Different question about the Pixel phone series...

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone consider the deeper work Google is doing when they consider the Pixel Brand? The AI & ML part of the equation? We talk a lot about the hardware here, but does the software innovations matter much to you as a consumer?

Posting this recent video about some of the AI work they are doing, and while I think the entire 8 min video is good, at 3:12 there is a section that talks about the technology in the Pixel camera and how that same technology is being applied to medical advancement.

Does something like that matter to you as a consumer?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not AI, that's pattern matching. AI is the computer telling you that it doesn't feel like working today, do it yourself. We're a few centuries from that.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
That's not AI, that's pattern matching. AI is the computer telling you that it doesn't feel like working today, do it yourself. We're a few centuries from that.

However you want to label it, does that type of work matter to you when you consider the Pixel phone at all?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Eh not quite, that's a pretty narrow section of AI. AI is a broad scope that includes things like neural networks, machine learning and even the assistants in our phones, among many many other things.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone consider the deeper work Google is doing when they consider the Pixel Brand? The AI & ML part of the equation? We talk a lot about the hardware here, but does the software innovations matter much to you as a consumer?

Posting this recent video about some of the AI work they are doing, and while I think the entire 8 min video is good, at 3:12 there is a section that talks about the technology in the Pixel camera and how that same technology is being applied to medical advancement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbdVsi1VjQY&index=2&list=FLyrsM2cszIy3lqxk6_UvsKg&t=0s

All the work the are doing internally on their hardware is a huge interest to me. Part of the reason why I have so much Google stuff in the house.

It's even more interest to see how it transfers to other division, spawns new devices and which pieces outside companies can utilize for their own offerings.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
All the work the are doing internally on their hardware is a huge interest to me. Part of the reason why I have so much Google stuff in the house.

It's even more interest to see how it transfers to other division, spawns new devices and which pieces outside companies can utilize for their own offerings.

Definitely agree with you. It's exciting to see some of the possibilities come to fruition and really start to help people around the world in different ways. Google is best positioned, IMO, to push innovations in this space to a variety of industries.

Regarding the topic of the post, the "AI first" philosophy definitely plays a significant part of my decision to purchase Google hardware products and use their services. I look forward to continued integration of this level of technology into the Pixel phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbdVsi1VjQY&index=2&list=FLyrsM2cszIy3lqxk6_UvsKg&t=0s

Yes..... It's important to me

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I agree, I love technology
I like the tech they put in phones now
I'm in the auto industry for 25 years , all the new tech Abs ,direct injection,faster engine controlled computers,hybrids ect.. all come from military and aviation technology applied to our cars . So yes it all fascinates me. Plus I do modify my own cars and race them

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree, I love technology
I like the tech they put in phones now
I'm in the auto industry for 25 years , all the new tech Abs ,direct injection,faster engine controlled computers,hybrids ect.. all come from military and aviation technology applied to our cars . So yes it all fascinates me. Plus I do modify my own cars and race them

Ya know, Stang.. I need to be more open minded about new car tech as I am about personal tech. I'm a V8 kinda guy, and my circle of friends give me Hell because I don't look at some of the newer things going on with V6 or even like inline 4. :p

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ya know, Stang.. I need to be more open minded about new car tech as I am about personal tech. I'm a V8 kinda guy, and my circle of friends give me Hell because I don't look at some of the newer things going on with V6 or even like inline 4. :p

Definitely,

it will blow your mind away how new technology is in cars today

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My 1st car was a 1955 Ford. Are you telling me there have been advancements since then?
:D

OOOPS, have to get back on topic. My 1955 Ford did not come with the Pixel 3 phone option.

Your lucky you didn't have a model T ))

1955 Ford beautiful cars 🤣no pixel option

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't really matter to me. I guess it's nice, but I'm a consumer and I'm after the best product for my money.

Google using the camera tech for cell staining doesn't make the phone better or my experience better, so I don't care for it and doesn't come into my decision making. Google could be doing a million things but I'm not buying a Pixel phone because of it - they need to prove to me the phone is outstanding and worth buying over the competition.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't really matter to me. I guess it's nice, but I'm a consumer and I'm after the best product for my money.

Google using the camera tech for cell staining doesn't make the phone better or my experience better, so I don't care for it and doesn't come into my decision making. Google could be doing a million things but I'm not buying a Pixel phone because of it - they need to prove to me the phone is outstanding and worth buying over the competition.

Sounds like you'd buy a phone that could only make phone calls as long as it looked pretty.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes, AI and ML matter to me. That's one of the main reasons I continue to support Google. I genuinely hope to see Google bring REAL AI to our society within my lifetime. I would embrace that technology wholeheartedly and the first place I expect to see it is in phones.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What you're describing sounds more like sentience. Machine learning can't happen without a degree of intelligence to make use of what it learns. There a wide gap from being able to learn from data gathered and utilize it, and being able to make a conscious decision to do something or not.

For example, the military has computers that are able to analyze a situation based on data from sensors and human input, recognize what is happening, and make a suggestion on the proper course of action (or take action with the best outcome based on a set of guidelines). But to suggest that's the same thing as said computer revolting against the military and refusing to work for them any longer is incorrect. The former requires just enough of a degree of intelligence to be to analyze data and learn from it. The latter requires sentience, conscious, something that still isn't achievable.

Now continued learning could someday bring AI to sentience, but that takes a long time to achieve. Look at a baby. After birth, it mostly operates on instinct rather than intelligence. But with time and experience, it learns and grows. After it learns and experiences enough, it's able to reach conclusions, then it's able to make informed decisions (though some people don't always make it to that level).

So just because something is intelligent, it doesn't mean it's sentient or concious.