let me turn off the password
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 09:36 PM
  4. Why wont videos load on my snapchat on my tablet
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 09:08 PM
  5. Why isn't Google now reading my new Text?
    By sindian in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD