Google Case for Pixel 3XL No Bueno

WarBeagle

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
I purchased the Google case (Gray) back in November. It felt great and was unique. I'm pretty good with phones, but dropped it about a week ago. Everything worked fine, so I didn't think anything of it. When I took off the case yesterday, I was shocked at the damage. Needless to say, up on receiving a new phone, I'm going to back to a Spigen or similar line for protection. The drop was only about 3 ft high and was dropped on concrete.

The Google case looks and feels great, but beware, it may not offer the protection some desire. I dropped by OG Pixel a couple of times in the 2 years I had it - zero damage. But I had a Spigen case. Lesson learned.

IMG_20190324_125044.jpg

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
No matter what phone I have, it always goes into some sort of TPU type case. I go back and forth between Ringke and Spigen. Currently in a Ringke and its fallen off my motorcycle and into the engine bay of my car(not running)with no issues. Sorry yours didnt fair well, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

WarBeagle

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all. Best Buy is replacing the phone (no deductible, just a 1:1 replacement). My local store is out, so at first they tried to offer a Sammy S9+. No way would I take a 1 year old phone. Now if they offered the S10, maybe. But I do like the Pixel a lot.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm really really sorry to see that! I agree with everyone else, most of the time Android devices have no cracked screens at all. and I've never broken a phone except my older Galaxy s8 and I dropped that on the corners on concrete as well! I vowed to myself never to drop my phone again. Hopefully you have much much better luck with the new phone Good luck! I do love the fact that the phone is made of aluminum and glass though It feels so good and solid in the hands.

WarBeagle

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
Don't drop it on a hard surface, friend. Anyway, I'm getting the tough armor case from Spigen. BB found a black Pixel 3XL for me and the mobile manager is going drive there personally tomorrow to pick it up. I was impressed by the customer service (the trip is about 45 mins one way).

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Not very protective

I know, Lol. I was referencing the other thread on durability that fell with a Peel case on and survived with nothing more than a scuff. Really luck of the draw no matter what case one has, If it hits just right it's game over.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know, Lol. I was referencing the other thread on durability that fell with a Peel case on and survived with nothing more than a scuff. Really luck of the draw no matter what case one has, If it hits just right it's game over.

Yes and know....some cases offer quite a bit more protection if you can handle bulk. Myself, I'm not a fan.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes and know....some cases offer quite a bit more protection if you can handle bulk. Myself, I'm not a fan.
When I had my older Nexus 6P in my Droid turbo phones years ago, I used to have the bulkier silicone TPU cases, but I always used to take a scissor to them and try to trim them to not make them feel so bulky. I can't stand them cases.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I had my older Nexus 6P in my Droid turbo phones years ago, I used to have the bulkier silicone TPU cases, but I always used to take a scissor to them and try to trim them to not make them feel so bulky. I can't stand them cases.

I hear you....for my work phone they give me an OtterBox. I can't stand that thing.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hear you....for my work phone they give me an OtterBox. I can't stand that thing.
Oh I know what you mean, I used to work in retail Verizon in a local store near my house. Customers of mine would buy the OtterBox like it was going to style. it's a two-layer case that feels like a five-layer case and sure it offers drop protection but damn!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Wow thanks for sharing, im using the Black Fabric case from Google and dropped my P3 many times with no issues, i was confident it was doing the job but maybe on the wrong impact it could be bad (your experience). Glad to hear theyre replacing the device, shocked that even though case isnt super thick it should protect enough...

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
This post made me take my P3 out of its Google fabric case to check it. All good here, although I've only had one real drop (comparable sounding to the OP's).