10-27-2017 02:44 PM
153 123 ...
tools
    I have to be honest, the consistent screen issues have gotten to me. I can ignore the blue tint, the sRGB colors, but the latest reports of burn-in, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I will most likely exchange it, and the only other viable alternative is Note 8.

For people that switched from N8, can you tell me why? I purposefully didn't put the question up in Note 8 forum, as I want to hear opinions of people that prefer 2XL over N8 in concept...
    10-23-2017 08:08 AM
    Yikes - be prepared for the hate.

From my perspective, the Note 8 is a great phone. I owned an N5 and it was nothing short of awesome. But, the Pixel and the Note series are very different phones for different audiences - although there is an overlap for sure.

So, you'll hear about the awful Samsung lag, horrible Touchwiz and on/on. Then the Pixel blue tint, graininess, burn-in and on/on on that front.

I think it's all a personal decision - there's no one best way to go.

But, take cover, this thread could go South in a heartbeat.
    10-23-2017 08:18 AM
    I have to be honest, the consistent screen issues have gotten to me. I can ignore the blue tint, the sRGB colors, but the latest reports of burn-in, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I will most likely exchange it, and the only other viable alternative is Note 8.

For people that switched from N8, can you tell me why? I purposefully didn't put the question up in Note 8 forum, as I want to hear opinions of people that prefer 2XL over N8 in concept...
    Stock Android was the biggest reason for me, along with consistent and timely updates. The cameras will be very similar and both phones will run smoothly, but the pixel is just faster. The pixels battery life is also better in my experience.

That being said the note hardware is better, the screen is better, and there's just more 'things' that you can use if you want or ignore altogether. It's not as easy of a decision between the two as last year because Samsung improved their software so much.
    10-23-2017 08:21 AM
    I understand why you're doing it, but to me they're not comparable. It all comes down to software. I prefer the Nexus/Pixel/Google experience and always will. No matter how much you try to make a Samsung phone like a Pixel, it will still always be built on TouchWiz.

Plus, software updates lag months and months behind on Samsungs. Google is the best when it comes to giving new features to the Pixel line. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to wait for software features and Pixels have shown to always get new things first (at least over the past year).
    10-23-2017 08:22 AM

I switched from a note 8 to ordering the pixel 2 xl. The note 8 was a good phone I just couldn't get used the inconsistent software one minute it would be blazing fast then lag from no where. I know people will say that it's the fast phone which for a Samsung it is. But my secondary phone is one plus 5 which i never have had a slow down or a stutter. Hardware wise the note 8 is gorgeous.
    10-23-2017 08:24 AM
    Software is definitely my primary reason for pre-ordering the 2XL in the first place. Unfortunately I need a big screen, so 2 is out, and for Verizon, there's really nothing else than Note 8, AFAIK. I'm afraid of the Touchwiz lag, having owned many Notes before, but pretty much every review I've read mentions that N8 is the first Samsung device that is smooth, even few weeks-months in.

This is so frustrating, I have an almost perfect phone, and the single, most important hardware on it is basically crap. Now I'm considering a distant second best in my mind, all at the cool $1k...
    10-23-2017 08:42 AM
    Software is definitely my primary reason for pre-ordering the 2XL in the first place. Unfortunately I need a big screen, so 2 is out, and for Verizon, there's really nothing else than Note 8, AFAIK. I'm afraid of the Touchwiz lag, having owned many Notes before, but pretty much every review I've read mentions that N8 is the first Samsung device that is smooth, even few weeks-months in.

This is so frustrating, I have an almost perfect phone, and the single, most important hardware on it is basically crap. Now I'm considering a distant second best in my mind, all at the cool $1k...
    I understand your frustrations I think it comes down to what you care about most? For me it's always been software but I think every phone you use there will always be one negative. Like you said screen is important to you to Samsung does have the best display
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-23-2017 08:50 AM

Sounds like you know what you're in for since you already have experience with Samsung. Remember, too, that the Note 8 isn't even very old yet--it has only been out for a few weeks--so there really hasn't been any time at all for problems with smoothness to become apparent.

And do you REALLY want to spend $1000 on a "distant second" choice? I find that whenever I go with my second choices, I'm never happy.

Honestly, I think you might be overreacting a bit. The Pixel 2 XL hasn't even been out for a week.
    10-23-2017 08:52 AM

Why not return and wait till the pixel 3 comes out? 11.5 months away
    10-23-2017 08:53 AM
    I understand your frustrations I think it comes down to what you care about most? For me it's always been software but I think every phone you use there will always be one negative. Like you said screen is important to you to Samsung does have the best display
    I agree every phone has a negative but the pixel 2 xl screen shouldn't be this bad
    RSindian likes this.
    10-23-2017 08:56 AM
    I am basically in the same boat as the OP. I've almost cancelled my Pixel 2 XL order a bunch of times, I've researched the N8, looked for deals and still I choose to stay in wait mode for the Pixel. I loved my N5, and currently have 4 family members with gorgeous S8's. They absolutely love them.

For me, the biggest driver for moving from my current Pixel XL is the horrendous BT issue. I am one of the many Pixel owners that have suffered for the past year with skipping BT audio - one very well-documented, and so far, unresolved issue with the OG Pixel. Every phone I've ever owned totally out-performs the Pixel re: BT.

It's Google's complete lack of responsiveness on the this issue that makes me feel less-than-confident when others here on this forum say things like "of course Google will stand by me", "Google will fix all of the screen issues". I just haven't seen Google do the right thing, at all, for a year, on a Pixel.

So, horrendous Pixel BT is driving me to get a new phone, otherwise, I'd definitely just keep my OG Pixel. I'll probably stay with my Pixel 2 XL pre-order, but if I come across an N8 deal as good as the Google trade-in, I am pretty sure I'd bolt in a heartbeat.
    klau25 and landolakesgirl like this.
    10-23-2017 09:41 AM

I don't have any experience with the Note 8, but I did have experience with the Note 4. I am sure their software is better now, and this is not to critique that. Back then, I got the Note 4 because I didn't like the Nexus 6 due to the size of it. I returned it within the 14 days and got a Note 4 instead since it was the hot phone at that time. After some frustration with the software, and never gotten any updates, I got tired of it and got a One plus One instead. Again within a couple months, I got tired of the slow updates so guess what, I sold the One Plus and returned to the Nexus 6. Haha, the moral of the story is, update and software is the most important part for me. From what you said, it seems pretty important to you also. I was never satisfied with all these other phones I had, and ever since then, I have always gotten Nexus and now Pixel devices. I am sure the Note 8 is an awesome phone and if stylus, dual cameras and other features the Note offers are important to you, by all mean go for it. If software and updates is your primary concerns, there is nothing out there that can beat the Pixel. Why not try the Pixel for 2 weeks first before returning it? And this burn in issue, I am 100% sure that Google will be happy to replace your phone if you have it. I know this because they had replaced my previous Nexus for issue that is far less serious.
    I never used the Note 8, but from what I read, the location of the fingerprint sensor will definitely drive me crazy. The other weakness is Bixby and the Bixby button. From what I heard, you can actually turn it off now thank God. haha.
    I hope this long post can help you with your decision.
    10-23-2017 09:55 AM
    Find a used g4 for $75 and trade it in through Samsung to get $300 off the note. It'll take some of the sting out of you choice haha.

The note is much, much better performing then previous Samsung up until this point. Will it stay fast? That remains to be seen, but it's much better performing after a month than my s7e was out of the box.

You can theme the n8 so the software experience will be somewhat close to the pixel. Try the pixel launcher, pixel icons, a pixel or oreo theme from the store and remap the bixby button to launch assistant to simulate active edge. Also, the ok Google hotword actually works with the screen off now.

This is pretty much the same boat I'm in, but instead of ordering the note now I'm gonna wait for the HTC u11+ to be announced first.
    Mittar Khalsa likes this.
    10-23-2017 10:04 AM
    The Note 8 is a great phone. I don't think you'll be unhappy at all with it. I am kind of mulling the same choice now as well.

If they haven't stopped any shipments, my 2 XL should be here this week and then I will have a better idea.
    10-23-2017 10:11 AM
    Find a used g4 for $75 and trade it in through Samsung to get $300 off the note. It'll take some of the sting out of you choice haha.

The note is much, much better performing then previous Samsung up until this point. Will it stay fast? That remains to be seen, but it's much better performing after a month than my s7e was out of the box.

You can theme the n8 so the software experience will be somewhat close to the pixel. Try the pixel launcher, pixel icons, a pixel or oreo theme from the store and remap the bixby button to launch assistant to simulate active edge. Also, the ok Google hotword actually works with the screen off now.

This is pretty much the same boat I'm in, but instead of ordering the note now I'm gonna wait for the HTC u11+ to be announced first.
    Good to know you can remap the Bixby button now, but the location of the fingerprint sensor will still drive me crazy.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-23-2017 10:13 AM
    Good to know you can remap the Bixby button now, but the location of the fingerprint sensor will still drive me crazy.
    Yea me being a lefty the fp scanner is in a really annoying position. Maybe next year Sammy will come to their senses
    10-23-2017 10:45 AM
    Returned my Note 8 twice happely waiting on my Pixel this week so very excited about a new experience in the phone world since it is such a extension of ourself.
    10-23-2017 11:10 AM
    ..the location of the fingerprint sensor will still drive me crazy.
    Oh yeah. Thanks, I had forgot about that incovenience. OK, another point in the "keep your 2 XL order" column for me.
    10-23-2017 11:14 AM
    Stock Android with timely updates on Note 8 hardware would be my dream phone, except for the horrible finger print sensor location.
    10-23-2017 11:18 AM
    The Note 8 is a phenomenal phone. I haven't had to charge my Note 8 since yesterday. Tests have also shown that the Note 8 is virtually just as fast as the Pixel 2/XL. I haven't noticed any lag and the only time I have seen stuttering is while the web content is loading and one time due to a weird advertisement in an app. Otherwise, the phone is very fast (by ANY standard) and rarely ever lags. If I wanted my Note 8 to feel as snappy as a Pixel phone, I could just reduce the animations to 0 and it would feel the same. I don't know how the fingerprint sensor is because I've never used it -- I just use the iris scanner. I absolutely love the Note 8 and I don't regret cancelling my Pixel 2 XL pre-order at all. The Note 8 is also $250 off at Best Buy right now.
    10-23-2017 01:32 PM
    Honestly, if I would have not preferred pure google experience and latest OS/security updates then I would have kept the Note 8. If these two things are not important then yes Note 8 is an awesome choice and IMO the best choice.
    Ca_lvn likes this.
    10-23-2017 01:35 PM
    I have the Note 8 and Pixel XL 2. Note 8 is a far better phone. Far better.

Qi, samsung pay, IP68, a second lens, stylus, microSD and a screen that is miles ahead. TouchWiz on the Note 8 is very toned down and I find many of the 'features' to be quite useful including Bixby's ability to open up any and all settings menus even obscure ones. It is no contest, the Note 8 wins hands down as a better overall phone for the price.

I still got the Pixel because of the main camera and Google's magical post processing. There is no better full auto shooter than the Pixel, though the Note 8 comes real close. See the comparison shots I posted in the picture thread.
    10-23-2017 01:35 PM
    I currently have both phones as well and anyone who tells you the note 8 feels just as fast as the pixel xl 2 is just lying to you. Its noticeable right away jumping in and out of apps and overall system navigation. you don't get the occasional drags that the note 8 gives you or the slight delay after touching an app for it to open.jumping in and out of things just feels way better on the pixel xl 2. Im holding on to mine, screen isn't an issue in everyday use and if I do get burn in then I have 1 year warranty with google where they will have since fixed the production issues and I will get a new replacement with no issues. I can deal with the screen problems till they resolve it in exchange for its amazing camera, battery life and UI.
    DominionRoofs and ihbsbA like this.
    10-23-2017 01:50 PM
    Why not the S8+. It's more like the Pixel. Why does people compare with a phone with a pen which the Pixel does not have...is it because it just came out and the other phone been at 4 months?.
    neil74 likes this.
    10-23-2017 02:14 PM
    I have the Note 8 and it has precisely two problems IMHO.

1. Samsung is *heavily* pushing their annoying apps and cloud ecosystem on users. It's overbearing to say the least. For instance, I can't remap the ridiculous Bixby button on the side of the phone to camera or anything else. Also, I can't sync my handwritten S-pen notes (I love the S-pen) with any cloud service that is not samsung. Want to integrate your notes with GDocs or Dropbox or anything else? Nope. They even got rid of Evernote integration. Another nuisance is that the photo app doesn't play well with Google Photos, which is my primary tool for editing, storing, and sharing photos. If I can't do that with any photos I just took without closing the Samsung app and opening the Google one, it's a deal breaker.

2. The non-existing side-bezels are unpractical design overkill. I hate hate HATE the stupid 18:9 overly long screens everybody is going with now for no good reasons, and the Samsung one is even longer (at 18.5:9) and the lack of side bezels but with top and bottom bezel make it an awkwardly morphed device. I wouldn't care if it just looked bad, but it's physically difficult to hold and type on because it's so narrow and fingers holding it protrude over the text and keyboard.
    ihbsbA, ottscay, jamezr and 2 others like this.
    10-23-2017 02:50 PM
153 123 ...