For those debating the Fold 5 or Pixel Fold...

Negan_n_Lucille

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm primarily an iPhone user, and my 14 Pro Max is still my main device (all my friends and family use iPhones). However, for everything else I've been using the pixel fold. The first few days I was a bit bored with this thing but, then all a sudden I loved using it...a lot 🤷

The front display on the Galaxy Fold never really bothered me unless I was trying to watch video. In some instances, I preferred it, say if I was scrolling twitter or even FB.

I prefer pixel android OS - it's a cleaner and more consistent UI, even the stock sounds for notifications, etc, sound that of a more premium device.

I'm HOPING, with the release of Android 14, developers will optimize their apps but I'm not going to hold my breath. I believe 14 makes it easier for developers to do so.

I anticipate the snapdragon gen 2 chip will mainly benefit the Galaxy Fold 5 in battery life, and small changes is image processing.

So for those debating between the Galaxy Fold 5 and the pixel 5, it really comes down to which software suits you best, and cameras - which I do believe the pixel will still edge out the Fold 5.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Several of my coworkers have Samsung Foldables. I just can't get behind using one as they just don't feel worth the price tag. When my fingers touch the soft plastic screen, it screams 2004. If they were closer to $1200-$1400, I'd consider one. But not double the price of a flagship device. I can buy a phone and tablet for cheaper and they will last longer than a flexible, foldable phone.

The form factor is different though and that's what I like. One of my coworkers has the Pixel 7 pro and the Fold 3 or 4. But he buys them outright from Swappa. So he has the luxury of being able to switch to a slab phone when he wants a break from the foldable.

I also don't understand why they don't put a bigger battery in them as most people will use the larger display most of the time.

I'm also guessing that third party accessories and cases are harder to find for foldables.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Several of my coworkers have Samsung Foldables. I just can't get behind using one as they just don't feel worth the price tag. When my fingers touch the soft plastic screen, it screams 2004. If they were closer to $1200-$1400, I'd consider one. But not double the price of a flagship device. I can buy a phone and tablet for cheaper and they will last longer than a flexible, foldable phone.

The form factor is different though and that's what I like. One of my coworkers has the Pixel 7 pro and the Fold 3 or 4. But he buys them outright from Swappa. So he has the luxury of being able to switch to a slab phone when he wants a break from the foldable.

I also don't understand why they don't put a bigger battery in them as most people will use the larger display most of the time.

I'm also guessing that third party accessories and cases are harder to find for foldables.
You have some good points, particularly the pricy nature of these devices and the potential for failure of the inner screen or it glass/plastic nature.

I don't know about general accessories other than car/vent/dash holder for the open position. But already there are dozens of cases for the Pixel Fold - more than I expected this early after release.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I

Use to use a flip4 and fold4 ,2 devices until 8 switched to the RAZR+......love it!

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You have some good points, particularly the pricy nature of these devices and the potential for failure of the inner screen or it glass/plastic nature.

I don't know about general accessories other than car/vent/dash holder for the open position. But already there are dozens of cases for the Pixel Fold - more than I expected this early after release.
Are there actually any good premium cases available though? Or is it just a sea of mid-tier brands and no name junk?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are there actually any good premium cases available though? Or is it just a sea of mid-tier brands and no name junk?
There's definitely a lot of no-name cases. Junk is in the eye of the beholder. I am into protecting the front/outside screen so go with book or folio cases that wrap around the entire phone. I've returned one that was too loose or sloppy. But even these types of cases have a large number of choices - many no-name.

One I've been using now is suede-ish but obviously was designed for some other phone since it has a speaker slot on the front near its top. There is no speaker there on the Fold. Ooopppps. :oops:

Most of the folio types have slots for credit cards - making them thicker than I would prefer. Most have some form of magnetic straps to keep the cover closed. Not as clean as the Stilgut (see below)

There are a number of plastic frame cases some by known brands and lots of NOT. There are screen protectors by name brands.

I really have liked Stilgut cases with a little hook that keeps the front cover clasped. But I noticed that they don't even make such a case for the Samsung foldables so don't expect one for the Pixel.

Obviously one has to sort through the offerings

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

It's actually a bendable glass, but for your sake we will call it plastic. Can you imagine the weight of it if it was actual glass?? I mean google Pixel fold is 283g with "plastic" , so it would be pretty unyielding with glass. The inner screens on the foldable aren't as fragile as some people like to state. I ran my Zfold4 for almost a year without a screen protector and no issues, my screen was fine.

I agree, foldables are not for everyone though

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's actually a bendable glass, but for your sake we will call it plastic. Can you imagine the weight of it if it was actual glass?? I mean google Pixel fold is 283g with "plastic" , so it would be pretty unyielding with glass. The inner screens on the foldable aren't as fragile as some people like to state. I ran my Zfold4 for almost a year without a screen protector and no issues, my screen was fine.

I agree, foldables are not for everyone though
I don't mind the feel of the screen protector, you can still feel the glass underneath, and the screen protector seems to hide fingerprints better than the oleophobic coating on my slab phones.

That's why they went with the Ultra Thin Glass approach, to give more of a "premium" feel vs an all plastic screen. At first I wondered if that was the right approach, seemed like they were overcomplicating things, but I like it a lot now 😁

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Question: The inside screen is or is NOT protected by some form of "plastic" protector over the underlying bendable/flexible glass? That's the layer that does not quite cover to the bezels, right?

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Question: The inside screen is or is NOT protected by some form of "plastic" protector over the underlying bendable/flexible glass? That's the layer that does not quite cover to the bezels, right?
It is. And it's the general consensus that this protector should be considered part of the screen, making the "glass" a little pointless.

I'm pretty sure the entire screen doesn't make it alll the way to the bezel, but it's hard to say as I've never taken the protector off a folding screen.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm primarily an iPhone user, and my 14 Pro Max is still my main device (all my friends and family use iPhones). However, for everything else I've been using the pixel fold. The first few days I was a bit bored with this thing but, then all a sudden I loved using it...a lot 🤷

The front display on the Galaxy Fold never really bothered me unless I was trying to watch video. In some instances, I preferred it, say if I was scrolling twitter or even FB.

I prefer pixel android OS - it's a cleaner and more consistent UI, even the stock sounds for notifications, etc, sound that of a more premium device.

I'm HOPING, with the release of Android 14, developers will optimize their apps but I'm not going to hold my breath. I believe 14 makes it easier for developers to do so.

I anticipate the snapdragon gen 2 chip will mainly benefit the Galaxy Fold 5 in battery life, and small changes is image processing.

So for those debating between the Galaxy Fold 5 and the pixel 5, it really comes down to which software suits you best, and cameras - which I do believe the pixel will still edge out the Fold 5.
Pixel cameras are amazing! Pixel really nailed mobile photography!

damac3

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
So its strange but the front screen of the Pixel Fold vs the Fold 5 is what did it for me. Sure, I use the large screen a lot, but I think we all still use that front screen quite a bit. I hate the dimensions of the Fold 5 front screen. The Pixel Fold is perfect in that respect. I also think its takes amazing pictures and videos. (plus a better zoom). This is my first Pixel device (I also got the watch). I am very pleased with the clean version of Android OS that I am working with. I had a Fold 3 but couldn't handle the bulk and battery life (and the difficult to use front screen). I am sure the Fold 5 is a good device that is a little slimmer and has much improved battery life, but I really like the Pixel Fold.