Question: about Medical Pacemaker app that - DOES NOT WORK WITH PIXEL phones . .

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
. . or several new Samsung phones!

After an elderly family member of ours had emergency pacemaker surgery yesterday to install a Pacemaker, the Cardiologist doctor that later came to the hospital room, after recovery, to explain how the Pacemaker (MRI SURESCAN™ Pacemaker - a major brand) and its monitor works, informed us that—with regards to its app—"none of the Pixel phones work with our MRI SURESCAN™ Pacemaker app" !:~\

And that some Samsung phones work with their app, such as the S23U and some other S models; however our elderly fam-members' brand new A54 5G is one of the several Samsung phones that does not! Even though it's a 2023 model running Android 13, One UI 5.1 w/128GB - 6GB RAM

Though, apparently, their app works with most iphones !:~\

The doc couldn't explain why. But it left me wondering why their Pacemaker app doesn't work with any Pixel phones; works with only some Samsung phones, but works with most iphones!?

Is it likely due to the chipset & GPU? Or just the version development stage of the app?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can't find an app called "MRI Surescan." Are you sure it isn't Medtronic's MyCareLink Heart app?
Yes! That's it. I forgot to mention that it's made by Medtronic. :rolleyes:
And I guess a couple doc's told my wife something about the app having to show a blue icon (in google play)....if it's likely to work with your phone....but if it shows a green icon, it probably won't work w/ your phone. Or something similar to that.
Bottom line . . they admitted it's s a very buggy app, that doesn't work with any Pixel phones, and only some Samsung's.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Play Store shows that it's available for installation on my Pixel 7 Pro and Galaxy A32 5G. Of course, I can't test the app to make sure they function correctly, but your family member can at least install it and see if it works.

Reviews for the app do not mention any issues with Pixels or Samsung phones.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The Play Store shows that it's available for installation on my Pixel 7 Pro and Galaxy A32 5G. Of course, I can't test the app to make sure they function correctly, but your family member can at least install it and see if it works.

Reviews for the app do not mention any issues with Pixels or Samsung phones.
Hmmm. Thanks. I'll let them know.
Perhaps the doctor/reps are giving false information, and aren't up on the latest dev's with the Medtronic app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that the doctor was talking about blue vs green makes me wonder if they're conflating iMessage vs SMS issues with whether the app will work. Or maybe the app communicates with the patient or the doctors via iMessage, and doesn't work well via SMS? That would the dumbest of dumb compatibility issues.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
And thanks again, @B. Diddy, as I see from their compatibility chart– that Pixel's running Android 13+ apparently do work w/ the app.
And although most Samsung's are listed as working, the A54 5G isn't listed amongst the Samsungs.
Thanks very much, @B. Diddy , for looking-up that helpful info !;-)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And thanks again, @B. Diddy, as I see from their compatibility chart– that Pixel's running Android 13+ apparently do work w/ the app.
And although most Samsung's are listed as working, the A54 5G isn't listed amongst the Samsungs.
Thanks very much, @B. Diddy , for looking-up that helpful info !;-)
Aha! I didn't even see that detailed compatibility chart! Good find. 😁

And just because the A54 isn't on the list doesn't necessarily mean it's incompatible. Companies like this often don't update these lists on a constant basis, and there are new phones coming out every few months. It's still worth giving it a try.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Aha! I didn't even see that detailed compatibility chart! Good find. 😁

And just because the A54 isn't on the list doesn't necessarily mean it's incompatible. Companies like this often don't update these lists on a constant basis, and there are new phones coming out every few months. It's still worth giving it a try.
Will do ! 👍 And was thinking the same; thanks for your help! 😉

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Turns out the Galaxy A54 5G is incompatible, i.e. not compatible with the MyCareLink Heat app. =(
That's why it's not listed on their compatibility chart.

Regarding the blue or green icon issue, one of the nurses at the hospital tried to load the MyCareLink Heart app– on our fam members A54, and from what I've been told, when the app icon came up green, she said, (paraphrased):
"It's not going to work with this phone. Because when the app icon is green... it won't/can't install; but rather, when the app does load/install...the icon is always blue. It's still a pretty glitchy and buggy app."

• Sad
Reactions: B. Diddy

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Bought it via amazon; "Sold by: Amazon"; so 30 days to return (I think even though it's been opened & activated).

But the hospital set our fam member up with a plug-in monitor, that sets on the nightstand, of which the nurses said was more dependable and reliable, as they told my wife that, "It's still a pretty glitchy and buggy app."

So, since the fam member really likes the A54 5G, (much more than the Pixel 7, we already returned), we'll probably keep it.

Cuz if I have to order & return anymore phones & phone cases.... I'm gonna go crazy ! 🤯 Though thanks very much for the suggestions. 😉

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That's frustrating. 😖 Maybe time for that family member to trade in the A54 for something that is compatible.
Can you return it or exchange it for another device?
Turns out the Galaxy A54 5G is incompatible, i.e. not compatible with the MyCareLink Heat app. =(
That's why it's not listed on their compatibility chart.

Regarding the blue or green icon issue, one of the nurses at the hospital tried to load the MyCareLink Heart app– on our fam members A54, and from what I've been told, when the app icon came up green, she said, (paraphrased):
"It's not going to work with this phone. Because when the app icon is green... it won't/can't install; but rather, when the app does load/install...the icon is always blue. It's still a pretty glitchy and buggy app."
Well, if it's not one thing . . . it's one thing after another! 🥴
The pacemaker device clinic called yesterday, saying that they wanted us to rush our fam member in for a chest x-ray, because the device monitor is sending some odd signals... that makes them think that one of the leads, they embedded in her heart, has shifted. And the emergency chest x-ray confirmed it. So now the fam member has to go back in for surgery--tomorrow or thurs--where they'll reposition one of the pacemaker leads plugged into the fam members heart.

During the first surgery, last week, the operating team accidentally dislocated the fam members' shoulder while moving the fam member on & off the operating table! Due to the 95yr old fam members' severe arthritis and overall frail musculoskeletal condition &c. 🤕 :rolleyes:

Upon hearing of the pacemaker device clinics concern yesterday, I was wondering if the pacemaker monitor position, on a dresser---between a wireless Polk subwoofer and a wireless Polk surround speaker---could have been causing the faulty or concerning readings. 🤔

But the x-ray apparently shows that one of the pacemaker leads, plugged into the heart, has shifted. How they could tell that ... from the bedside AC powered monitor, is beyond me.
And although both pacemaker leads are still giving an accurate readings, they want to reposition the shifted lead in the fam members' heart.... "before the [fam member's] surgery from last completely heals." 🤕

• Wow
Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail