P6 - Unlocked vs. T-Mobile versions

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot about this topic and still can't find a clear answer. Looking at maybe getting a P6 via T-Mobile because they are in stock and the unlocked versions aren't.

Phone will be purchased at retail price (so fully paid off from day 1).

Trying to figure out what the difference in the two versions will be. Since it will (or can) be unlocked, that part is out. I understand there is no Tmo bloatware on it since it is a Pixel.

So, what are the differences between the two? Does the Tmo version have any Tmo branding whatsoever on it?

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It does not. AFAIK, outside of being locked to the carrier it's the same. But there are people with more knowledge than I and I may be incorrect.

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw that thread as well. Sounds like there is absolutely no difference besides it possibly being locked, which doesn't matter to me.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
There is no difference. Except it will be locked to t-mobile until you get it unlocked. T-mobile spells out the procedure (Google it).

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I own the TMobile variant. I purchased it from TMO at release and usually buy each phone outright unless there is a "deal" for putting it on EIP for a couple of months. I will say there is no TMO branding, it was locked to TMO, but once I paid it off I received notification my phone was unlocked. I am not sure how long it took but it is now unlocked. I think TMO changed their 40 day unlock policy on paid off handsets. This is the 2nd one this has happened automatically on.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Do the updates come server side from Google or does it filter through T-Mobile for software tweaks regarding the radio software??

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I own the TMobile variant.

Actually there is no t-mobile, AT&T or Verizon variant. All pixels are the same. Just locked temporarily to whatever carrier you get it through. This way you are locked into their service, which is why carriers offer nice deals.

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually there is no t-mobile, AT&T or Verizon variant. All pixels are the same. Just locked temporarily to whatever carrier you get it through. This way you are locked into their service, which is carriers offer nice deals.

Are you sure that is the case? I have the 6 Pro on Verizon that will receive their ultra wideband mm wave 5G. But, if I buy the regular Pixel 6 unlocked it will not get the mm wave 5G. Only Pixel 6's purchased from Verizon get mm wave 5G, and they cost $100 more. Also, you are only locked into their service for 30 days, at which time they become unlocked.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure that is the case? I have the 6 Pro on Verizon that will receive their ultra wideband mm wave 5G. But, if I buy the regular Pixel 6 unlocked it will not get the mm wave 5G. Only Pixel 6's purchased from Verizon get mm wave 5G, and they cost $100 more. Also, you are only locked into their service for 30 days, at which time they become unlocked.

5G ultra wideband doesn't make it a "Verizon variant." It means it costs $100 extra to include it. Its still a Pixel in every other way.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
5G ultra wideband doesn't make it a "Verizon variant." It means it costs $100 extra to include it. Its still a Pixel in every other way.

So, then all Pixels aren't the same as you stated. You can buy a 6 that gets ultra wideband and one that doesn't. And the only one you can buy that gets ultra wideband is from Verizon, but it's not a Verizon variant???

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
So, then all Pixels aren't the same as you stated. You can buy a 6 that gets ultra wideband and one that doesn't. And the only one you can buy that gets ultra wideband is from Verizon, but it's not a Verizon variant???
According to this article Ulta Wideband coming to all P6Ps with the December update (which has been pulled for US phones). Of course you can always side load it.
https://www.androidpolice.com/decem...-pixel-6-exclusive-features-to-older-devices/
b3ff2c0972eb198a4237e64c698fc914.jpg

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Per this video at 4:44 minutes, it shows the mmWave antenna is not installed in the Pixel 6 teardown. Therefore, most likely the Verizon models not only have some software differences but also have the mmWave antenna installed. There is a placeholder installed. Similar to the Pro. If not the USA version there is no mmWave antenna installed at the factory.

ALL P6P models made for USA, JP, AU were manufactured with the mmWave antenna and had mmWave capabilities. That means all, regardless of where purchased.
P6P models manufactured for CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW did not have the mmWave antenna and were not mmWave capable.

Pixel 6 models with the mmWave antenna were for US and only for ATT and Verizon.

All that info comes from this chart on Google.com....
I believe the information on the update to the software just says that P6P models WITH mmwave have an update withe the "nearby share" feature." From Google sites, if not manufactured for a country with mmWave, no antenna thus no mmWave regardless of any updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009?hl=en

Last edited:

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Per this video at 4:44 minutes, it shows the mmWave antenna is not installed in the Pixel 6 teardown. Therefore, most likely the Verizon models not only have some software differences but also have the mmWave antenna installed. There is a placeholder installed. Similar to the Pro. If not the USA version there is no mmWave antenna installed at the factory.
https://youtu.be/s6nPQrPhCq4
The article points out it's only on the Pixel 6 Pro. Here's another article:
https://www.slashgear.com/pixel-6-vs-6-pro-hands-on-with-7-key-differences-19695847/
bb02b8edfa741d9f3216f50c3a4ad342.jpg

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
https://youtu.be/s6nPQrPhCq4

ALL P6P models made for USA, JP, AU were manufactured with the mmWave antenna and had mmWave capabilities. That means all, regardless of where purchased.
P6P models manufactured for CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW did not have the mmWave antenna and were not mmWave capable.

Pixel 6 models with the mmWave antenna were for US and only for ATT and Verizon.

All that info comes from this chart on Google.com....
I believe the information on the update to the software just says that P6P models WITH mmwave have an update withe the "nearby share" feature." From Google sites, if not manufactured for a country with mmWave, no antenna thus no mmWave regardless of any updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009?hl=en
According to the chart you posted the US version Pixel 6 Pro has mmWave for many carriers including T-Mobile which is one of two Google Fi carriers.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Never saw that second chart. I stand corrected, mmWave is available on other providers in the USA; although some are just MVNO's and not all are listed.

However I was just answering what you stated....

"According to this article Ulta Wideband coming to all P6Ps with the December update (which has been pulled for US phones). Of course you can always side load it."

Your statement implies mmWave coming to all P6Ps when when those outside the countries on the chart do not have the antenna.

Go to 4:23 on this teardown video of the P6P and he notes it is an international model without the antenna....
https://youtu.be/ZHyHEp6coSw

Thus without the antenna ALL cannot get mmWave. Especially, when not available in ALL countries. And I have seen some people posting stats on the speed of mmWave on their pixel 6 pros in the US markets that have mmWave a few weeks ago.

Looks like it is just enabling share feature of some sort on P6P models to send content.

But all P6Ps sold in stated countries have mmwave as well as sub 5G capabilities. While the 6 has mmwave only for 100 bucks more. In the US market only

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Never saw that second chart. I stand corrected, mmWave is available on other providers in the USA; although some are just MVNO's and not all are listed.

However I was just answering what you stated....

"According to this article Ulta Wideband coming to all P6Ps with the December update (which has been pulled for US phones). Of course you can always side load it."

Your statement implies mmWave coming to all P6Ps when when those outside the countries on the chart do not have the antenna.

Go to 4:23 on this teardown video of the P6P and he notes it is an international model without the antenna....
https://youtu.be/ZHyHEp6coSw

Thus without the antenna ALL cannot get mmWave. Especially, when not available in ALL countries. And I have seen some people posting stats on the speed of mmWave on their pixel 6 pros in the US markets that have mmWave a few weeks ago.

Looks like it is just enabling share feature of some sort on P6P models to send content.

But all P6Ps sold in stated countries have mmwave as well as sub 5G capabilities. While the 6 has mmwave only for 100 bucks more. In the US market only
My P6P has mmWave and didn't cost $100 more. Seems it is only Verizon charging more for the Verizon locked phones with mmWave.
As W.C Fields said "Never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow