Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X - What I have learned

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So I have been an Android Purist since the Nexus One. I remember sitting in my classroom as a teacher and seeing the news on Google building a phone and an OS. Sporting a Blackberry that day and I could not wait for the shoe to drop and move to a fresh new OS.

Flash foward a year or so and I had purchased the case, screen protectors, a bunch of accessories and the Nexus One launched GSM and Verizon did not get the new phone, I was so frustrated........The OG Droid solved my pain and I grew to love Android immediately.

I have owned every Nexus and every Pixel and currently am sporting a Black Pixel 2 XL and have been pretty happy with the device so far minus a few issues. Android Auto, Blue Screen, Burnt out Pixel, and DJI Drone software compatabilty are just a few that drove me to make a decision, time to get an iPhone.

I wanted to give Apple a fair shake so I went for the best of the best and purchsed an unlocked iPhone X 256gb version a1865. Wow this phone is small and what agreat screen, were my 1st impressions. Then the pain started logging in with my old iPhone 6 Apple ID from work a few years ago and my ID needed double verification and I no longer have that number or phone. UGHHHHH Recovery hell.

OK I created a temporary Apple ID and download every Google App i could find and here is my 3 day comparison.

- Wow there are so many more good apps from Google on iOS; Scrubbies, Selfie, Mechahamster, Just a line, and more.
- Apps for DJI and Gimbals just look better and work better on IOS than Pixel
- Face unlock is good, but I find myself reaching for the finger print scanner on the back like I do with the Pixel
- LOVE the size of the iPhone X, notch does not bother me at all....i had an Essential for a bit so got used to the notch.
- The X has a great screen
- The lifeproof Fre seems to work better on the X than how it was built for the XL. Its loud and I do not feel like I am starining to hear people on phone calls
- Car Play connects and works better on my Kenwood than my Pixel ever has, fores up immedialtely
-iMessage is what it has been talked up to be...pleasntly suprised

- Battery life has been good on the X and so have not noticed a difference, they both last all day the Pixel 2 XL and the X.
- Videos on both the X and XL are really good!!!

- Google Photos is implemented better on the Pixel
- Android Auto is so much more customizable, Waze, Youtube Music, etc...
- Pixel Camera for photos is an a league by itself, not even close in my opinion.
- Love the squeeze feature on the XL and I have squeezed my iphone X a couple times and sad when nothing happens
- Google Assistant eats Siri for breakfast, not even close. I yell ojay google at my iphone all the time and then ask Siri and she can't do that.

What does all this mean, have I switched sides? The quick answer is "no". I will trade my Pixel 2 XL in and get the Pixel 3 when it comes out and probably keep the X for when I drone or am making videos. I can see the advantage for iOS of building one app to work on everything as opposed to Android where there are so many vendors and versions to have to consider when bulding an app. I wonder what would happen if Android had an open source code for Android phones and a closed OS specifically made for Pixel if that whould close the gap. But are there enough PIxel to justify that, I do not think so.....It took awhile but now I understand why Samsung was thinking about creating its own OS. Pixel is an AMAZING PHONE handicapped and benefited by being an open OS, maybe over time project tango and other solutions by google will level that playing field and make it easier on developers. That's it for now, but really wanted to get something down on paper. Let me know what you think

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried the iPhone X for awhile. I definitely didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Face ID worked well, iMessage was very nice, and everything seems to run without any hiccups. My deal breaker was pretty much Google stuff not syncing correctly all the time via iPhone. I know this is due to Apple only allowing their stuff full background access all the time so sometimes it would sync and other times it wouldn't. Such as settings reminders (something I use heavily) via my Google Homes would sometimes pop on the iPhone and other times it would miss. That pretty much broke me.

The camera on the Pixel has also spoiled me. The iPhone didn't take bad photos but I got spoiled with always being able to snap a situation without worry due to the Pixel.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
How well did you get used to the smaller size of the iPhone X after using the Pixel 2 XL? Did the screen feel cramped?

What keyboard app did you use on the iPhone X? How did it compare to Gboard?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How well did you get used to the smaller size of the iPhone X after using the Pixel 2 XL? Did the screen feel cramped?

I personally used Gboard and it worked well. The small form factor you get used to... when I went back to the 2 XL the 2 XL felt massive haha.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pixel Camera for photos is an a league by itself, not even close in my opinion.
That's why everyone is comparing their cameras to the 2/2XL. Google added an image processor chip, so what might take 5-10 seconds on another phone (which, of course, means that they won't do it - 5 to 10 seconds between shots?) is done in a tiny fraction of a second on what amounts to an additional computer.

And, of course, like Apple and iMessages, Google probably won't license Apple to use the technology. (And iMessages is about to be blown out of the water - maybe in about 2 years - by RCS. I guess Google figured, "you won't let me use your protocol, I'll develop a better one".)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And, of course, like Apple and iMessages, Google probably won't license Apple to use the technology. (And iMessages is about to be blown out of the water - maybe in about 2 years - by RCS. I guess Google figured, "you won't let me use your protocol, I'll develop a better one".)

While I hope it is true since RCS would be nice to have -- I will have to see it to believe it. Since it isn't just Google doing something and ti working RCS requires the carriers play ball as well so that adds another factor in that Apple doesn't have to deal with.

KidAKidB

Jun 23, 2018
Visit site
I tried the iPhone X for awhile. I definitely didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Face ID worked well, iMessage was very nice, and everything seems to run without any hiccups. My deal breaker was pretty much Google stuff not syncing correctly all the time via iPhone. I know this is due to Apple only allowing their stuff full background access all the time so sometimes it would sync and other times it wouldn't. Such as settings reminders (something I use heavily) via my Google Homes would sometimes pop on the iPhone and other times it would miss. That pretty much broke me.

The camera on the Pixel has also spoiled me. The iPhone didn't take bad photos but I got spoiled with always being able to snap a situation without worry due to the Pixel.

Same... I tried switching to an iPhone X twice even but both times ended up returning it and sticking to the Pixel 2 XL. The camera on the Pixel along with just how much more open Android is were what made me decide that the iPhone just wasn't for me.

I find that in order to really enjoy iOS you need to be willing to go all in with all Apple services and I just don't want to be locked into one ecosystem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same... I tried switching to an iPhone X twice even but both times ended up returning it and sticking to the Pixel 2 XL. The camera on the Pixel along with just how much more open Android is were what made me decide that the iPhone just wasn't for me.

I find that in order to really enjoy iOS you need to be willing to go all in with all Apple services and I just don't want to be locked into one ecosystem.

Yep. It drove me crazy trying to figure out why sometimes it would sync and sometimes it wouldn't. I had to even set it to manually pull from Google every 15 mins to try and fix ti but nothing was a full fix. The only full fix is to use Siri reminders but then that makes my Google Homes useless for that.. So yep :p.

I am currently waiting for a Pixel 3 / Pixel Watch (or another good LTE enabled Wear OS watch).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I need an ios device at the moment in order to fly my drone. The software experience is so much better and so is how well it works with CarPlay. I am always getting connection error messages with my Pixel 2 XL with my Kenwood and in order to use it with the drone, it seemed like every couple of days i would have to uninstall and reinstall the app on my PIxel 2 XL.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

The screen is about the same size when i hold them side by side. I too am using Gboard.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had an Apple Phone ( OG SE) running along side my OG Pixel.

I dont hate Apple , just like Android more.
The near stock Android such as the Nexus / Pixel line is the type I prefer of Android.

Currently running the OG Pixel and Pixel 2 XL together on different lines.
If I do update this year it will be either Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL

Edit : Also when I used the OG iphone SE , I had a bunch of Google Apps installed on it.

I dont think I could have used it as long as I did if it had been my only phone

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I had an Apple Phone ( OG SE) running along side my OG Pixel.

I dont hate Apple , just like Android more.
The near stock Android such as the Nexus / Pixel line is the type I prefer of Android.

Currently running the OG Pixel and Pixel 2 XL together on different lines.
If I do update this year it will be either Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL

Edit : Also when I used the OG iphone SE , I had a bunch of Google Apps installed on it.

I dont think I could have used it as long as I did if it had been my only phone
How did you like the small size of the iPhone SE? What keyboard app did you use on it?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How did you like the small size of the iPhone SE? What keyboard app did you use on it?

The small screen size was one reason I tried it out. I like having smaller phones at times. I had no issues using the smaller screen. It being so light actually was like it was not in my pocket while at the gym, or when i went on hikes,jogs or runs
I used the Gboard app as my keyboard

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Pixel 2 XL last week and it replaced my X as my daily driver. I personally enjoy both OS, but after trying out stock Android.. I now find iOS to be lacking in many ways. I do still enjoy the simplicity of iOS and how it just works.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I need an ios device at the moment in order to fly my drone. The software experience is so much better and so is how well it works with CarPlay. I am always getting connection error messages with my Pixel 2 XL with my Kenwood and in order to use it with the drone, it seemed like every couple of days i would have to uninstall and reinstall the app on my PIxel 2 XL.

I have a Pixel 2 XL 128.
I have a DJI Mavic Pro drone.
I use the DJI GO 4 app for Android.

Whenever there is a DJI GO 4 app auto update, I check my DJI Mavic Pro to see if there is also a firmware update. There usually is. I'm sure the two need to work together. I've never needed to uninstall/reinstall the DJI app on my Pixel 2 XL.

The bottom line is that I have no problems using my DJI Mavic Pro drone with my Pixel 2 XL.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
And already we've seen TMobile back off. Their "rolling it out 3q18" turned out to be a half assed implementation limited to a precious few phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And already we've seen TMobile back off. Their "rolling it out 3q18" turned out to be a half assed implementation limited to a precious few phones.

I assume you are talking about RCS.. and yes it is a pretty horrible try by T-Mobile. IMO Do it or don't -- not the bad try they did.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
1. "Back button". I can't believe after all this time the iPhone has no "back" key.
2. Variety of home screens. Every iphone home screen I've ever seen looks exactly the same as every other home screen. I cannot say that I've ever seen two identical Android home screens.
3. B-Folders: Holds all my info, passwords, important information, and syncs to any other Windows PC without storing anything in the cloud. Doesn't do Apple.

JCA1222

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy Android over iOS for a few reasons. But the main reason is the customization factor. I began my smartphone experience with the second iPhone (the 3G I think it was called) and upgraded every year until the 5s. This girl I was dating at the time had an android phone (HTC incredible lol) and I used to play around with it alot. It wasn't nothing special, I just liked how it kind of seemed like a mini computer in your pocket. Being able to customize your phone and add live wallpapers and change your icons/font just intrigued me so much compared to my iphone at that time. Now don't get me wrong I loved my iphone and don't have anything bad to say about them, but I just love how android works. I can set up my phone the way I like it and that really matters to me. I have been an android user since the since the Galaxy s3 and even though there have been times where I thought about going back, I just could not do it. Maybe one day, but for now ANDROID it is!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
As someone who also owns both the Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X, I always find myself reaching for my Pixel. Sure, the Google apps on the X may look better on iPhone, but they're optimized better on the Pixel. The Google apps don't sync in the background on the X. And, like all the other usual reasons why people prefer Android over iOS, I prefer the customization. But the biggest thing is my VPN (NordVPN) stays connected when my Pixel is asleep whereas WiFi doesn't stay on with the X in sleep so the VPN always disconnects. It doesn't make me feel like my internet traffic was safe while the iPhone was asleep. No matter how safe and secure iMessages and the like are, if I can't stay connected to my VPN, that's a deal breaker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2