Google's VPN causing issues

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed some pretty significant connection interruptions or just flat out Wi-Fi or mobile data just not working but when you disable or snooze or turn off the VPN by Google things seem to start working again? And I'm not necessarily referencing the bypass feature either.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it only for certain websites/apps, or is it for any connection at all? VPNs can definitely interfere with specific sites/apps if they depend on a certain server connection.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it only for certain websites/apps, or is it for any connection at all? VPNs can definitely interfere with specific sites/apps if they depend on a certain server connection.
It's not one particular website or application it's the overall general connection that seems to be affected because the minute I disable it or turn it off or force stop at via settings, I will start getting emails, text messages, whatever else that would normally require a connection to work properly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not one particular website or application it's the overall general connection that seems to be affected because the minute I disable it or turn it off or force stop at via settings, I will start getting emails, text messages, whatever else that would normally require a connection to work properly.

Hmm. This isn't a work phone, right?

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. This isn't a work phone, right?
Correct personal. New since October. I love the phone and want to continue to but it's frustrating when my wife's 6a works flawlessly it seems and mine has these issues. It's like I really want to take advantage of all the features and capabilities such as the native VPN but not at the expense of having such connection issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No other 3rd party security apps either?

I would send feedback to Google about this for now.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You might consider the Proton free VPN. In order to use it, you need Proton Mail installed. This may put you off.

I have been using it for most of a year on three different phones. (Pixel 5, Pixel 6, Pixel 7 Pro)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google One VPN is not super reliable compared to other VPN options. When I use Google VPN, I have also run into issues where network connection completely stops working once in a while. Sometimes switching on/off VPN will fix it. I also have express VPN which is very reliable. Overall Google VPN is fine but it's definitely not as robust or feature rich compared to standalone VPN offerings.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Google One VPN is not super reliable compared to other VPN options. When I use Google VPN, I have also run into issues where network connection completely stops working once in a while. Sometimes switching on/off VPN will fix it. I also have express VPN which is very reliable. Overall Google VPN is fine but it's definitely not as robust or feature rich compared to standalone VPN offerings.

I totally get it and see that, half the time the snooze or disable buttons on the notification panel don't even work! I will say however Google pushed and update yesterday via the Play store for the VPN via Google connection services

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
When it was first made available as free to pixel users I tried it and found it to work really well, surprisingly well actually compared to other VPN's I had tried it was very quick and not laggy. Then after awhile it wouldn't even load or stay on and hasn't worked since.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I too found it worked quite well at the beginning but has not worked for months. I contacted Google and received no satisfaction so it just sits there and does nothing now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I had problems with the Google One VPN until today. Someone suggested clearing the Data on the Google One app. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. That fixed it.

The problem had something to do with turning off notifications for the app. Even turning them back on did nothing.

Uninstalling and starting over worked.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I had problems with the Google One VPN until today. Someone suggested clearing the Data on the Google One app. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. That fixed it.

The problem had something to do with turning off notifications for the app. Even turning them back on did nothing.

Uninstalling and starting over worked.

I tried this early on but had no luck. Might give it a go again.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I too found it worked quite well at the beginning but has not worked for months. I contacted Google and received no satisfaction so it just sits there and does nothing now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
So this is weird, I uninstalled Google one and reinstalled it and now I don't have an option to activate the VPN without paying! It's my understanding with the pixel 7 we should not have to pay for this!! Wtf

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
So this is weird, I uninstalled Google one and reinstalled it and now I don't have an option to activate the VPN without paying! It's my understanding with the pixel 7 we should not have to pay for this!! Wtf

That is strange. I do pay for 2TB of storage so maybe that is the difference but you are correct the VPN should be free to you.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Same here, it told me I wasn’t signed in even tho I was. It eventually stopped prompting me to pay but still didn’t work, maybe that’s the issue, need to pay now?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah now it’s telling me again that I need a subscription. I sent feed back to Google , but doubtful I’ll hear anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss