Bluetooth wireless earbuds - what do you recommend?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd update this. Bragi The Headphones arrived the other day, and I'm just now trying it out...
vaUim3R.jpg

Too bad it doesn't show the "motion on" pic of this blinking. :) Anyways, sounds good so far. Has some decent bass too. While I was writing this and listening to music, my wife calls in. I took the call and though it sounds somewhat muffled as I spoke, from her perspective it sounded like I was on speaker, but really clear. So seems like it works well for calls too.

Edit: I will add that noise cancelling-wise, it shuts out outside noise decently. It also allows for audio transparency, where you can hear outside noises. It's not noisy enough around here at the office to test that, will have to try that at home with the noisy kids. :p

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd update this. Bragi The Headphones arrived the other day, and I'm just now trying it out...
https://i.imgur.com/vaUim3R.jpg

Too bad it doesn't show the "motion on" pic of this blinking. :) Anyways, sounds good so far. Has some decent bass too. While I was writing this and listening to music, my wife calls in. I took the call and though it sounds somewhat muffled as I spoke, from her perspective it sounded like I was on speaker, but really clear. So seems like it works well for calls too.

Edit: I will add that noise cancelling-wise, it shuts out outside noise decently. It also allows for audio transparency, where you can hear outside noises. It's not noisy enough around here at the office to test that, will have to try that at home with the noisy kids. :p
Thanks for the info. I knew the Dash had a setting to allow external noise through, but wasn't sure about the Headphones model.

I am perfectly happy with a wire between the buds, but advanced features like that (that are exclusive to the wire-free models) have me interested. That and storing them in a charging case. The pixel buds charge in a case but you have to wrap up the cord

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Replacement tips can help make your earbuds more comfortable and stay in better. I used Comply Sport foam tips, but now I use the Comply Isolation, which work even better for me when running. I use them with my Jaybird Bluebuds X (current model is X3.)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Replacement tips can help make your earbuds more comfortable and stay in better. I used Comply Sport foam tips, but now I use the Comply Isolation, which work even better for me when running. I use them with my Jaybird Bluebuds X (current model is X3.)

Absolutely agree with this. The Comply Isolation tips are great with my Jaybird X2's.

They are available for many models: Comply™ Foam Tips - Replacement Earphone Tips

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yep! I went from the sport to the isolation tips, so much better on my X3's. Love how it really does make a huge difference especially in those long sat runs.

They are so good at blocking external sound though - I would be concerned about running in an area where auto traffic - or even cyclists - is likely. :)

I do my running at the gym...

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
They are so good at blocking external sound though - I would be concerned about running in an area where auto traffic - or even cyclists - is likely. :)

I do my running at the gym...

I hear you 😉 I'm pretty alert when it comes to running, even with those foam tips in. I've been city running for so long now, I keep my head on a swivel constantly.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Word is the Pixel Buds are better than Jaybirds. I have a set of X2s. Tempted to try out the Pixel Buds.
Don't know where you've heard that. The Android sites alone have been universally unimpressed with the Pixel Buds, especially in terms of sounds quality.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I really like my X2's. So much so that I have two pairs that I use regularly (at the gym and, occasionally, at the office) and a third brand-new pair that I purchased while still available and hold in reserve. Great sound, great battery life, very comfortable and stay in place no matter what.

I have considered the X3's, but shy away from them because of the required special charging "dock".

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I really like my X2's. So much so that I have two pairs that I use regularly (at the gym and, occasionally, at the office) and a third brand-new pair that I purchased while still available and hold in reserve. Great sound, great battery life, very comfortable and stay in place no matter what.

I have considered the X3's, but shy away from them because of the required special charging "dock".

I have both the X2 and X3 and I have to say that the X2 has slightly better build quality over the X3. While the sound quality and fit are great with both, I have had problems with the X3 holding a good charge, to the point where I had to return and get a few replacement X3s. My most recent pair of X3s has been good so far.

Meanwhile, the X2 has held up very well, and uses a traditional micro USB charging cable. I would definitely recommend the X2 if you had to choose, and it's cheaper.

Jaybird has a new pair of Freedom 2s and a new model the Run (which are true wire-free earbuds) coming out so it'd be interesting to see how those turn out.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The dock is annoying. However I can usually get about 6hrs of use out of them so I really only need to charge once or twice a week. I just leave the dock in my night stand in the draw. I do miss the ability to just plug in a mini USB and be done with it. Hopefully the next pairs at least have USB C to charge.

s0070cm

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
You can’t do better than the Bose Soundsport Free. They are pricey, but the sound quality is second to none for completely wireless earbuds. I have had both versions of the Bragi Dash, and the original Samsung Icon X, and they can’t compare. However, if you have to stay around $100, the Bragi Dash are on clearance for $119 from Best Buy.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
You can’t do better than the Bose Soundsport Free. They are pricey, but the sound quality is second to none for completely wireless earbuds. I have had both versions of the Bragi Dash, and the original Samsung Icon X, and they can’t compare. However, if you have to stay around $100, the Bragi Dash are on clearance for $119 from Best Buy.
How about connectivity between buds and with device? How does the soundsport compare to the dash for you? (Cutting out, etc)

s0070cm

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
The Soundsports have a great Bluetooth connection. No drop outs to speak of. I did have trouble with the Dash cutting out occasionally.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Zolo Liberty+ buds with my Pixel 2 XL. I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of the "action jackets" and tips when it comes to using them during a workout, I imagine this is a "problem" with most devices of this type. If I'm not stretching my ears while wiping sweat away, they stay in pretty well, I usually have to adjust them 2-3 times during a 50 minute elliptical workout. The sound is good and they isolate you from most exterior noise, with a transparency mode selectable in the app or by a 3-second press on one of the buds.

I've also used the right one "solo" on a conference call and people didn't know the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana