Wired Fast Charging

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple Samsung fast charging bricks and I don't see a quick/fast charger when its connected to my Pixel 3 XL? Am I suppose to use the original charging brick( wall adapter) only or samsung does the job?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I do use Samsung Fast charger to charge my 3XL that came with my other Samsung devices and it does say "charging rapidly" as soon as I connect it.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's charger won't fast charge a Pixel. It uses a different technology. Pixels require power delivery (PD) while Sammy uses Qualcomms quick charge.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is still using quick charge 2.0 which is the slowest and creates the most heat. You can still charge the pixel with it it just won't be as fast. Personally I'd use the pixel charger if you can

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 30 W charger that came with an (early version of a) Moto Droid. It seems to charge my 3XL pretty quickly. Based on info from Ampere, it gets about the same input as does the one that came w/ this device.

I prefer it b/c the cable comes from the side, rather than straight out from the wall; therefore, it sticks out less and is less likely to get pulled out.

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is still using quick charge 2.0 which is the slowest and creates the most heat. You can still charge the pixel with it it just won't be as fast. Personally I'd use the pixel charger if you can

I will try to stick with original one but I will like to have couple chargers as @Mike Dee mentioned. Plus the original charger costs pretty penny

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I will try to stick with original one but I will like to have couple chargers as @Mike Dee mentioned. Plus the original charger costs pretty penny
I have an Anker PD charger that fast charges and also have a PD car charger that does the same. The key is to buy PD, not QC.

Benson Leung used to publish a list of items he tested (chargers and cords) for compliance to the USB C standard. I bought from that list after the launch of the OG XL and all that equipment continues to work very well with my 3XL.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I just tested with my Essential charger and its rapid charging with it. And it turns out Essential charger too uses USB-C fast charging.

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have an Anker PD charger that fast charges and also have a PD car charger that does the same. The key is to buy PD, not QC.

Benson Leung used to publish a list of items he tested (chargers and cords) for compliance to the USB C standard. I bought from that list after the launch of the OG XL and all that equipment continues to work very well with my 3XL.

this a silly "marketing stunt" by google . Might as well develop own SOC too. All my car and wall adapters are QC. Now I need to invest in PD? #sad

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think in this case, Google is following the more universal approach that goes beyond a marketing stunt. Looking at the bigger picture, I think they made a good decision.

https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-power-delivery-806266/

This will allow compatibility of phone and computer chargers over USB-C, for example. This is the case for the Pixel Slate which charges @45W over USB with fastcharging -- something you cannot do with QC -- while maintaining compatibility with Pixel phones. (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store.google.com/us/?hl=en-US&token=943ZZ__8)

I think the QC 4.0 is supposed to be compatible with PD.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
this a silly "marketing stunt" by google . Might as well develop own SOC too. All my car and wall adapters are QC. Now I need to invest in PD? #sad
No, it's not a marketing stunt and can be very convenient. I can use the same charger for my MacBook Pro, Nintendo Switch, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL without any extra investment in PD.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

PD is the open source standard for USB fast charging. Quick Charge is a proprietary standard developed by a consortium of OEMs (Google is one of them). The thing is charger manufacturers would have to be a member of that consortium (which costs money) or pay a license (which also costs) to use that standard in their products. Using PD, there is no such costs because it's an open standard. That should translate to less money charged for their products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non