Battery optimisation

fearsome

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
How do I turn on battery optimisation on the pixel 2? When I go to battery> battery optimisation it shows my not optamized but when I click on all apps it shows me all the apps are optimized. So I'm just confused if they are optimized or not

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm puzzled - when you go to that view you should initially be presented with a list of apps/services that are not optimized (see 1st screenshot). Then when you select 'All apps' you should see all of the apps on your device, including the ones that are not optimized (see 2nd screenshot - the ones that are not optimized are greyed out). Seems to work correctly for me.
051efae2dff9ce41c53970b367518749.jpg
8d8bed3dc5a2fbeddd865ffb6477a8f8.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Look closely at your All Apps list -- you'll see that not all of them are listed as "Optimizing Battery Use." The ones that are in the Not Optimized list will still show up in the All Apps list as "Optimization Not Available," as shown by GSDer above.

fearsome

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, when u do click all apps they are showing optimizing battery use, does that mean they are already optamized? I just thought I had to enable that but it looks like my pixel 2 did it on its own

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
OP - you're correct that this feature is enabled by default (frankly I'm not even aware of how you would turn it off completely, although you can disable it on an app-by-app basis) and that the OS manages everything.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can't turn it off system wide without hacking things up pieces... But why would you? Google has spent the better part of, what, the last 4 years improving how apps and services use power... Back in JB days, having a rogue app kill your battery in what seemed like minutes was common... I used to reboot my S3 at night just to avoid waking up to a dead phone... Which happened far too many times.

Best piece of advice? Just walk away... Don't fuss with anything in there and you'll be better for it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's worth noting that the Pixel's battery optimization is nothing like the optimization on phones from Huawei and similar companies. Those companies tend to go overboard with aggressive RAM management, which does help in the battery department, but also make the phone's overall performance kludgier.