07-20-2018 07:18 PM
88 123 ...
tools
    I came over from the Motorola Droid Turbo 2. I understand this is a different company that provided different options for how to use its phones, but if you held your Turbo 1 or Turbo 2 phone, and did the "Karate Chop" motion, the flashlight would turn on. Do it again, and it turned off. No need to navigate a menu, turn it on, and navigate again to turn it off. It was really easy to use and I really made a big use of it.

Sadly, I don't see that option with the new Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. I wish it existed somehow. If you press the power button twice, the camera turns on, and I had that shortcut on the Turbo 2 as well. But no flashlight shortcut.
    11-26-2017 12:31 AM
    I came over from the Motorola Droid Turbo 2. I understand this is a different company that provided different options for how to use its phones, but if you held your Turbo 1 or Turbo 2 phone, and did the "Karate Chop" motion, the flashlight would turn on. Do it again, and it turned off. No need to navigate a menu, turn it on, and navigate again to turn it off. It was really easy to use and I really made a big use of it.

Sadly, I don't see that option with the new Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. I wish it existed somehow. If you press the power button twice, the camera turns on, and I had that shortcut on the Turbo 2 as well. But no flashlight shortcut.
    Swipe down once from the notification menu, press flashlight icon....not very difficult.
    11-26-2017 01:08 AM
    "ok Google, lumos"
    11-26-2017 01:10 AM
    Swipe down once from the notification menu, press flashlight icon....not very difficult.
    I think you misunderstood the entire point.
    11-26-2017 01:11 AM
    Apparently you've never used a recent Motorola device. Yes, swiping down and hitting the button is easy, as is the voice command. But dang, the Motorola gesture commands were amazing and super convenient.

I was hoping that when Google kept all those Moto patents they'd being some of that stuff to the pixels. One big thing I miss from my Moto Xs and force.
    Moo Cow, editguy and johnjuan like this.
    11-26-2017 01:12 AM
    Nova Launcher. Then use a simple swipe of your screen
    Chex313 likes this.
    11-26-2017 01:33 AM
    Apparently you've never used a recent Motorola device. Yes, swiping down and hitting the button is easy, as is the voice command. But dang, the Motorola gesture commands were amazing and super convenient.

I was hoping that when Google kept all those Moto patents they'd being some of that stuff to the pixels. One big thing I miss from my Moto Xs and force.
    Sorry not true and not a fair assumption based on my post....I've owned many Motorola devices. In fact except for the last few phones which I've changed very often in the last year and a half I previously only had Motorola devices and I'm well aware of their shortcuts. I would probably still be with Motorola if they were still Motorola or if Google still owned them.
    11-26-2017 01:38 AM
    On some devices you could put a flashlight shortcut on your lockscreen.
    11-26-2017 01:42 AM
    I think you misunderstood the entire point.
    No I didn't misunderstand... I was merely pointing that it's not that difficult to turn on the flashlight in case you were somehow doing it differently and for the benefit of others who read these posts.
    Sadly for you, the type of features you are used to do not exist on Google phones. That is not their focus.
    11-26-2017 02:10 AM
    I use an app called Flashlight LED Genius to get that shake to turn on Flashlight gesture. It's free and ad supported, but only displays ads while you are configuring how hard you want to shake the phone to activate your Flashlight. Once you have that set, it no longer displays ads not use any data.
    11-26-2017 02:28 AM
    "ok Google, lumos"
    This is awesome. Many thanks. I too am suffering from the lack of actions inherent to Moto devices. While not 100% ideal, its still cool and useful at times over the swipe and select method. Another option, in the least.
    anon(10092459) and Aquila like this.
    11-26-2017 10:11 AM
    "ok Google, lumos"
    "Lumos" and "Nox" are what I use, too .. matter of fact, only way I've ever turned flashlight on/off.
    anon(10274434), Aquila and xzell like this.
    11-26-2017 10:40 AM
    "Lumos" and "Nox" are what I use, too .. matter of fact, only way I've ever turned flashlight on/off.
    I never knew this - very cool - thanks.
    anon(10092459) and Aquila like this.
    11-26-2017 10:53 AM
    It could be that a gesture activated launch of the flashlight will be possible in the future. The squeeze functionality provides an opportunity to launch the flashlight, as demonstrated on the HTC U 11. I used the squeeze extensively for this purpose when I owned the HTC - it was convenient. Maybe this feature will be activated in the future....
    11-26-2017 11:12 AM
    As mentioned by another user, I use Flashlight LED Genius also. Has been on my last few Android phones and works great. I just push the lock button, shake the phone, and on comes the flashlight. A quick shake of the phone again will turn it off. Works great. I can also see where OK Google or squeezing the phone would be just as handy. But, I'm used to the shaking motion to turn the light on with my Pixel 2.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-26-2017 12:06 PM
    As mentioned by another user, I use Flashlight LED Genius also. Has been on my last few Android phones and works great. I just push the lock button, shake the phone, and on comes the flashlight. A quick shake of the phone again will turn it off. Works great. I can also see where OK Google or squeezing the phone would be just as handy. But, I'm used to the shaking motion to turn the light on with my Pixel 2.
    Over 11MB download size for a flashlight app. No thanks.
    11-26-2017 12:34 PM
    I've got a shortcut on my home screen, works pretty well
    Attached Thumbnails A better flashlight shortcut is needed-screenshot_20171126-191647.jpg  
    11-26-2017 02:18 PM
    What are "lumos" and "nox"? I say "flashlight on" and "flashlight off" to turn mine on & off.
    anon(10274434) likes this.
    11-26-2017 02:39 PM
    What are "lumos" and "nox"? I say "flashlight on" and "flashlight off" to turn mine on & off.
    I didn't know this either - thanks - works for me too -
    11-26-2017 03:05 PM
    It's a Harry Potter thing.

"If you want to try being a wizard, try casting spells on your Android phone: Just say “Ok Google” followed by “Lumos” or “Nox” to turn your flashlight on and off. Try “Silencio” to silence the ringer and notifications."
    Hypnotoadd and BBook1999 like this.
    11-26-2017 03:09 PM
    It's from Harry Potter.

Basically just Google being funny. You can use the normal on and off or the Harry Potter version.
    Hypnotoadd and Aquila like this.
    11-26-2017 03:15 PM

This, exactly. I don't think people understand this unless they have truly used it. After using the karate chop on two phones for the past few years, and then doing it out of habit on this one and the light not coming on, it is an adjustment I wish I didn't have to make.
    11-26-2017 04:45 PM
    This, exactly. I don't think people understand this unless they have truly used it. After using the karate chop on two phones for the past few years, and then doing it out of habit on this one and the light not coming on, it is an adjustment I wish I didn't have to make.
    The post you are quoting was directed at me and incorrect. Most of my past phones were Moto. I'm very familiar and used all Moto features. The karate chop you're quoting is cute but it actually caused people to drop phones.
    11-26-2017 04:53 PM
    The post you are quoting was directed at me and incorrect. Most of my past phones were Moto. I'm very familiar and used all Moto features. The karate chop you're quoting is cute but it actually caused people to drop phones.
    If I was speaking to you, I'd have said your name directly, or quoted your post like this. You were not the only one that gave other options in this thread, so to insinuate I was directing something to you specifically is inaccurate.
    11-26-2017 05:00 PM
    I've used it and can agree the chop is very useful.

I just don't think it's something you can find without some 3rd party intervention. It's a Motorola thing. Just like some things are Samsung only.
    11-26-2017 05:28 PM
88 123 ...