A doubt about Display Brightness in Android pie

neerajgv007

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

So, finally Pixel 2 let me feel why you should go for phones from Google. I felt privileged to receive the Android P installed on my Pixel 2 within hours of official final release unlike my previous Moto X where we were on the mercy of the Motorola/Lenovo.

Now coming to the issue, i used to have a fixed brightness level at 10% in Oreo version on Pixel 2. But this morning once the upgrade was complere, I noticed that brightness level is at 56%. I thought probably system might have these default values fixed by the developers but once I manually slide down the navigation bar to 10%, the display brightness was so low (similar to 2 second low brightness level before phone turns off display due to timeout) thay i literally felt something went wrong with my phone. Now I have enabled adaptive brightness to let the phone decide the optimum brightness level.

Did something changed with the display brightness, I mean the definition of the percentage levels shown on brightness control bar or am I missing something.

Please help.

Thanks

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Screen brightness is still the same. It's the brightness slider behavior that has changed.

Here's a good explanation from XDA:

The first noteworthy feature is a changed brightness slider behavior: It now changes the brightness logarithmically instead of linearly. Before this preview when it was linear, about 90% of the brightness was controlled by the lower 20% of the left of the slider. The old 50% brightness was almost identical to 100% max brightness, and the old 5% brightness was significantly brighter than 0% brightness. Now, the change in perceptual brightness is more uniform as you increase or decrease the slider.

neerajgv007

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Screen brightness is still the same. It's the brightness slider behavior that has changed.

Here's a good explanation from XDA:

Thanks for the information.

If I understood correctly the XDA explanation, then does it mean: If we set up brightness at 10% it will be actually 10% brightness and not some extrapolated slider operation where lower 20% of slider controls 90% of brightness as it used to be in earlier version of Android.

Am I correct? Also, does it mean that for all these days with Pixel 2 on Oreo, I was using the screen at probably 50% brightness though on slider it shows a numeric 10% value?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, adjusting the brightness slider will now be more even instead of getting big initial increase in brightness. 10% was probably closer to 50% and even 2℅ was much brighter than 0.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma