Pixel 3 XL

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Google is doing this so they can market the device at a very competitive cost!! haha just kidding, they are going to ask top dollar for this. I haven't had a note since the Note 3. I usually only like stock but I guess I am going to the dark side of Samsung.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Be careful of those big down payments (if you're on t-mobile).

Yeah I Kno, that's why I'm going to wait and see if it's the best deal for me . Otherwise I can sell the s9+ and my 8+ then get the note ..I've got to sell some of my phone's I'm keeping too many not good

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
ut how come other OEMs aren't doing the same, in order to achieve no bottom bezel? Speakers?
Money! It's more expensive than just connecting the display panel at one or another end behind a bit of bezel. Not to mention that all those components that used to sit behind the bezel have to be moved back or up behind the display. That's got to add even more time & expense to the equation.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
How come there's a big chin?

Speaker + other components, such as the bottom display connectors.

For real! Big notch so you havea thin top bezel but it has a big chin. Looks so unbalanced and awkward. SMH

Chin and top bezel are not related unless the OEM makes them similar size for symmetry. Making a bigger chin does not reduce or increase the quantity or size of stuff that would go in a top bezel.

Yeah. And how can the iPhone X have no bottom bezel at all? Is it just cos there's a FFS on the Pixel?

The iPhone bends the glass of the display around the bottom of the device and plugs into connectors at a downward angle.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This is an embarrassing piece of trash that just might set the Pixel program back.

Talk about ugly. Yuck.

I suspect a few million people are about to disagree with you. Luckily for Google, they already have sales outnumbering the regular readership of all Android related tech blogs combined.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
But how come other OEMs aren't doing the same, in order to achieve no bottom bezel? Speakers?

Part of it is that Google is a toddler in the hardware game. They don't have OEM partners to do the heavy lifting for them. So it's, spend a ton of money and time making the bezel smaller or don't waste all that energy/resource and do something more valuable. The other part of it is that, afaik, only Samsung has figured out how to make the displays that are able to do this feature and Google isn't buying these displays from Samsung.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think the leaked videos are real?? If the specs are accurate I honestly don't see a reason to upgrade from the pixel 2 xl. I was really looking fwd to upgrading to the pixel 3 xl, but now I'm a bit disappointed if the specs are real.

Yes I think the videos are very real, and the specs are very (disappointingly) real too.

You can get much better flagships in 2018 for your dollar than the Pixel 3 XL. P3XL feels like a repackaged Pixel 2 XL, just with a hideous notch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I think the videos are very real, and the specs are very (disappointingly) real too.

You can get much better flagships in 2018 for your dollar than the Pixel 3 XL. P3XL feels like a repackaged Pixel 2 XL, just with a hideous notch.

I agree with you, the only way they will learn is poor sales . If those rumors do come true it's a insult to the pixel 2 or 2xl which i thought they were going into the right direction. Google big but they are not Samsung phone Wise to feel comfortable with whatever they feel. Majority of people know 2 company Samsung/Apple if Google wants to be up there they need not make mistakes.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I actually agree with you for once. I will one up you. This may be the worst phone of the year, any company. Google should fire everyone involved with this trash phone. No, I am not joking.

I suspect a few million people are about to disagree with you. Luckily for Google, they already have sales outnumbering the regular readership of all Android related tech blogs combined.

This piece of trash won't break 300K. The 3? yes, the 3 XL? No. Not even close. It's like Google is purposefully sabotaging themselves with this phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Part of it is that Google is a toddler in the hardware game. They don't have OEM partners to do the heavy lifting for them. So it's, spend a ton of money and time making the bezel smaller or don't waste all that energy/resource and do something more valuable. The other part of it is that, afaik, only Samsung has figured out how to make the displays that are able to do this feature and Google isn't buying these displays from Samsung.

I don't buy this argument at all.

Essential was a brand new company, their first phone they make is the Essential phone with has a tiny cutout for the front camera and a bit of a bottom bezel and it was released in 2017. If Google is a toddler in hardware design, then Essential was a newborn and still managed to design a far better looking phone 1.5 years in advance

I refuse to believe Google's hardware engineers can't come up with a much, much better design that what they've put into the Pixel 3 XL, whereas startup companies like Essential or dying companies like HTC can do so. Google themselves aren't manufacturing the device, they just need to design it and send the plans to Foxxcon to manufacture it.

Google's designers are just terrible and we're left with a phone with the biggest, ugliest notch on a phone, a large bottom bezel and 2016 specs with 3,430mah battery, 4gb ram, 64gb base storage, no headphone jack, poor-quality LG displays, single camera etc. Every other OEM that is putting out a legitimate high-end flagship. Where exactly is the value in the Pixel 3 XL?

On top of that, Google *should* be spending the time and effort to make the design exquisite. This is going to be their high-end flagship phone that'll retail for $850+, so there's no excuse to cut corners, but cutting corners is all we've seen so far.

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all your statements. I will wait and see what Google actually announces, but if the leaks are the final product as far as hardware specs go then to me having stock Android won't be enough to get me to upgrade from my Pixel 2 XL. For that prefer to keep what I have or jump ship to a Galaxy note or S model.
I don't buy this argument at all.

Essential was a brand new company, their first phone they make is the Essential phone with has a tiny cutout for the front camera and a bit of a bottom bezel and it was released in 2017.

I refuse to believe Google's hardware engineers can't come up with a much, much better design that what they've put into the Pixel 3 XL, whereas startup companies like Essential or dying companies like HTC can do so. Google themselves aren't manufacturing the device, they just need to design it and send the plans to Foxxcon to manufacture it.

Google's designers are just terrible and we're left with a phone with the biggest, ugliest notch on a phone, a large bottom bezel and 2016 specs with 3,430mah battery, 4gb ram, 64gb base storage, no headphone jack, poor-quality LG displays, single camera etc. Every other OEM that is putting out a high-end flagship. Where exactly is the value in the Pixel 3 XL?

On top of that, Google *should* be spending the time and effort to make the design exquisite. This is going to be their high-end flagship phone that'll retail for $850+, so there's no excuse to cut corners, but cutting corners is all we've seen so far.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all your statements. I will wait and see what Google actually announces, but if the leaks are the final product as far as hardware specs go then to me having stock Android won't be enough to get me to upgrade from my Pixel 2 XL. For that prefer to keep what I have or jump ship to a Galaxy note or S model.
I'm thinking of getting a Note 9 or something and just porting the Pixel UI if I don't like Samsung's UI.

Still undecided, I'll wait for the Pixel 3 reveal.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would probably throw nova launcher and configure it to look like stock Android aka pixel launcher. I as well will wait until the actual reveal to then make my decision. Who knows, you never know this could be just a publicity stunt. 🤞
I'm thinking of getting a Note 9 or something and just porting the Pixel UI if I don't like Samsung's UI.

Still undecided, I'll wait for the Pixel 3 reveal.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would probably throw nova launcher and configure it to look like stock Android aka pixel launcher. I as well will wait until the actual reveal to then make my decision. Who knows, you never know this could be just a publicity stunt. 🤞
Hah, I don't think this a publicity stunt, I think these leaks are real. And you're right, maybe a Nova launcher will do the trick.

Right now, Samsung have a promotion. Where if you pre-order the Galaxy Note 9, you can get the 8gb/512gb model for the price of the 6gb/128gb version.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Whoah that's huge savings and s great deal!!! Uhmmmm.
Hah, I don't think this a publicity stunt, I think these leaks are real. And you're right, maybe a Nova launcher will do the trick.

Right now, Samsung have a promotion. Where if you pre-order the Galaxy Note 9, you can get the 8gb/512gb model for the price of the 6gb/128gb version.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
1) It seems that this is more of a 3XLs than anything, and I'm cool with that.

2) Did we really need another thread for the same people to come complain about the same things in circles again?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch