Carriers selling our location

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Cell phones - internet - credit cards - 3 ways of tracking us and our actions. If 'they" want to find us, "they" are gonna find us.

4th possible tacking method - POS - pizzzed off spouse.

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
I mean, yeah of course your carrier always has your location. The selling of that information, however, is a travesty.

You live in a fantasy world if you think this doesn't happen. As I'm fond of saying, if you don't want to be tracked or "spied" on, completely disconnect electronically.

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs, but at the end of the day this the price we pay to be "connected".

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
You live in a fantasy world if you think this doesn't happen. As I'm fond of saying, if you don't want to be tracked or "spied" on, completely disconnect electronically.

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs, but at the end of the day this the price we pay to be "connected".

To be clear, I completely believe that more companies collect the maximum data that they can ... I am a cynic and I have zero illusion about that. However, if you're going to sell my data like this and profit from my activity, then I should receive some benefit as well.

If you make fifty cents off of me, I want fifty cents of benefit my way.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To be clear, I completely believe that more companies collect the maximum data that they can ... I am a cynic and I have zero illusion about that. However, if you're going to sell my data like this and profit from my activity, then I should receive some benefit as well.

If you make fifty cents off of me, I want fifty cents of benefit my way.

I agree..

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/08/wireless-carriers-selling-location-data/

I mean is this even possible with location off on our pixels 3 ?
I'm sure some of you guys seen this in the news feed what you guys think?

9to5 didn't explain this, but Jerry did a good job in an article a couple days ago, so I'm quote him.

"any phone and not one particular model, make, or one that uses a particular OS — to operate correctly, it has to periodically send a signal that cell towers receive, and they, in turn, send one back. That's known as "pinging" cell towers and it's how your phone knows which tower is closest and which to connect with. Your carrier keeps track of these pings, which contain a fairly close approximation of your location"

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
9to5 didn't explain this, but Jerry did a good job in an article a couple days ago, so I'm quote him.

"any phone and not one particular model, make, or one that uses a particular OS — to operate correctly, it has to periodically send a signal that cell towers receive, and they, in turn, send one back. That's known as "pinging" cell towers and it's how your phone knows which tower is closest and which to connect with. Your carrier keeps track of these pings, which contain a fairly close approximation of your location"

Yeah I forgot all about the pinging.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
What we need to do in the US is to get our own privacy rights to protect the consumers, like the GDPR in Europe. Companies shouldn't be making money off MY data and MY privacy. Period. Nobody should be able to get my location for as little as $8 and some change. With the uptick in purchasing of smart home accessories, like Amazon Echo and Google Home, this is more important than ever. I refuse to own any smart home accessories until I know my data is private.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I really like that Google keeps track of where I am. I can ask Google what restaurants are near me when I'm out and about. I can ask things like where the nearest Best Buy is located. Since Google knows where I am, I can get directions from my current location to where I want to go. I would certainly never turn that off.

We have a number of Google Home devices and again it is valuable to me to have Google know where I am when using them. Everything in my first paragraph still holds true.

I fully realize that my location data has value to local businesses that would like to direct advertisements to me. I have no problems with that as I'd sure rather get advertisements that are actually of interest to me.

If I have an emergency and am unable to communicate, I like it that first responders can know where I am through my cell phone positioning data.

I have none of the privacy paranoia that many have.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I really like that Google keeps track of where I am. I can ask Google what restaurants are near me when I'm out and about. I can ask things like where the nearest Best Buy is located. Since Google knows where I am, I can get directions from my current location to where I want to go. I would certainly never turn that off.

We have a number of Google Home devices and again it is valuable to me to have Google know where I am when using them. Everything in my first paragraph still holds true.

I fully realize that my location data has value to local businesses that would like to direct advertisements to me. I have no problems with that as I'd sure rather get advertisements that are actually of interest to me.

If I have an emergency and am unable to communicate, I like it that first responders can know where I am through my cell phone positioning data.

I'm the same as you in terms of enjoying the benefit it provides, but I appreciate the ability to opt-out with Google.

The predominant point of contention is that are not afforded that option with reference to carriers selling our location information, and they have continued to do so profitably by taking a very liberal and loose interpretation of their Privacy Policies to keep them from being in violation thereof. Add to that the fact that after being caught doing this earlier last year, the carriers agreed to cut back when legislators began looking into it, and then went on doing it....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The issue isn't advertising to you and whatnot. It is others (random people / 3rd parties) being able to get your location for malicious things. That is what people are angry about -- not that Google tracks us when we say it can.

Carrier tracking isn't the same as consenting to Google tracking.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The issue isn't advertising to you and whatnot. It is others (random people / 3rd parties) being able to get your location for malicious things. That is what people are angry about -- not that Google tracks us when we say it can.

Carrier tracking isn't the same as consenting to Google tracking.

Exactly, plus they making money off us selling it , this needs to be put to a end quickly.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm the same as you in terms of enjoying the benefit it provides, but I appreciate the ability to opt-out with Google.

The predominant point of contention is that are not afforded that option with reference to carriers selling our location information, and they have continued to do so profitably by taking a very liberal and loose interpretation of their Privacy Policies to keep them from being in violation thereof. Add to that the fact that after being caught doing this earlier last year, the carriers agreed to cut back when legislators began looking into it, and then went on doing it....

Again, I have no problem with an advertiser knowing where travel. The data that carriers are selling is, of course, not real-time current data. It is collectively old data. If I frequently go to the same mall, for example, I have no problem with getting advertisements from places I actually frequent.

If my carrier can make money from that data and become more competitive, I'm all for that. I really can't see how this becomes a problem for me. All I see are advantages for both my carrier and me. My carrier becomes more competitive by having more income. Since my carrier is more competitive, I likely will have more competitive rates. I'll also receive intelligently directed advertisements I'm likely to be more interested in. What's not to like here?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Again, I have no problem with an advertiser knowing where travel. The data that carriers are selling is, of course, not real-time current data. It is collectively old data. If I frequently go to the same mall, for example, I have no problem with getting advertisements from places I actually frequent.

If my carrier can make money from that data and become more competitive, I'm all for that. I really can't see how this becomes a problem for me. All I see are advantages for both my carrier and me. My carrier becomes more competitive by having more income. Since my carrier is more competitive, I likely will have more competitive rates. I'll also receive intelligently directed advertisements I'm likely to be more interested in. What's not to like here?

Because it's not about being advertised to.... You seem to not be understanding what the article and people are complaining about. You keep thinking the issue is with ads coming at us and that wasn't the "omg" part the article is talking about.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Because it's not about being advertised to.... You seem to not be understanding what the article and people are complaining about. You keep thinking the issue is with ads coming at us and that wasn't the "omg" part the article is talking about.

Has anyone looked at the root site of "motherboard.vice.com" that produced this conspiracy article? Go look at https://www.vice.com/en_us and make your own judgement as to reliability.