Google charging cord

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't know why Google scrimped and made the cord so short.
You can't charge your phone and talk on it at the same time.
Don't even understand why they even put such a short cord in the box.
Scrimp and save at the consumers expense.
Cord should be at least 5-6' long.

Not 32".
Its totally worthless.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can talk and charge at the same time - if I'm sitting near the power strip. But you're right, the extra 3 feet of cord wouldn't cost them much per phone, but with the price of copper, it would cost them more than my house is worth in total. But 2 pack, 6 foot, flex cables are $7-$9 on Amazon. (And a female A to male C short cable is available on eBay for eleven cents including shipping, to convert longer cables that connect to A ports (*which are plentiful and cheap).

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Long thin cords would reduce the current suppled to the phone because of the restance in the wire, therefore the phone would take longer to charge. If the charging cable were made longer it would also have to be made with a thicker gauge of wire to allow more current to pass. A thicker cable would be less flexible and could put a strain on the phones usb charging port.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
At my desk I sit about two feet from the power outlet. At my kitchen counter I'm about two feet from the kitchen counter. My nightstand about about one foot from the outlet. I have 6' cords hanging around. Short cords are hard to find.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know why Google scrimped and made the cord so short.
You can't charge your phone and talk on it at the same time.
Don't even understand why they even put such a short cord in the box.
Scrimp and save at the consumers expense.
Cord should be at least 5-6' long.

Not 32".
Its totally worthless.

The cord supplied is more than adequate. Charging and talking at the same time is not the best idea unless you have to. You can buy a longer cord if that is a requirement. I don't know anyone that supplies a 6 foot cord

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Long thin cords would reduce the current suppled to the phone because of the restance in the wire, therefore the phone would take longer to charge. If the charging cable were made longer it would also have to be made with a thicker gauge of wire to allow more current to pass. A thicker cable would be less flexible and could put a strain on the phones usb charging port.

It would have to be considerably longer and thinner to make that kind of a difference at the wattages we charge at.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Some phones will turbo charge at 15 watts, the resistance iin the cable would effect the charge speed. The quality of the power cord is vital in maintaining the advertised speed of charging. Cheap long thin cables will charge the phone but at a slower speed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some phones will turbo charge at 15 watts, the resistance iin the cable would effect the charge speed. The quality of the power cord is vital in maintaining the advertised speed of charging. Cheap long thin cables will charge the phone but at a slower speed.

If we are talking about the kind in 5 below stores, I wouldn't use them period. I don't see many C to C ones there.
I only use quality stuff. The closet thing I have to thin cables are the Ravpower ribbon cables, for the hi speed chargers and hi speed juice packs they sell. They work great. I dont have any six foot one though and technically they aren't thin conductors.

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I had a question about usibya different wall adapter so I can use my anker 6ft long cables. I am using a Samsung wall adapter to charger my phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I end up replacing iPhone cables every 3 months , they are poorly made .

Really?? Ive never once had to replace an official iphone cable...now a 3rd party ya theyre cheap, but the official ones have always been reliable for me and my wife.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got a longer one from the Google store when the 5X came out. Still using it. I would not be surprised if Anker has one that is compatible and at least 6 feet long.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A braided cable would be thick and flexible (braid has been common for decades). I have 6 foot cables I can roll into 6" diameter coils without any pressure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch