Screen grain

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
Should I RMA my Pixel 2 XL for screen grain? Has anyone had success at getting a better diaplay?

Attachments

• 20180709_213315.jpg
    20180709_213315.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 102

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
Here is another pic using the camera flash. MAy be able to see it a bit better.

Attachments

• 20180709_220007.jpg
    20180709_220007.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 87

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
What is screen grain?

It's when the screen looks "grainy" or almost like it's dirty as if there is dust underneath the display. It makes the screen look like it's printed on paper and has a texture.

It's kind of hard to show in pictures but if you zoom you can see how the screen looks blotchy.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's when the screen looks "grainy" or almost like it's dirty as if there is dust underneath the display. It makes the screen look like it's printed on paper and has a texture.

It's kind of hard to show in pictures but if you zoom you can see how the screen looks blotchy.

That certainly doesn't describe the excellent screen on my Pixel 2 XL.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Thats why I am wondering if I should RMA mine since it seems to be defective. Just trying to gauge other people's opinions.
You can try. I contacted Google about it and was declined. I went back to the retail store I purchased the phone from showed them the grain, they compared it to the display model (which also had grain) and I was told that's a normal trait of the screens and was declined an RMA.

I have pretty bad grain on my screen. I notice it all the time when I'm scrolling though text and I hate it. I also have pretty bad blue shift and black crush as well. Just not a great panel when compared to the competition on the market. Maybe the later manufactured models fixed these issues, but it doesn't help me.

If you do get approved of an RMA and they do replace it, let me know.

Mattgrossman

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Should I RMA my Pixel 2 XL for screen grain? Has anyone had success at getting a better diaplay?

You sure do like to complain..... First it's the clock icon not being fully a digital circle and now, "screen grain"

Come on, you are nit picking the phone.

I've seen Google reps using the phone and they all have the same look to them.

You would be best suited for an LG or Samsung with oversaturated screen brightness and colours.

Stop nit picking the phone and just enjoy it

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
You sure do like to complain..... First it's the clock icon not being fully a digital circle and now, "screen grain"

You would be best suited for an LG or Samsung with oversaturated screen brightness and colours.

Yeah I'll just sit here and pretend to enjoy my phone that looks like it's printed on paper. I mean I guess I shouldnt expect some sort of quality after dropping $900 on a new phone. The clock icon was just out of pure curiosity and isn't an issue. I can deal with things such as the blue tint, but this is just straight up annoying to look at and not nit picking. You notice it on every white and grey screen. Your comment about being suited for an LG or Samsung screen makes no sense. First, this display is already made by LG. Second, I never complained about screen brightness or colors. I actually much prefer the true colors of this display over a Samsung panel. If you don't think this is an actually issue then just do some research yourself and you will see that there are others who have gotten poor displays. I'm glad you enjoy yours though.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'll just sit here and pretend to enjoy my phone that looks like it's printed on paper. I mean I guess I shouldnt expect some sort of quality after dropping $900 on a new phone. The clock icon was just out of pure curiosity and isn't an issue. I can deal with things such as the blue tint, but this is just straight up annoying to look at and not nit picking. You notice it on every white and grey screen. Your comment about being suited for an LG or Samsung screen makes no sense. First, this display is already made by LG. Second, I never complained about screen brightness or colors. I actually much prefer the true colors of this display over a Samsung panel. If you don't think this is an actually issue then just do some research yourself and you will see that there are others who have gotten poor displays. I'm glad you enjoy yours though.
You can adjust the colours on LG and Samsung phones, so youcna get 'true' colours if you want. Or you an adjust the colours to your preference.

People seem to think that the screen calibration out of the box is the only setting on Samsung phones. They have a wealth of pre-set screen modes and then you can manually tweak it to your liking. Pixel has three settings, two of which are pretty much identical.

As far as the screen grain goes - I agree with you. I don't know if the Pixel 2 XL's manufactured later don't have the issue (mine was manufactured October 2017) or if people just don't notice it or what, but I can see it on my screen and yes, for a phone this price released in 2017, it shouldn't have had these screen issues. Needed tighter QA/QC or should have gone with a different screen/supplier.

Again, try contacting Google for an RMA and see if they allow it. They denied me, but maybe they'll let you.

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
You can adjust the colours on LG and Samsung phones, so youcna get 'true' colours if you want. Or you an adjust the colours to your preference.

People seem to think that the screen calibration out of the box is the only setting on Samsung phones. They have a wealth of pre-set screen modes and then you can manually tweak it to your liking. Pixel has three settings, two of which are pretty much identical.

As far as the screen grain goes - I agree with you. I don't know if the Pixel 2 XL's manufactured later don't have the issue (mine was manufactured October 2017) or if people just don't notice it or what, but I can see it on my screen and yes, for a phone this price released in 2017, it shouldn't have had these screen issues. Needed tighter QA/QC or should have gone with a different screen/supplier.

Again, try contacting Google for an RMA and see if they allow it. They denied me, but maybe they'll let you.

Here's someone with some knowledge. I think I'm going to try to do an RMA. I'll let you know what they say. If they don't accept it, I'm still in my 15 day return window so I may order a new one and compare the two. The Pixel 2 XL is actually $100 off right now so it may be better to go that route.

In terms of later build dates having a better panel, it seems they are still luck of the draw. However I think they have improved the blue shift issue which personally never bothered me since I always look at my screen head on.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's someone with some knowledge. I think I'm going to try to do an RMA. I'll let you know what they say. If they don't accept it, I'm still in my 15 day return window so I may order a new one and compare the two. The Pixel 2 XL is actually $100 off right now so it may be better to go that route.

In terms of later build dates having a better panel, it seems they are still luck of the draw. However I think they have improved the blue shift issue which personally never bothered me since I always look at my screen head on.

I would do a Rma for the blue tint and not the grain. The blue tint is a known issue and they'll probably help with that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

There has been nothing wrong with his posts -- He is allowed to post questions. That is kind of the point of a forum... so please chill out on telling people what to post or not to post about :).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

There has never been any direct correlation on a specific issue based on build dates that was anything other than speculation from what I've seen. Having said that I'm sure things were tightened up a bit on the QC end after early reports of issues. Honestly I don't see the grain in your pictures, however if I saw your phone in person I might be able to notice. As far as blue tint goes every phone I've seen with an OLED has some color shift though it's not always blue. LCD screens don't shift color but change shades from what I can tell. It's all a question of how much they shift and if it's within a normal range. As far as the RMA scene goes, it sometimes depends on who you get on the phone, how you approach it and whether or not it has to be escalated to a technical person. I'm not certain that blue shift or grain is easily RMA'd at this point. In your shoes I would go for a return and repurchase if you are within the timeframe. It could be that this phone is just not for you but that's a decision that you'll have to make.

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 6th replacement and they all had grain, some had a lot some didn't. But they all had it.

If Google doesn't RMA it for grain just say to have a speaker rattle or some BS and they will approve the replacement.