Standby time drain?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
What is QHD? Don't think I've seen that on my Pixel. I have WiFi scanning off and Bluetooth when I'm not using it. Is GPS the location icon in the which settings? Also, if I have WiFi scanning off and leave the icon it on so it can connect to my trusted networks, does that drain battery?
Yes, leaving on the wifi when you are not home or using it in a trusted location is a large unnecessarily large energy loss. GPS is a large battery drain which should be off unless needed for the particular app you are using. There are settings to automate many of these radio turnoffs, such as wifi off when connected to cars Bluetooth. I typically get 36 hours on a full charge, with wifi, bt, and data all synching per app settings. Treat the phone like the computer it is and clear the cache partition and reboot regularly and after an update. Root around in the settings, just write down any experimental changes you make to go back. Have you unlocked developer options?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, leaving on the wifi when you are not home or using it in a trusted location is a large unnecessarily large energy loss. GPS is a large battery drain which should be off unless needed for the particular app you are using. There are settings to automate many of these radio turnoffs, such as wifi off when connected to cars Bluetooth. I typically get 36 hours on a full charge, with wifi, bt, and data all synching per app settings. Treat the phone like the computer it is and clear the cache partition and reboot regularly and after an update. Root around in the settings, just write down any experimental changes you make to go back. Have you unlocked developer options?

I only turn off WiFi when not at home otherwise I leave everything on. No real complaints w/ my Pixel 2 XL or iPhone.

yungskeeme88

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes developer options on. I remember turning off location accuracy in the settings. So is this the GPS option? (Screenshot)
49e37cdbc45d00272f9c5a7dc997be61.jpg

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
IDK with iPhone I never had to disable GPS, location, nfc, Bluetooth, wifi...I don't think we should have to manage features to conserve battery. Ive still got hope adapative battery will help improve some of these areas.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Kate and I both have Pixel 3 XL 128's. Both our batteries will easily last longer than a full day so we're very pleased with battery life. We're on Google Fi, so WiFi is on 24/7 and we're connected to WiFi and WiFi Calling close to 100% of the time.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
IDK with iPhone I never had to disable GPS, location, nfc, Bluetooth, wifi...I don't think we should have to manage features to conserve battery. Ive still got hope adapative battery will help improve some of these areas.

I don't disable much regardless of OS.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree. The OS should optimize all of the settings for best battery use AND allow the Apps/OS to flow optimally. The user shouldn't have to worry about any of that. Especially with the prices of these new devices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

To be honest... in a technical speaking sense yes a radio being on draws power BUT in reality a WiFi radio being on doesn't cause massive drain. It is very minor at best.

On Android or iOS I leave everything on except WiFi just because I don't want WiFi on for any chance of outside use (more a security thing for me then a battery issue).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
To be honest... in a technical speaking sense yes a radio being on draws power BUT in reality a WiFi radio being on doesn't cause massive drain. It is very minor at best.

On Android or iOS I leave everything on except WiFi just because I don't want WiFi on for any chance of outside use (more a security thing for me then a battery issue).

Have you had any issues connecting to internet over LTE while leaving WIFI on and it's trying to connect to a WIFI network that requires sign on or a week WIFI signal?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any issues connecting to internet over LTE while leaving WIFI on and it's trying to connect to a WIFI network that requires sign on or a week WIFI signal?

Nope. I don't allow my phone to connect to random networks :p. I said I turn WiFi off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't either....it's a work network that's secure but sometimes times out and needs a new sign on

Ah yeah I have none that I connect to that require a sign in. Our work has a public / separated network for "non-work stuff" but it is painfully slow so mine as well use LTE at my desk.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ah yeah I have none that I connect to that require a sign in. Our work has a public / separated network for "non-work stuff" but it is painfully slow so mine as well use LTE at my desk.

Sometimes it happens to me if I go outside the house too. I guess at the point the weak signal makes the phone confused...lol

Disabling the WIFI fixes it

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
i expected different in 2 years being from Android
An iPhone is an OS running native apps (for the most part). An Android is an OS running a Java interpreter, which is running Java apps. Different animal, you can't compare apples and airplanes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
An iPhone is an OS running native apps (for the most part). An Android is an OS running a Java interpreter, which is running Java apps. Different animal, you can't compare apples and airplanes.

What happened? Oranges sold out?
🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Right, we know that but the general consumer doesn't

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone X and standby time on it was far better. I think the screen on time on my phone is amazing (5-7 hours or SOT with average of 18 hours off charger) buy standby is concerning. I take my phone of the charger at 5AM and get to work at 7:30. I listen to Spotify (offline), some Reddit and Tapatalk. On my iPhone I would be around 95%. On my 3XL I'm usually around 85%. Seems like a huge difference to me. I remember on my Galaxy S7 Edge I would use Greenify and that seemed to help but heard it was pretty useless with Pie and it's adaptive battery setting. I get good SOT so I guess that's all that should matter. Anyone else experience this?

5-7 SOT is about were I'm at as well. Even though Google gave us a smaller battery this year, I'm happy with it

Last edited: