Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X - What I have learned

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You simply do not understand that iCloud is NOT a online photo and video storage platform. It’s a device to sync everything (that you want to) between your various Apple devices. It’s not designed as online storage for photos

Not true.....you get a small amount of storage for free and you can purchase more. If there was no storage you wouldn't be able to restore your pictures on a new device.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Please don't Apple-splain to me. I've been using Apple products for years. iCloud is definitely used for photo and video storage on top of being used to sync everything between Apple devices.

As have I. People who don’t fully understand often get into “trouble”. If, say you have 3 devices all syncd to iCloud and you delete a photo on one of the devices, it’s gone everywhere. Gone on the other two devices and on the iCloud “storage”. That’s not what most people would call “online storage”. :)
I don’t know how many time I’ve seen someone gripe about loosing a photo just because of that.
Now I’m not saying its bad as long as the person understands.

trimfast

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am currently in the same boat as others. I have been a Android user since the HTC Eris on Verizon. I went to the iphone X in April after using the Pixel XL for months after I heard about the screen issues during my preorder. The X has been very good to me and I initially went that route for having a larger screen to size ratio, as wanting to try the apple watch after my first foray into wearables with the moto watch. This past week I was missing android so I decided to play with my Pixel XL 1 with the Pie update. I was missing it so much after that day that I ordered a Pixel 2 XL. The phone itself is gorgeous in my opinion and the size of the 6P which I ran for two years. However, there are things I miss about the iphone X which is pretty much making me decide to return the 2 Xl. 1. The shear size of it these days is big in comparison. It simply has been nice using a phone that sits in my cup holder of the car. 2. Imessages really do work well with other apple users. Considering 90% of the people I know have apple, this just works. 3. Sitting side by side my iphone x gets messages and emails a minute faster than the 2 XL on the same wifi. 4. The touch screen on the 2 Xl seems to have issues in comparison to the iphone x. 5. I really am enjoying the apple watch which I didn't think I would. 6. I can actually feel like using my phone with the iphone at the gym, rather than carry the 2 xl to stream music on the treadmill. What I like more about the 2 Xl, is side by side, the video looks so much better in my opinion that the iphone x. The 2XL form factor and hardware design I really have always liked the Panda. I love the customization of Android far more than Apple including the app drawer vs having to move all my apps to a new screen on the apple so it is not cluttered and therefore creating a swipe for apps like the app drawer.

I honestly never thought I would be in this position, but here I am.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I am currently in the same boat as others. I have been a Android user since the HTC Eris on Verizon. I went to the iphone X in April after using the Pixel XL for months after I heard about the screen issues during my preorder. The X has been very good to me and I initially went that route for having a larger screen to size ratio, as wanting to try the apple watch after my first foray into wearables with the moto watch. This past week I was missing android so I decided to play with my Pixel XL 1 with the Pie update. I was missing it so much after that day that I ordered a Pixel 2 XL. The phone itself is gorgeous in my opinion and the size of the 6P which I ran for two years. However, there are things I miss about the iphone X which is pretty much making me decide to return the 2 Xl. 1. The shear size of it these days is big in comparison. It simply has been nice using a phone that sits in my cup holder of the car. 2. Imessages really do work well with other apple users. Considering 90% of the people I know have apple, this just works. 3. Sitting side by side my iphone x gets messages and emails a minute faster than the 2 XL on the same wifi. 4. The touch screen on the 2 Xl seems to have issues in comparison to the iphone x. 5. I really am enjoying the apple watch which I didn't think I would. 6. I can actually feel like using my phone with the iphone at the gym, rather than carry the 2 xl to stream music on the treadmill. What I like more about the 2 Xl, is side by side, the video looks so much better in my opinion that the iphone x. The 2XL form factor and hardware design I really have always liked the Panda. I love the customization of Android far more than Apple including the app drawer vs having to move all my apps to a new screen on the apple so it is not cluttered and therefore creating a swipe for apps like the app drawer.

I honestly never thought I would be in this position, but here I am.

I been back and forth as well but keep returning to the X. I finally had to shake myself and say enough is enough. As much as I want to use a pixel device, the size of the X paired with an apple watch works SO WELL. I have an imac, apple watch, iPhone, and iPad that all sync together. I can't get that experience with Android.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
As have I. People who don’t fully understand often get into “trouble”. If, say you have 3 devices all syncd to iCloud and you delete a photo on one of the devices, it’s gone everywhere. Gone on the other two devices and on the iCloud “storage”. That’s not what most people would call “online storage”. :)
I don’t know how many time I’ve seen someone gripe about loosing a photo just because of that.
Now I’m not saying its bad as long as the person understands.

This. This right here is my single biggest gripe with iCloud. This is not how Cloud storage should work. If I want to free up physical memory space on my phone but still keep those photos backed up on the cloud storage I pay for I should be able to do so. Not have the Cloud copy deleted when I delete the original. This means you really still need to pay for a 3rd party service like OneDrive or Google Photos etc

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't know why anyone who uses an iPhone would use iCloud for photo storage when you can use Google Photos, which is FAR superior.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Again I’ll say, iCloud is not for photo STORAGE. It’s a syncing mechanism, not a online photo storage thing. G drive, one drive, Dropbox, etc., those are all online photo storage devices.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This. This right here is my single biggest gripe with iCloud. This is not how Cloud storage should work. If I want to free up physical memory space on my phone but still keep those photos backed up on the cloud storage I pay for I should be able to do so. Not have the Cloud copy deleted when I delete the original. This means you really still need to pay for a 3rd party service like OneDrive or Google Photos etc

Of course I use Google photos. Doesn't everyone here?
I also use Microsoft OneDrive and since I'm an Office 365 subscriber I get the included 1 terabyte of OneDrive space. My phone is set to auto back up to both OneDrive and Google Photos. I love having the security of OneDrive for all my data and for all my cell phone images. OneDrive is also used for all my digital camera photos. OneDrive also works seamlessly with my Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC subscription.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Of course I use Google photos. Doesn't everyone here?
I also use Microsoft OneDrive and since I'm an Office 365 subscriber I get the included 1 terabyte of OneDrive space. My phone is set to auto back up to both OneDrive and Google Photos. I love having the security of OneDrive for all my data and for all my cell phone images. OneDrive is also used for all my digital camera photos. OneDrive also works seamlessly with my Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC subscription.

Yeah I'm a long time OneDrive/SkyDrive user too. I tried to switch to Google Photos/Drive last year since it was cheaper but switched back after a few months. Nothing comes close for me or is as reliable as OneDrive and it's seamless across all devices

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Again I’ll say, iCloud is not for photo STORAGE. It’s a syncing mechanism, not a online photo storage thing. G drive, one drive, Dropbox, etc., those are all online photo storage devices.

It is for iPhones. I don't know what you are talking about. Sure, its for syncing and backups too but you absolutely can use it for photo storage. That's how you get photos across devices, its stored somewhere.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is for iPhones. I don't know what you are talking about. Sure, its for syncing and backups too but you absolutely can use it for photo storage. That's how you get photos across devices, its stored somewhere.

I think he means you can't store it and not have it elsewhere. Such as if I have 20 GB of photos that 20 GB must also be present on my phone in order to be in iCloud whereas with Google I can store that 20 GB in the cloud and free it up off my phone.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Oh ok that makes sense. Yeah, again, I don't see why anyone would use that on an iPhone when you can use Google Photos. Apple is so stupid with some of their services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174