Videos wrong Timestamp

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Noticed my videos always seem to have the wrong timestamp. Like I took some photos and videos around the same time in the afternoon, but then the videos end up having morning timestamp when I view them.

Anyone have a similar experience? Is it a Pixel 3 issue? Or something wrong with Google Photos?

Thanks!

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Happened again today. Seems like it occurs after Google Photos app does the backup. Possibly not a Pixel 3 issue.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Happened again today. Seems like it occurs after Google Photos app does the backup. Possibly not a Pixel 3 issue.
I can replicate that problem on my Pixel 2 XL - the timestamp is correct up until the point when Google Photos completes its backup; at that point the time (for me anyway) seemed to get advanced ~7 hours (to what would be GMT from my timezone).

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I can replicate that problem on my Pixel 2 XL - the timestamp is correct up until the point when Google Photos completes its backup; at that point the time (for me anyway) seemed to get advanced ~7 hours (to what would be GMT from my timezone).

Yep, sounds about right. Thanks for the info.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It could be a problem with your phone not getting correct time zone info from the cell tower. This was a big problem back in 3G days because carriers didn't properly maintain their towers' time zone setting. They only make sure the local time was correct. It could still happen today but rarely. It depends which tower you connect to and which carrier you are using.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It could be a problem with your phone not getting correct time zone info from the cell tower.
Unlikely. If that were the case then the timestamp should be wrong from the outset rather than only after the backup is complete. And all my backups are done on Wi-Fi so cellular date/time should be irrelevant. Finally, I've verified that the date/time/timezone are all correct.
No, this is clearly a server-side issue where Google is updating the timestamp to GMT rather than leaving it at the original local time.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Using GMT on the server side is a common practice because the same server can serve many users from different regions. It is up to clients side app to convert between local and GMT times based on the phone time zone. I can not reproduce any such issue. So it seems the issue is on your side.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Another thought, the Google server can use the embedded GPS locations info to get the correct local time zone if it is available. But if you have I location turned off, it might be more difficult for the server to figure out the photo or video local time.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I reproduced it. It is related to the Save Location setting in camera app. If you turn it off, the Google Photos server will default to GMT time. So the video, after backed up will show up shifted by the timezone difference between your location and GMT. If you turn on the location in the camera app, the time come out in correct local time.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: I reproduced it. It is related to the Save Location setting in camera app. If you turn it off, the Google Photos server will default to GMT time. So the video, after backed up will show up shifted by the timezone difference between your location and GMT. If you turn on the location in the camera app, the time come out in correct local time.

Just tried it after reading your post. Same results as your's.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Photos have dedicated standard EXIF info for these information but video is different. Google must have embedded properietary tag in the video for such information.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site

Just confirmed this. Video timestamps are ok when location is saved. Photos doesn't matter due to the EXIF as mentioned.

Thanks for all the info. Guess either have to accept it, or turn on location for camera app. Haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38