Does the Pixel 3 still have the now playing feature ?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It WILL have a history of the last few songs that were played. If you want a complete history your best bet is still something like Now Playing History https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.nowplayinghistory

Do we know for sure that it will only have the last few saved? Considering that they brought this about because of apps like Now Playing History, it seems odd that they would bring the functionality but limit it to the last few songs.

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Oh! I never hear anything from this feature since the first Pixel, so it's nice it's a continuing trend.

I wish my phone had it, but that will come eventually I think.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do we know for sure that it will only have the last few saved?
I don't have a Pixel 3 so I can't tell you; all I can say is what I read. XDA posted this "Google has finally added history to the Now Playing feature. If you go to the Now Playing settings page in Sound Settings, you can now access a new menu that displays the last few songs that the Pixel 3 recognized." (bold emphasis mine). https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-minor-features/

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a Pixel 3 so I can't tell you; all I can say is what I read. XDA posted this "Google has finally added history to the Now Playing feature. If you go to the Now Playing settings page in Sound Settings, you can now access a new menu that displays the last few songs that the Pixel 3 recognized." (bold emphasis mine). https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-minor-features/

But that doesn't say how many they're talking about are stored, or how many songs they tried it out with. It could be they only tried it for a few songs. Now if they did 20 songs and only the last 5 show, that would be one thing. But if they only tried a few, that doesn't tell us much. Worst case we use Now Playing History until they change it.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
But that doesn't say how many they're talking about are stored, or how many songs they tried it out with. It could be they only tried it for a few songs. Now if they did 20 songs and only the last 5 show, that would be one thing. But if they only tried a few, that doesn't tell us much. Worst case we use Now Playing History until they change it.

Got 8 showing - that was all I listened to

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
It will be great if we don't have to add an app now to get the history. Looking forward to seeing what the 3XL offers here. Coming from a Pixel XL never had that option of even seeing the song.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
It will be great if we don't have to add an app now to get the history. Looking forward to seeing what the 3XL offers here. Coming from a Pixel XL never had that option of even seeing the song.

No app needed - see post 11 in this thread. You can add and icon to the desktop which allows you to access history rather quickly - good job Google

Didn't recognize Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis - then I remembered - Elvis has left the building

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Can now confirm that it does have a full history, not just limited to the last few songs. I've got 50 songs in my history since the 18th when I got it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Can now confirm that it does have a full history, not just limited to the last few songs.
That's good to know.
Can you compare the stock Now Playing history to what is provided in the application that I referenced? Does it allow you to mark a song as a Favorite, or link to that song on YouTube or in Google Play Music? May seem like a silly question but I don't have a Pixel 3 so I don't know what the stock behavior is like.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know.
Can you compare the stock Now Playing history to what is provided in the application that I referenced? Does it allow you to mark a song as a Favorite, or link to that song on YouTube or in Google Play Music? May seem like a silly question but I don't have a Pixel 3 so I don't know what the stock behavior is like.

Clicking on a song brings up a box that allows you the option to go to the song, like it, or add it to your playlist on Google Play Music, YouTube, or YouTube Music. It also lets you ask Assistant about it or share it.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine has a pretty long history when I click on the show history option.

Do we know for sure that it will only have the last few saved? Considering that they brought this about because of apps like Now Playing History, it seems odd that they would bring the functionality but limit it to the last few songs.
a248772bfd2f05820724a584fed946f8.jpg