Facebook and Facebook Messenger Crashing?

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with Facebook and Facebook Messenger Crashing after the latest update?

Anytime the apps are closed out completely on my phone and I try to open them, I get a notification that the application has stopped running and the crash. Does it with both apps.

The Facebook app show the blue screen with the white line like it's loading up and logging me in, then the screen goes black and it crashes.

Usually I get messenger to open first, then once that opens the Facebook app finally opens.

This just started tonight. I have restarted the phone, uninstalled the apps and reinstalled them. All the typical stuff.

Anyone else see this happen? It was working fine all day with no issues.

My phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I noticed it a few days ago. It's a persistent crash. The only way I could get the app to work was to clear the app cache. I submitted feedback. We'll see if Facebook fixes it in the next app update.

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I cleared the cache too. Works on occasion for me, but most of the time it doesn't. I found if I can get the Messenger app to open up, which usually takes 5 or more tried because it's crashing too, the Facebook will load up. Pretty awful considering it's probably one of, if not the most frequently used app on most peoples phones.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Facebook app is crap. It doesn't take advantage of any of the new APIs or Android design language (it's written for Android 6.0 Marshmallow). It's buggy. Facebook basically did the bare minimum to make it tolerable. It needs a total rewrite.

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah works for me that way some of the time too, but not always. Oh well, guess we just got to wait for an update. Lol.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It was what I needed to finally decide to get rid of both. Uninstalled Messenger first a couple of days ago and this morning after 2 or 3 days trying to use the app I gave up and uninstalled it too.

For now, IF I really need to use Facebook I just open a session from the browser, I even turned on the notification settings when the browser asked me so I think I'll keep it this way for a long time.

Last edited:

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Same for me since the "mystery update" on Friday. Things seem to have stabilized, but it was bad on Saturday.

alliegracie97

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Yes, mine crashes whenever I try to open it, I have a Google pixel 2. Also it only opens if someone else sends me a message so that the bubble appears. At all other times it is impossible to access. Unfortunately this leads to one-sided communication which really pisses off my family and friends.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, mine crashes whenever I try to open it, I have a Google pixel 2. Also it only opens if someone else sends me a message so that the bubble appears. At all other times it is impossible to access. Unfortunately this leads to one-sided communication which really pisses off my family and friends.

I'd be pissed at my friends and family if they relied solely on FB to communicate with me. I tell everyone I don't use Messenger on my phone and life goes on.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Pixel 2 on Friday. Loving the phone so far. Anyhow, the Facebook was sporatically causing issues all weekend. It got worse Sunday night through yesterday morning where the app wouldn't even open and constantly crash. I force stopped but that didn't fix anything. What I have found that (knock on wood) has worked so far, is to delete and re-install Facebook.

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any good suggestions for third party Facebook apps? I'm using Friendly right now and it's not bad, but I'd like to hear about experiences with other applications if anyone has any?

anon(5602692)

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem with my pixel 2. Opening Facebook via Google Play solves the crashing problem. It's annoying, but i'm sure dealing with third party applications would be more annoying in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryricherd