Removing the Google bar

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Enjoying my pixel 2 and the stock launcher with the assistant, I don't need the Google bar on the bottom is there a way to remove it thank you

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
it's a sad day when we have to be forced to use an app to remove a stupid search bar that google put up. Nobody asked for that... Just $$$ for google. For sure I'm switching the search bar to bing on chrome when I get my pixel 2xl

Good luck with finding anything on that. Anyway if you feel that strongly about it then why buy the phone and give Google the $$$ in the first place?

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Because it isn't a deal breaker? It just sucks to have it forced on us and take up screen estate. But w/e.

Also, I'm switching the bar on the chrome browser to bing just for the gift card points for searching.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
A more valid complaint than the people screaming over blue tint, burn in, and no oversaturation option.

Google said they are all about making changes. If enough people complain, Google will change it. Going to send a tweet.
There has been a non-removable Google search button/bar since pretty much the beginning AFAIK. I don't see them removing it any time soon.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
it's a sad day when we have to be forced to use an app to remove a stupid search bar that google put up. Nobody asked for that... Just $$$ for google. For sure I'm switching the search bar to bing on chrome when I get my pixel 2xl

edit:

most recent nova launcher has the google search bar?
https://www.neowin.net/news/nova-launcher-beta-updated-with-features-from-the-pixel-2-launcher

No, it's a sad day when an otherwise healthy loved one drops dead with a heart attack, a non-removable Google search bar is an annoyance . . . #perspective

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I enjoying the all Google experience finally got fully on board with that ,it's just wasted real estate would love to drag it off the screen
With the regular pixel 2 I already have a bezel to deal with then the search bar so one way or the other it's going away
On top would be fine with me.

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Using an inferior product is always the best way to stick it to the Man. C'mon now ������

You guys do know that searching with bing gets you points for gift cards, right? I've already gotten $100 worth of gift cards in 11 months. Not much of a reason for me to use google search engine that much anymore because of this.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You guys do know that searching with bing gets you points for gift cards, right? I've already gotten $100 worth of gift cards in 11 months. Not much of a reason for me to use google search engine that much anymore because of this.
Yes. I got that email too some time back, only to be greeted on sign up that it's not available in my country (I'm in SEA).

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Just bear in mind that the launcher you see when you look at your phone out of the box is the Pixel Launcher. It's a launcher, just like any other. It's not like jailbreaking on iOS, launchers are part of the Android choice. If you install Nova you are not compromising anything, you are simply using an alternative which happens to have more options.

I use Nova and have configured it to look like the Pixel 1 launcher. I have used an icon pack and can easily change any app icon, I have configured gestures - so, for example, a two finger swipe down launches a do-not-disturb app. A single swipe down launches Android Pay, and so on. Very useful. I hate the Google search bar - especially as it looks like a text-entry box but as soon as you click on it you end up somewhere else to enter your search query. Pointless. If I want to do a search I launch Chrome and search there - or ask Assistant a question. That is the beauty of Android - you have choices, rather than the rigid 'do it our way' that Apple imposes on users of iOS.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
That would drive me crazy. I believe my old Motorola Turbo had that as well. I'm okay with the home screen having it, but not every screen I flip through.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The search bar is a google trademark. Not going away. Another launcher is the only option besides rooting your device.

Netherthorpe

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

My heart sank when I read this, as my main reason for installing Nova Launcher was to stop the Google search banner plastering itself over my carefully composed home screen photo (as if I couldn't search with one touch of the Chrome icon). But seems it was a false alarm - looks like a new option to put the search bar (if choosing to show it on the home screen) at the bottom.

Getting Nova Launcher was one of the first things I did after getting my first smartphone a year or two back, to banish the search bar and for the other features scgf likes.
I have just a few icons, on the 'transparent' platform shaped dock, which looked the least intrusive. I'd like no 'dock' effect at all ideally, but the author's doing a great service!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because it isn't a deal breaker? It just sucks to have it forced on us and take up screen estate. But w/e.

Also, I'm switching the bar on the chrome browser to bing just for the gift card points for searching.

So we're cool with giving Microsoft money to sell your data but not cool with giving Google money to host a widget in their own operating system?