Pixel 3 dongle different then Pixel 2

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I took out my pixel 3XL dongle tonight to test it because I sold my pixel 2XL and was packing up one of the two 2XL dongles I had for the new owner. I noticed when I unplugged the new dongle that it didn't make an electrical popping noise through earbuds like the 2XL did. I also noticed that the connector end with the DAC was shorter and the same size as the charging cable connectors. I tested both dongles but did not notice any difference in sound so I'm guessing they just improved it to eliminate the static click when unplugging it because it might have been annoying to some people especially with the volume cranked up. My other dongles made by HTC and Razor also do not make that clicking sound so it's all good. If you want a better dongle for your pixel then the OEM dongle, the HTC which is slightly better sound. Of course that's subjective and you may prefer the pixel dongle. For an amazing audio experience try the Razer dongle has a lot more kick and full of sound than the Pixel or the HTC

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I took out my pixel 3XL dongle tonight to test it because I sold my pixel 2XL and was packing up one of the two 2XL dongles I had for the new owner. I noticed when I unplugged the new dongle that it didn't make an electrical popping noise through earbuds like the 2XL did. I also noticed that the connector end with the DAC was shorter and the same size as the charging cable connectors. I tested both dongles but did not notice any difference in sound so I'm guessing they just improved it to eliminate the static click when unplugging it because it might have been annoying to some people especially with the volume cranked up. My other dongles made by HTC and Razor also do not make that clicking sound so it's all good. If you want a better dongle for your pixel then the OEM dongle, the HTC which is slightly better sound. Of course that's subjective and you may prefer the pixel dongle. For an amazing audio experience try the Razer dongle has a lot more kick and full of sound than the Pixel or the HTC

VERY interesting, didn't know the dongle would make difference. I will check it out tomorrow because I have both my pixel box with dongle at the shop

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There were articles a few months back saying that Google updated the dongles. One of the benefits was that the updated dongles used less power than the originals. A Google search should tell you the whole story.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There were articles a few months back saying that Google updated the dongles. One of the benefits was that the updated dongles used less power than the originals. A Google search should tell you the whole story.

Thanks....That would explain the reason it probably doesn't snap anymore. I never had a problem with battery drain using the dongle. I find that Bluetooth is a bigger burden.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The bigger question is, do any of those dongles fully work with 3 button head phones?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/p...3-button-remote-usb-c-dongle.html#post6386275

Without reading the thread I'm going to say some button isdues might not be a dongle issue. Most of the incompatibility issues I've experienced are IOS vs Android m. The headsets I own work the same regardless of Jack vs Dongle.
I don't think the new dongle works any different than the old in terms of compatibility.

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
Without reading the thread I'm going to say some button isdues might not be a dongle issue. Most of the incompatibility issues I've experienced are IOS vs Android m. The headsets I own work the same regardless of Jack vs Dongle.
I don't think the new dongle works any different than the old in terms of compatibility.

I agree to some extent. One would hope that Google was able to make a dongle that keeps the functionality of 3rd party head phones (not necessarily Apples head phones) alive.

And you are correct, the Pixel 2 dongle has the exact same compatibility as the Pixel 3 dongle.
Play/pause, skip and Assistant work, volume up/down does not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TechBro