Pixel 2 = Bezelmania

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
������ why do you need "data"? Can't you see just from complaints on these forums and YouTube comments that people are getting fed up of these front designs?

I will never buy a Samsung and the G6 has way too many flaws, but credit to both companies for driving the new trend. Can't say the same for other brands.

P.S. the U11 is the phone of the year so far, but it's so needlessly large because of these damn bezels.

TBH I only really ask for minimal side bezels, I can live with a bit of vertical bezel. I don't understand why phones don't at least get rid of the side ones, by and large.

I will concede that among the most vocal of tech nerds who choose to talk about bezels, most of them prefer small bezels. However, your term of "nobody" was too easy to falsify, even within the forums as was the other gentlemen speaking of "most people". If you instead change it to, "I like ____" then there's nothing to argue against, unless someone thinks you're lying about what you like, then the burden of proof would be on them to establish why they think that.

The side bezels are protecting the display. Minimizing is something I'm also fine with, but eliminating it like the S7 Edge, S8, etc. is a very bad mistake IMO.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Most important thing for me is I prefer 16/9 ratio to avoid bars or distortion of video. I watch TV sports and TV shows often on my phone and they are all 16/9. Most movies I watch through Xfinity on demand have been converted to 16/9 although I don't really watch movies on my phone anyway.

I like 5.7 inch screen with 16/9 ratio. I don't care at all about bezels except many manufacturers may remove led notifications or other features just to facilitate tiny bezels. I don't care about the bezels but don't want to lose features and truly hate 2/1 screen ratio.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Looks like Google will be trying an old Apple tactic with the pixel 2. Re-cycle old junk with a new processor. Same huge bezels. Price it at a premium. HEY RICK, it won't work. You won't sell 50,000. People want minimum bezels in a small form fator.

Never say what "people" want.
What that really means is what you want, and what you think people should want.
Take the example of the Essential Phone, where there is a cutout for the camera which permanently removes part of the screen from being used
In that case I would rather have a bezel at the top to have the camera, and I am a fan of capacitative buttons due to the consistency which an on-screen bar does not have.
SOME people have a problem with bezels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Take the example of the Essential Phone, where there is a cutout for the camera which permanently removes part of the screen from being used
In that case I would rather have a bezel at the top to have the camera, and I am a fan of capacitative buttons due to the consistency which an on-screen bar does not have.

Yes I think this is where we were trying to get to.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Spot on!

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I am so sick of the Samsung stutter, especially snapdragon Samsung's. I am trying to sell my S7 edge to get a Pixel, only question is should I wait for Pixel 2 or get a Pixel cheap. The Pixel is soooooo much smoother and fluid as far as I can tell, I am sure some apps are always crap on Android, but I can live with that.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I am so sick of the Samsung stutter, especially snapdragon Samsung's. I am trying to sell my S7 edge to get a Pixel, only question is should I wait for Pixel 2 or get a Pixel cheap. The Pixel is soooooo much smoother and fluid as far as I can tell, I am sure some apps are always crap on Android, but I can live with that.

Wait for the 2 XL.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

You did exactly what you accused him of. People clearly prefer no bezels to bezels. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You did exactly what you accused him of. People clearly prefer no bezels to bezels. There is no evidence to the contrary.
Some people do, others don't. That's evidence to the contrary.

But when you say people, you mean most people, as you said before, and that's what's already been established as being untrue it at least unknown. Why can't you just speak for yourself and leave the other billions of people you want to speak for out of it?

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

At this point, I don't care one way or the other. I certainly haven't been unhappy with (or even noticed) the size of the bezels on my Nexus 5x. Not being a fan of phablets, I do like the idea of maximizing screen size, while minimizing overall form factor. If smaller bezels are a means to that end without compromising usability, then great. However, as with phablets, I won't compromise usability for aesthetics.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am sad Pixel 2XL is apparently adopting the 2/1 screen ratio. Why are they following Sammy's lead?

Samsung is the one and only leader in the Android market. As a result it has many fanatically loyal users. (as does Pixel) One piece of evidence is the number who will pre-order the expensive Note 8 without trying one first or waiting to see if there are any common defects or complaints.

The problem is this means a huge number of people will embrace almost any change they make. Curved edges making phone more prone to shattering, distorted edge view when reading, but no technical advantage? "Ooo I've got to get one. The curves are so pretty" . Now many others want one because this is clearly the cool Android to have. Result - now many phones adding curved edges.

Let me ask - suppose LG added them first or even Pixel? Would the entire industry follow? No way. Samsung folks would say they were silly and gimmicky and like the LG failed experiment to modular add ons the curved edges would disappear.

I believe the 2/1 screen ratio is another example. Youtube and tv shows either stretched and distorted or black bars making real usable phone screen smaller? What if HTC did it first? Would it be universally praised? Would Sammy and iPhone follow suit or would it be dismissed as ruining video display while making phone long and skinny?

What if Sammy had invented "Mods" and had camera mods and battery mods etc? Wouldn't it have been the coolest thing ever? I think it would although I hate them.

I've heard Android users referring to those who wait in line for hours to get the newest iPhone as "sheeple" Are we Samsung or Pixel users really much different? Is there any radical change we would reject and move on to LG or HTC or Moto?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No he didn't. He said "I would rather" and " I am not a fan of". He didn't say "People would rather" .. etc

He said SOME people have a problem with bezels, which implies that most don't. That isn't true. There were two common complaints with the Pixel and Pixel XL: that they were overpriced (true) and that they looked outdated on day one because of the bezels (also true).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the 2:1 ratio either, but that is how the industry is moving. Not just Samsung (though they matter the most as @recDNA points out).

The curved screens are nice though. The Note 7 felt awesome in hand. No issues at all with that. NO "distorted reading", no shattering issues (I don't drop my phone much).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
He said SOME people have a problem with bezels, which implies that most don't. That isn't true. ....

You're picking nits here. Some people do, implies SOME people don't (not most) if you really need to be technical about it. Anyway, I don't care about bezels, and no one I know cares about them either. SO I guess "some" people don't ....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're picking nits here. Some people do, implies SOME people don't (not most) if you really need to be technical about it. Anyway, I don't care about bezels, and no one I know cares about them either. SO I guess "some" people don't ....

Some is an unquantified value indicating that it is some part of a whole that is greater than none of it. Would you like some pie = would you like any part of the pie, which could be one slice or the whole thing or anything in between.

In a group of 10 people, some people (given that people is plural) is anywhere from 2 to 10 people.

In a group of 3.5 billion smartphone owners, SOME people is anywhere between 2 and 3.5 billion. MOST people is at least 1.75 billion +1 of them.