Ok, so I receive an incoming call on my 2XL and answer it by swiping up. As soon as I`ve done that the screen goes black and although the phone call can continue I`m unable to end the call as the screen remains black...no amount of shaking the phone,touching the fingerprint sensor or pressing the power button brings the screen back on and I have to wait for the caller to end the call before the screen returns.Obviously if I were to be on the phone to a call centre or somesuch and I needed to access my keypad,as the screen remains black I cant`t do a bloody thing,can anyone help please? Thanks,David.
    12-08-2017 05:36 PM
    I've noticed the screen turning off and unable to wake up on a phone call as well on 8.1 Oreo as soon as the sensor right below the top speaker & microphone is covered up or blocked by my face or hand. This only happens when I have a tempered glass screen protector on. The tempered glass I have has a glass cutout for the sensor. I didn't have this issue with 8.0 Oreo with a tempered glass, but as soon as I took it off the phone it functions as normal.
    12-08-2017 11:49 PM
    This is exactly what is happening on my phone so I think it's probably the latest update
    12-09-2017 02:15 AM
    I just sideloaded the update on my Pixel 2 XL Verizon. Let me test it...
    12-09-2017 02:17 AM
    This is exactly what is happening on my phone so I think it's probably the latest update https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8670027f4c.jpg
    Tested it out. I can play voicemail on speaker and earpiece (screen turns off when brought to face and back on when away).

Same with calls. On and off speaker.

12-09-2017 02:19 AM
    dc52ltr - Are you using a screen protector?
    12-09-2017 02:28 AM
    Yeah, I've had it on since day one. I'm off to work now so I'll take it off when I get home and see what happens, thanks for all your help
    12-09-2017 02:47 AM
    Yeah, I've had it on since day one. I'm off to work now so I'll take it off when I get home and see what happens, thanks for all your help
    More than likely it's the screen protector that's causing the issue. I don't know what Google did but something is broken in the software because like I said on Oreo 8.0 my Pixel 2 XL would work just fine with a screen protector. I also noticed that the double tap to wake doesn't work with the screen protector on, but works fine with it off.

I hate that I had to take the screen protector off because it was a waste of money and now my devices screen is unprotected. Now I have to look at other options as for screen protection goes and hopefully Google gets their act together asap.
    12-09-2017 03:14 AM
    I agree, I bought a slightly curved screen protector and it was about £12/$14,not cheap and it's really good, I'll be highly annoyed if I have to take it off and have wasted good money.
    12-09-2017 03:34 AM
    ****, it's the screen protector.. I've taken it off and everything is OK again. As I said that's a lot of money wasted, how the hell am I (and many others) supposed to protect an expensive phone screen without a screen protector? Bloody ridiculous Google
    12-09-2017 01:32 PM
    ****, it's the screen protector.. I've taken it off and everything is OK again. As I said that's a lot of money wasted, how the hell am I (and many others) supposed to protect an expensive phone screen without a screen protector? Bloody ridiculous Google
    Glad you found the problem at least. I should have mentioned that I don't have a screen protector on my phone.
    12-09-2017 02:57 PM
    These problems are really starting to turn me off to Pixel/Android, I can't really fathom making that "other" leap but I'm sick of problems and my 2XL is riddled with them.
    12-09-2017 06:47 PM
    These problems are really starting to turn me off to Pixel/Android, I can't really fathom making that "other" leap but I'm sick of problems and my 2XL is riddled with them.
    The problem was the 3rd party screen protector (a.k.a nothing to do with the Pixel itself or Android) -- did you read the whole thread or just the OP and assume? .
    12-09-2017 07:08 PM
    If the screen protector partially blocked the sensor, you will have the black screen when you answer a phone call and put your phone near your ear. just be sure the screen protector does not block or cover any area of the sensor opening. Let us know.
    12-09-2017 11:49 PM
    The problem was the 3rd party screen protector (a.k.a nothing to do with the Pixel itself or Android) -- did you read the whole thread or just the OP and assume? .
    The OP said it worked until the 8.1 update. Took the screen protector off and now it works. Said he had it on since day 1 and everything was fine until 8.1. Did you read the whole thread To me it's a Google/Pixel issue since 8.1. Also, all screen protectors are 3rd party.

Something may have changed with the screen sensitivity setting in 8.1, which is probably why some are having double tap to wake issue when using a screen protector.
    jephanie likes this.
    12-10-2017 12:40 AM
    The OP said it worked until the 8.1 update. Took the screen protector off and now it works. Said he had it on since day 1 and everything was fine until 8.1. Did you read the whole thread To me it's a Google/Pixel issue since 8.1. Also, all screen protectors are 3rd party.

Something may have changed with the screen sensitivity setting in 8.1, which is probably why some are having double tap to wake issue when using a screen protector.
    Yes I believe its definately a Google thing in the latest update.I actually removed and refitted the screen proector 3 times and aligned it pefectly but it didn`t work properly,as soon as the protector was off everything was ok. Before I had seen this curved protector online I`d bought a pack of 2 flat glass protectors which have a "proper" empty space where the proximaty sensor is (quite nasty things if truth be known) and have since fitted one until I can find another curved one with a proper cutout rather than a transparent part of the glass Although this cheapy looks cr*p it does a job and works properly.I`ve also contacted the seller of the curved glass cover Ultimate Shield UK and told them of the problem..I await a reply..Hope that clarifies things a bit,regards,David
    12-10-2017 07:03 AM
    Using phones with a screen protector is standard operating. For google to release an update that makes this impossible or difficult for 50 or 60% of use cases is ridiculous.
    12-10-2017 09:47 AM

I have a full coverage screen protector as many do and it works fine. The only way a screen protector could be causing an proximity problem is if the cutouts are misaligned or not cut correctly.
    12-10-2017 10:29 AM
    I have a full coverage screen protector as many do and it works fine. The only way a screen protector could be causing an proximity problem is if the cutouts are misaligned or not cut correctly.
    I agree, but as a software developer I hear complaints all the time after an update. The point is everything was working fine, then the 8.1 update happened, then it stopped working. There's no other explanation. And I believe that Google addressed the sensitivity of the edge of the display, and this could account for the issue as well.
    12-10-2017 12:02 PM
    Using phones with a screen protector is standard operating. For google to release an update that makes this impossible or difficult for 50 or 60% of use cases is ridiculous.
    A ton on the forum team have screen protectors on theirs with zero issue....
    12-10-2017 12:38 PM
    A ton on the forum team have screen protectors on theirs with zero issue....
    Please tell me which full screen screen protectors you are all using or can recommend and I'm more than happy to try them, thanks, David.
    12-10-2017 12:56 PM
    Anyone?
    12-11-2017 05:34 AM
    I've got this issue now, too. It was fine until the 8.1 update. Very frustrating for sure. My screen protector was on the phone since Day 1. Never had a problem until now.
    12-11-2017 08:44 AM
    Anyone?
    I use this one and a couple of people I know use it as well. It seems to be the only half way decent one out there to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-LiQ...cUvbUpU6103335
    Almeuit likes this.
    12-11-2017 09:14 AM
    I use this one and a couple of people I know use it as well. It seems to be the only half way decent one out there to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-LiQ...cUvbUpU6104018
    Thanks for your prompt reply but it can't be shipped to the UK and it's not on Amazon UK either
    12-11-2017 05:43 PM