Google Fi VPN issues.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I had to disable VPN on my Pixel 3 as it was blocking ESPN+ from streaming. When i go back to enable it now there are no VPNs to be found. Has anyone else experienced this?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What if you do it through the Fi app? That's where I've always done it. Open the app, scroll down to Fi network tools then select the Enhance Network feature.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was able to do it in the Fi app. Anyone know where Google's VPN servers are located?

Where the phones are manufactured - in China (g)

Actually, last Sept I purchased my first Google phone, the Pixel 3, and signed up for Fi to take on a two week trip to China. It worked flawlessly including getting/sending gmail, visiting Yahoo.com for news and Gmaps worked whenever I wanted to do a screen capture of a map of where were were on the trip. Others with US carriers were having connection problems and were blocked from google services. I knew I could not afford Verizon's rates and knew I would not rely on any local wifi due to security concerns. Fi's data and calling rates were reasonable. I continued to use it and used it in Italy on a cross-country ski trip in Feb. All along, I kept my Verizon account until finally dumping it last month after more than 20 years. I'm sure that I will miss Verizon if I can venture to the US Southwest and boonies but otherwise Fi has been fine. While I did install a few VPN's before the trip and did the extra authentication, it all worked fine. I had Nord and Windscribe installed.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was able to do it in the Fi app. Anyone know where Google's VPN servers are located?

I don't believe that (location) has anything to do with it. Either a) ESPN+ has figured out the IP addresses of Goole's VPN servers or b) Google has a deal with big companies like ESPN+ to, effectively, not allow users to bypass limits those companies wish to enforce.

I had similar issues with the Google Fi VPN and - if I recall correctly - Netflix. I pay for an annual subscription to ExpressVPN primarily because I travel internationally often, but also because it seems to work with services that the Goolge Fi VPN does not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.expressvpn.vpn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87