Transfer Media From Random Folder to Device Storage

flon_klar

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys-

I'm not an Android guy, but I'm working on a friend's phone (S6), and I ran into a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

She wants all her media files transferred to a thumb drive. No problem; I can access the phone's memory and upload to my PC. But there IS a problem. On the Home Screen is a folder named "My Files." Inside this folder is a list of "Category" folders and a list of "Local Storage" folders.

I can easily access the "Device Storage" folder by connecting the phone via USB to my PC- but that's all I can see. I have uploaded all visible media to the thumb drive. However, there remains 90MB of photos in the "Images" folder, which (although inaccessible via my PC) I was able to email to myself 20 or so images at a time. But next is a "Videos" folder with several large files that will not travel via email. I could probably get them to my PC via Dropbox, but it seems like I'm taking unnecessary steps.

Certainly there must be a way to either 1) move the files in these "Category" folders to the Device Storage folder, or 2) make these "Category" folders visible to my PC. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Galaxy S6 Media Folders.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, the "My Files" isn't an actual folder, it's more of an app that just shows, well, 'My Files'. All those categories just lump together that file type from all over the phone (whether it's in internal memory, SD card, and any folder that isn't restricted from view). So, to transfer the videos, you need to check WHERE those are actually stored.

Now, that phone is quite old and I don't quite remember if this method will work, but it should be something very similar. Just select any photo/video shown there and long press it. There should be a menu button popping up (or a Details button). From there, select "Details" and you should be able to see the actual path where the file resides.

From what you describe, you already copied over everything on the internal memory, so chances are you already copied those, they're just being shown in different places in the My Files app. (For instance, a file may show up in Images but it will also show up when you go directly to Device storage and select the folder it actually resides in).