11-12-2017 06:03 PM
31 12
tools
    Color hue shifting = normal
    OLED screen burn in = expected

I died laughing while reading this article.

Meanwhile in Android land we got a class action lawsuit against Google.

I wonder if The Verge will update their iPhone X score after this?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/03/iphon...olor-shifting/
    11-04-2017 12:25 AM
    Yep, Apple knows it has a bigger challenge in managing expectations since most die-hard Apple users have not had as much hands on experience with OLED screens and will not be familiar with the unique characteristics of OLED such as image retention and color shifting. With that being said, I firmly believe that Apple and Samsung don't get hammered nearly as hard as Google has for much worse issues. For example, I went through MANY Galaxy S6's trying to get one that didn't have a screen that was half-green half-pink and I saw nearly no press on that until people started complaining about red-tint on the S8.

As for the Pixel 2 XL, on its own, I think the phone is fine and enjoy using it. My disappointment with the display is not that I think it's objectively bad, I just don't think it's as good as the display on the original Pixel XL and that kind of bothers me. Of course, everyone's use, perception, and experience is different so that's just my opinion!
    Wildo6882 and alarsen7 like this.
    11-04-2017 04:06 AM
    At least with apple if issue does occur you could just go to a local Apple store and complain until you get a replacement. Sadly can't do that with Google.....
    anon(5630457) and Premium1 like this.
    11-04-2017 07:13 AM
    Yes because screen quality is binary, everything either has an issue or doesn't with no level of severity.
    11-04-2017 07:29 AM
    I swear it's time for a newer technology in the screen depart of mobile devices. This OLED burn-in and image retention issue just bothers me...makes me think of using a portable PLASMA television screen. Where's the option to turn my entire screen into snow for 10 minutes before the mobile device auto shuts down.

Has anyone not yet experience the burn-in or image retention while playing a game on their device? I know there are several areas of a game's display that maintain the same image
    11-04-2017 07:42 AM
    At least with apple if issue does occur you could just go to a local Apple store and complain until you get a replacement. Sadly can't do that with Google.....
    I completely agree - and it's because Apple charges high prices it can afford that degree of customer support. Interestingly I've had numerous phones over the years and it has been only my iPhones for which I've ever needed to use that support. A gamble for sure - but at least if you need to do a Google return they will ship out a new phone before you send the old one back.
    11-04-2017 08:14 AM
    Yeah lol. So Android Central writers, now that Apple has stated this is all expected then it MUST be normal and the P2XL doesn't have the garbage screen you continued to bash on about....right?

The number of threads in the Apple forums about color shifting, yellow tinted screens and color issues is laughable. Someone actually said these issues were all because the screen glue hasn't dried yet. Lol. Screen glue.

My P2XL is perfect. No burn in, no color shifting on the status bar, no grain, no burn in and when watching the right content the screen is vibrant and bright.

I get some people had issues, and google did the right thing FAST which is far more than can be said for apple. Yeah you can walk into a store but waiting for apple to stand behind this product with extended coverage takes years.

Oh and my OG Pixel never needed a repair, I've had three iPhones need repairs from failed wifi, bad gps chip to a bad battery. Sure apple fixed them under warranty but so will google, it just isn't as convenient, you need to wait 24 hours for them to send you a new unit...oh the first world humanity of it.
    11-04-2017 08:17 AM
    This is hilarious. Apple is actually helping Google sell Pixels.

Apple says it is OK. Must be OK. You are getting sleepy...

Marketing Geniuses at selling to sheep.
    11-04-2017 08:57 AM
    It took me 4 visits (across 7 months) for Apple to replace a new iPhone 7 bought on launch day. That support is overrated. Google overnighted a Pixel to me when I had a microphone issue.
    11-04-2017 09:23 AM
    It took me 4 visits (across 7 months) for Apple to replace a new iPhone 7 bought on launch day. That support is overrated. Google overnighted a Pixel to me when I had a microphone issue.
    It depends on the store also, I personally had no problems got it swapped right away.
    11-04-2017 09:26 AM
    It depends on the store also, I personally had no problems got it swapped right away.
    It depends on a lot of things. Same store has swapped out phones for me before. But for some reason with my iPhone 7 they just kept stalling. My point was it's a hit and a miss. Just because they've stores everywhere doesn't mean their service is stellar.

Actually the best in store service has been Microsoft for me.
    11-04-2017 09:29 AM
    I have both the X and Pixel 2 XL. The color shift on the Pixel is pretty major. On the X it's about the same as on a Note 8 which is very minor.

Premium1 likes this.
    11-04-2017 10:31 AM

Probably not. The Verge is in full Apple Hype Train mode. Plus, they pulled their recommendation for hype as well.

Plus how much of this on the Pixel 2 XL is related to the polarization?
    AnotherInternetGuy likes this.
    11-04-2017 10:45 AM
    Yes you can, you can return the phone to Google and get a replacement.
    11-04-2017 10:47 AM
    Probably not. The Verge is in full Apple Hype Train mode. Plus, they pulled their recommendation for hype as well.

I assume the small Pixel 2 has the same polarization and looks totally acceptable (in contrast to at least a significant batch of 2 XLs)

With the reports that some 2 XLs have reduced color shifting I'm hoping LG can get their act together and produce something consistently good in 2018. (I realize some people are happy with their display, not trying to antagonize it's just my opinion)
    11-04-2017 02:53 PM
    I find if you calmly explain the issue and say clearly what you want customer service reps usually do it or get a manager to. No matter what absurd suggestions they make I reply Great idea! I thought that would work but I tried and it didn't. I would like a replacement phone please. Oh I'm sure the update will help may I have a replacement phone now please? Yes great phones in every other way and I know apple will make it right. May I exchange for a replacement phone now please? No I'm sorry I will be traveling so I can't wait for tomorrow's update may I have a replacement phone please? I just keep repeating what I want after agreeing with everything they say and refuse to lose my temper.Somtimes I have to ask for a manager but never turned away empty handed. Not once. That said I usually seek customer service in VZW store not Apple store.
    11-04-2017 03:34 PM
    Side by side, the X's hue tint is nowhere near as bad as my P2XL. It may be there, yes, but it's barely noticeable. This is the closest I've come in the last six years to being tempted away from Android but I still prefer my P2XL.
    anon(5630457) and Premium1 like this.
    11-04-2017 04:08 PM

Well they aren't lying, those are all perks of using OLED screens. With that being said, at least they used a samsung panel versus the garbage LG puts out.
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    11-04-2017 04:47 PM
    "...Apple recommends against showing static images at full brightness for extended periods of time..."
    Uh, guys, have you looked at your iOS static grid UI lately? smdh...
    11-05-2017 01:11 AM
    I wish no manufacturer would use OLED. I have an iPhone X and I have a slight blueish hue when tilting the phone off axis, but I don't have the graininess of the LG panels like on the Pixel 2 XL. I would much prefer a high-quality LCD panel for a display, even if it uses slightly more battery power than OLED. Burn-in happens on LCDs, but at least it goes away after 10 minutes or so.
    11-05-2017 10:44 AM
    I wish no manufacturer would use OLED. I have an iPhone X and I have a slight blueish hue when tilting the phone off axis, but I don't have the graininess of the LG panels like on the Pixel 2 XL. I would much prefer a high-quality LCD panel for a display, even if it uses slightly more battery power than OLED. Burn-in happens on LCDs, but at least it goes away after 10 minutes or so.
    If it's actual burn-in on an LCD, it doesn't go away. It may have had image retention, which will go away after a bit. But burn-in is generally considered permanent. And LCDs can have permanent burn-in just like an OLED panel, but it's usually more resistive to it. But considering I don't keep phones for that long, I prefer to have the deeper blacks that come with OLED panels vs the dark grays that pass for black on LCD panels.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-05-2017 11:03 AM
    If it's actual burn-in on an LCD, it doesn't go away. It may have had image retention, which will go away after a bit. But burn-in is generally considered permanent. And LCDs can have permanent burn-in just like an OLED panel, but it's usually more resistive to it. But considering I don't keep phones for that long, I prefer to have the deeper blacks that come with OLED panels vs the dark grays that pass for black on LCD panels.
    You are most definitely right about the image retention. But I see it far less than on LCD displays.

But like you, I don't use a phone long enough to get burn-in, so...maybe it should be a non-issue for me.
    11-05-2017 11:05 AM

Seriously.

The Verge has lost all credibility with this generation of iPhone releases. It's either that they're Apple fanatics to the point of being a cult or they're outright sponsored by Apple in an unofficial;[kkkcvfgsde capacity.

Regardless, their reviews and content on phones is effectively worthless.
    11-05-2017 02:56 PM
    You are most definitely right about the image retention. But I see it far less than on LCD displays.

But like you, I don't use a phone long enough to get burn-in, so...maybe it should be a non-issue for me.
    I alluded to that saying LCD is more resistive to burn-in than OLED panels. The only device I had actual permanent burn-in was my old Galaxy S3. After one year, the display had a 3/16" wide bright line down the entire right side of it, due my using my phone almost exclusively in landscape orientation and always turning it one way. My brother uses it for a media player at work but it still has the burn-in. Now I've had others that got image retention, but I've found when using it in landscape if I flip the device 180 degrees and keep switching it up, that it doesn't result in actual burn-in.
    11-05-2017 03:08 PM
    I have been watching a 55 inch LG 3D OLED TV for the last year and I have never seen any color shift whatsoever, no matter how far off angle I look at it. So I don't think OLED technology is flawed.
    11-05-2017 07:10 PM
31 12