Difference between Google and Verizon versions?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've owned every generation of Google phone since the Nexus 4, always purchased directly from Google or Project Fi.

I've already ordered a 3XL/128 from Project Fi, but I have the option of getting one through my employer (at no cost to me - big incentive!) on Verizon.

So, what are the differences I can expect if I go the Verizon route?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've owned every generation of Google phone since the Nexus 4, always purchased directly from Google or Project Fi.

I've already ordered a 3XL/128 from Project Fi, but I have the option of getting one through my employer (at no cost to me - big incentive!) on Verizon.

So, what are the differences I can expect if I go the Verizon route?

Either phone will work with Verizon or other carriers. The Verizon version has a locked bootloader but it has come to my attention that it can be unlocked. I'm basing this on last year's Pixel

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Either phone will work with Verizon or other carriers. The Verizon version has a locked bootloader but it has come to my attention that it can be unlocked. I'm basing this on last year's Pixel

They usually have a few Verizon apps that are loaded when you activate on Verizon, but they can be uninstalled (3 if I recall correctly). The only one I kept is the MyVerizon app because it helps me manage my shareplan.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
How do you go about unlocking it?

Sorry if this is a foolish question.

Every pixel is sim unlocked and can be used on all networks, so it doesn't have to be unlocked by Verizon. The bootloaders are locked on the Verizon versions. Unlocking the bootloader is only needed if you wish to install custom roms etc. If your not interested in rooting and custom roms, buying from Verizon is no different than buying from the Google store. It's the same phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon version has a locked bootloader but it has come to my attention that it can be unlocked. I'm basing this on last year's Pixel
I'm not sure where you got that information but the Verizon Pixel 2 XL was never able to have the Bootloader unlocked; the Verizon Pixel 2 Bootloader was accidentally found to have an unlock method (I don't know if Verizon closed that loophole but it didn't matter to me since it didn't work on the 2 XL).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty