Why Shipping Delays?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
What makes these phones so different/difficult to manufacture that Google couldn’t stockpile these for launch? The chipset isn’t new and there really isn’t any other groundbreaking technology in these phones.

Perhaps they were just behind in their product cycle and didn’t want to lose out to the iPhone?

Google just sucks with supply. This has been a thing since back in the nexus days. You would think by now Google would have this down, but nope. It makes sense if they are selling iPhone like numbers (where they just cant make them fast enough) but that isn't the case with android devices.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Guys, Seriously.. This has been happening to Apple for over 10 years. It's nothing new in the tech world. It's even happening to Samsung with the Note 8, just check the forums.

I don't think Google understood how popular the Pixel had gotten to be honest. I honestly believe in 2-3 years They'll be battling Samsung and Apple.

Could it be a marketing ploy for the manufacturers? To create the sense that it is selling beyond expectations because it is such a 'hot' product?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think they just have a certain day they release on and start shipping on.
The pre order maybe just to see how well it might sell ,,or how much demand there is for.

That might make it easier to know how many to produce,for when they actually start shipping.
It was the same way last year,nothing different this year .Hopefully this year they will be better prepared tho, time will tell.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Little confused on what people would prefer. Are you saying it would be better if they sat and produced them for 3 months, store them in a warehouse, then made the announcement and shipped them the same day?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Little confused on what people would prefer. Are you saying it would be better if they sat and produced them for 3 months, store them in a warehouse, then made the announcement and shipped them the same day?

I just wish they did what Apple does. Announce on a Tuesday or something, pre-orders start that Friday, and then ships 1 week from the Friday that starts pre-orders. I wish all manufacturers did this.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just wish they did what Apple does. Announce on a Tuesday or something, pre-orders start that Friday, and then ships 1 week from the Friday that starts pre-orders. I wish all manufacturers did this.

I like Google's better, it's kind of available to preorder immediately after (even while the event going on) and then ships couple of weeks later. Sure, you need to be early to get launch day delivery and that's no different on iPhone you got to be quick and get your order at 12 am to have a chance of launch day delivery. I'll be placing the iPhone X pre-order and can't imagine how quickly that will go back in shipping giving the hype and demand that's generated.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Is that what apples does? The iPhone X is still not available... It's been longer since the announcement.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I like Google's better, it's kind of available to preorder immediately after (even while the event going on) and then ships couple of weeks later. Sure, you need to be early to get launch day delivery and that's no different on iPhone you got to be quick and get your order at 12 am to have a chance of launch day delivery. I'll be placing the iPhone X pre-order and can't imagine how quickly that will go back in shipping giving the hype and demand that's generated.

That's the problem. Apple does 12 am. Which means if you aren't up...you don't get it. Google goes up during the keynote. I ordered mine that day, easily.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is that what apples does? The iPhone X is still not available... It's been longer since the announcement.

That's more like an exception, generally Apple, Google, Samsung are all good to make them available in a decent time after announcement. Compare that to clueless LG .. They suck.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

LOL. Yes one phone model they do that with but look back the past couple of years and what I said is true.

I get trying to justify but let's not stretch so hard ;).

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's amazing how quick and eager we are to throw $650 to $1,000 at Google for a phone, when most of us already have a phone which is fairly Wonderful by all standards. Worst case scenario, I have to hold onto my $650 for another week

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how quick and eager we are to throw $650 to $1,000 at Google for a phone, when most of us already have a phone which is fairly Wonderful by all standards. Worst case scenario, I have to hold onto my $650 for another week

I am eager to have the product. I have already come to terms with the cost. It is no different then someone being eager to go to Disney... even though they will be throwing away thousands as well, right? ;).

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I am eager to have the product. I have already come to terms with the cost. It is no different then someone being eager to go to Disney... even though they will be throwing away thousands as well, right? ;).

Don't get me wrong, I'm right with you there. I ordered it on launch day also, but I had a reason....... my original pixel is oh-so last year

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

LOL yea, we should really expect Google to compete with those two brands after only being in the market fairly recently, at least with the Pixel. As long as they get Android updates and security patches first, Google will always have that upper-hand over other Android OEMs. At this point, it's all a matter of using their own home-grown hardware. It will come with time. Apple is pouring everything into their mobile space, and what seemed impossible a few years ago (Samsung taking significant market share) seems more realistic in the next few years.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

I'm on the LG G4. After two bootloops and finally sending the device to LG be fixed (with absolutely no replacement phone in the meantime, have you), I am ready for a new device. The G4 is still holding up ok, but it is a battery draining beast.

Can't wait for stock Android.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Could it be a marketing ploy for the manufacturers? To create the sense that it is selling beyond expectations because it is such a 'hot' product?
Unlikely, for several reasons:

• The market is far too competitive, with a lack of significant differentiation between products (save perhaps Apple).
  • Since people have a tendency towards brand loyalty, you may not just lose this year's sale, but next year's as well.
  • Most companies want to be able to report strong 4th quarter earnings. These numbers would wind up deflated if you were deliberately holding back supply.
  • Most people buying cell phones are not in forums like us, carefully pouring over reviews and hardware specs. They walk into a store to buy a phone and they walk out with a phone. If your product isn't in stock, they simply buy your competitor's phone.