Unable to take Portrait mode photos with front facing camera on Pixel2

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just got my Pixel2 straight from Google (so unlocked and not from a carrier if that's relevant) yesterday and I do not have the portrait mode for the front facing camera.

I saw on the forum I might need to update the camera app but I can't figure out how!

HELP!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
🙋
Open the Play Store app, tap the menu bars top left, then tap My Apps & Downloads.
I'm assuming you have a Google account.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree - Portrait mode not working with front camera.

It goes into Portrait mode as evidenced by the "X" that appears at the top-left corner of the screen. But each tap of the shutter button simply takes a second , third, etc., photo.

My camera app is version 5.1.014.171916386

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's in the Google Camera update. If you don't see anything in your Play Store for the camera update, try contacting Google support by going to Settings -> Support -> Phone.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I clicked the link and it told me 'Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.' But I am in United states...

Not sure what that was about, but here is the gist of it:

Put the phone in selfie mode (or not; your choice)
Tap the menu at top left and tap Portrait
Take one or more photos
When finished with Portrait mode, tap the "X" at top left to exit

Go to the Photo Galery and, "You’ll now see two image icons at the bottom of your photo. The one on the left is the original and the one on the right has the portrait mode effect applied. You’ll also see a label at the top of your image that says either ‘Photo’ or ‘Portrait’."

From https://www.androidauthority.com/enable-front-facing-selfie-portrait-mode-pixel-2-camera-808832/

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed when taking a selfe the screen turns white for a moment before taking the pic kinda odd

Pixel 2 or 2 XL?

On the 2 XL, I don't see the screen turning white, but there is a millisecond or so of screen activity similar to what you would see in the viewfinder of a single lens reflex (SLR) camera as the mirror behind the lens flips.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed when taking a selfe the screen turns white for a moment before taking the pic kinda odd

Google activated the same functionality that Apple did. If either you're in "auto-flash" mode and the camera thinks you need a flash or if flash is in "always on" mode, then the screen does that to serve as a light source/flash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith