Storage Wars!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will lose this most likely (jk.. I know I will haha) but how is your storage working for you on your Pixel 2/XL? I have the 128 GB Pixel 2 XL and I have loaded up a good amount of media.

Mainly just my playlists from Google Play Music, anime from Netflix, and some movies I enjoy from Vudu/etc.

I do have unlimited data (Verizon) so I still stream certain things (such as Crunchyroll - an anime site - doesn't have downloads so I stream from them) but I do like to load up media when I can so I never have to worry about network conditions :).

So... how is your storage looking?

2fbf91d7e545fc09dc7d4badc4a847e3.jpg

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, you've still got plenty to play with... Most of what I'm needing will be for photos of my 2 Granddaughters and even then I print the best ones and keep the rest in the cloud. This is with my Nexus 6P and I'll do the same with my 64gb 2xl

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, you've still got plenty to play with... Most of what I'm needing will be for photos of my 2 Granddaughters and even then I print the best ones and keep the rest in the cloud. This is with my Nexus 6P and I'll do the same with my 64gb 2xl

Yeah I will eventually remove stuff from the phone. I off-load to Google Photos as well. I just wanted to be able to load up media and not be concerned on storage. That is the only reason I splurged the extra $100 bucks for it.

That said I know I could live on 64 without issue. Off-loading pics/videos to the cloud is a major storage saver haha :D.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My primary means of storage on this phone will be photos, I plan on exploring the camera a lot more, at that point most likely I'll have to delete from the phone. I kept it on a budget with the 64 gigabyte drive.
Surprisingly I have 85 apps installed, kind of hard to believe I have that many on the phone.
Google photos is my guaranteed safe backup so I'm confident that will meet all my needs.
8965a6fc8786a23675f0c32ecff3ce0a.jpg

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Mainly just my playlists from Google Play Music, anime from Netflix, and some movies I enjoy from Vudu/etc.

So... how is your storage looking?

24 out of 128 gigs used.

I don't watch cartoons so none of those stored. For movies I wouldn't waste watching a good one on a 6 inch phone screen, I'd use my 65 inch Ultra Hi Def TV with surround sound. If I did need to watch a movie on the go (flying overseas) I'd use my tablet or laptop for the bigger screen. Downloaded music from google play takes minimal space. My 500 albums are all ripped and loaded on the google cloud. Audible books only take space while I am listening to them, when done I delete from device.

If I take a long road trip, maybe downloading google maps for offline viewing will take some space but probably not much space.

Not sure why I ordered 128 gig especially when photo and video storage is free. I guess I was in a hurry to get the order in and didn't think it through, last phone had 32 gig storage and it was plenty - however, I did need to move some worthless, bad, or outdated videos I took off the phone at some point to free up a few gig.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't watch cartoons so none of those stored.

Oh I see those shots fired! haha :p.

For movies I wouldn't waste watching a good one on a 6 inch phone screen, I'd use my 65 inch Ultra Hi Def TV with surround sound. If I did need to watch a movie on the go (flying overseas) I'd use my tablet or laptop for the bigger screen.

Yeah when I am at home I prefer my TV as well but when my phone is my only device... well .. yep.

Not sure why I ordered 128 gig especially when photo and video storage is free. I guess I was in a hurry to get the order in and didn't think it through, last phone had 32 gig storage and it was plenty - however, I did need to move some worthless, bad, or outdated videos I took off the phone at some point to free up a few gig.

Yeah to be honest it sounds like you truly don't need it for anything really. You could have saved some cash versus spending it on storage you won't ever use.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see no reason to store things on my phone. The cloud is much simpler and cheaper.

I agree some. I love the cloud -- don't get me wrong -- but having some things directly on the phone for access is convenient. I have Verizon and usually I am good to go but every network has those "bad spots" so that is where I load things I always want to have. That way regardless of whatever spot I am in I can just play / listen / etc. without a hiccup.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I agree some. I love the cloud -- don't get me wrong -- but having some things directly on the phone for access is convenient. I have Verizon and usually I am good to go but every network has those "bad spots" so that is where I load things I always want to have. That way regardless of whatever spot I am in I can just play / listen / etc. without a hiccup.

That is why I use Fi. Very few bad spots when using three different networks and a million wifi spots.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That is why I use Fi. Very few bad spots when using three different networks and a million wifi spots.

Yeah .. I could use WiFi hotspots but it is must easier to just have it on my phone then I never worry about having to be in a bad spot or WiFi :). Also I just could never use Fi. I can't limit myself to 2-3 GB a month (anything more then that it is way too expensive).

Also the WiFi hotspots are accessible to other Pixel owners as well (not just Fi). They added that piece of the software to the Pixel directly. It is under WiFi > Advanced. ;). Which is nice since it will auto connect / VPN to Google. I won't touch an open WiFi network without a VPN. No way in hell lol.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Alright... I gotta ask this question cause it's been buggin' me for a bit...

What's the point of storing files on a device? Is it a streaming thing, a data usage overall thing, don't like having my pictures in the cloud, or what? I'm asking here since this post is in the neighborhood of storage and it's something I've always curious as to why?

Like the whole micro SD thing. .. I know people who store tons of files on cards and switch them out etc, etc. Then they forget what they have on which card and duplicate files and use more storage than necessary .. forget which device they have which card in where .. just on and on ...

What is DA DEAL?!?!

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

What's the point of storing files on a device? Is it a streaming thing, a data usage overall thing, don't like having my pictures in the cloud, or what? I'm asking here since this post is in the neighborhood of storage and it's something I've always curious as to why?

Like the whole micro SD thing. .. I know people who store tons of files on cards and switch them out etc, etc. Then they forget what they have on which card and duplicate files and use more storage than necessary .. forget which device they have which card in where .. just on and on ...

What is DA DEAL?!?!

For me its data, I don't have an unlimited data plan so "IF" i store files on the phone its to stop from using it. Oh and Games I like playing games on my phone and those can be big. I also do the audio for my church and I run it into my phone alot to transfer to my computer later.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

What is DA DEAL?!?!

I just like having certain things on my device -- ready to go -- regardless of network conditions. I have Verizon and unlimited data (which I am not afraid to use - currently at 65 GB this cycle) but I figure why not store the things I know I will use + want on my phone if I can?

Such as all my playlists / music from Google Play Music. I know I will listen to that at work, in the truck, etc. Why not just download those big playlists to the phone? This way I never have to worry about network conditions if I am .. let's say .. going to a football game. If I am driving down there looking for parking and having the next song come on it won't buffer since it will be playing from my phone. Since you know network conditions at a packed / crowded place may not be ideal (hence the example of a Football game).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
For me its data, I don't have an unlimited data plan so "IF" i store files on the phone its to stop from using it. Oh and Games I like playing games on my phone and those can be big. I also do the audio for my church and I run it into my phone alot to transfer to my computer later.

I can see that. I guess when I think about you description, it reminds me of my brother. He's an on device guy because he budget's his data usage. But when he and I talk, I tell him I run on about 16GB on device (little fat right now at 20) and I was on an 8G Data plan until recently. Granted I think I ran over a couple of times, but that's after I got into Instagram.:p

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I just like having certain things on my device -- ready to go -- regardless of network conditions. I have Verizon and unlimited data (which I am not afraid to use - currently at 65 GB this cycle) but I figure why not store the things I know I will use + want on my phone if I can?

Such as all my playlists / music from Google Play Music. I know I will listen to that at work, in the truck, etc. Why not just download those big playlists to the phone? This way I never have to worry about network conditions if I am .. let's say .. going to a football game. If I am driving down there looking for parking and having the next song come on it won't buffer since it will be playing from my phone. Since you know network conditions at a packed / crowded place may not be ideal (hence the example of a Football game).

So, do you store your music with Google Play, then pin your music to your phone? ... How much music we talkin' bout?:confused:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, do you store your music with Google Play, then pin your music to your phone? ... How much music we talkin' bout?:confused:
I have a Google Play Music subscription. Where I can stream or download all the music from their library. I have a couple GB of playlists. 10+ or so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty