Is your Pixel 3 spontaneously rebooting after Android 10?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Given that I did not see this as a recent topic here and don't see it on any Android blog, it's probably an isolated incident - possibly isolated to me.

A few days after getting the 10 update, I decided to wipe my phone and build up everything fresh. Since then, my phone has spontaneously rebooted 4-5 times and in all but one of these cases, it was just sitting idle on a table.

Today, it did it while I was streaming music over Bluetooth and it was very bad timing, disrupted a situation. This woke me up to the fact that it's done this multiple times in the past week.

It never did this before the wipe. I have no new apps. In fact, I left a few off after the wipe.

Any thoughts on this? It's my first random reboot situation with a phone.

Thanks!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried putting the phone in safe mode?

I did think of that but this isn't a rapid reboot situation. It's been 4 or 5 times over a week. I would have to leave the phone in safe mode for at least 2 days to determine if it was a 3rd party app (unless it did it while in safe mode).

It's probably some app incompatibility. I ran Q/10 for less than 2 days before I wiped the phone so I can't say if the wipe had anything to do with it either.

Pretty much tossing this out there in the off chance that someone says "me too!" hopefully followed by "here's the really easy fix!"

Ugh.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
On two different occasions when I went to unlock with finger print it wouldn't let me and I had to use my pin. Didn't think much of it at the time but thought it was odd ... Seeing this thread I'm wondering if those two occasions we're reboots.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's normal for a Pixel (and many other Android phones) to periodically ask for your backup PIN for extra security. It can happen if the fingerprint unlock failed a couple of times, after a cold boot, and probably also randomly.

sftwre

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
Yes... and battery went from 100% to 30% in 4 hours...device pixel 3XL reboots...

After getting back into settings..after power off and on..and going back to 3 button navigation...and turned off power button shortcut for camera.

Side note going into settings gestures and selected any option caused screen to go blank..this now seems to be resolved after power off and on
This is the 2nd day after updating to Android 10

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It just did it right in my hand today so I know exactly what it was doing, not that it helps at all.

Actively casting YouTube to a TV
Scrolling through Amazon
...bam... Screen switched immediatley to the colorful Google word logo against black
Couple of seconds, PIN request
Entered PIN
Took maybe 5 seconds to populate the screen and continued doing boot stuff.

The TV played the remainder of the video despite the disconnection but that has happened many, many times. As soon as the video ended, it returned to a resting state as it would do when the phone disconnected.

It's not the full boot cycle because it recovers much more quickly than if I manually tapped the reboot button.

Anyway, I would say the only similarities between this one and the last one were I was using media. The others, I wasn't using the phone at all.

I did scroll deeper down the posts here and noticed someone else reported a couple of random reboots on his 3XL a few weeks ago, also while streaming.

I'm just going to assume I have to wait for Google's October update and/or maybe there's a guilty app that will get fixed.

(P.S. These are not the periodic PIN checks that were mentioned above. These are some type of reboot.)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to be sure -- is Android System Webview up to date?

How can I tell? I have:

version 76.0.3809.132

And it literally just happened again. Scrolling through Google Photos.

These situations really suck because Google is going to say it's an app, not their problem, when the phone has been fine for months. Are there logs somewhere that I could view?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 77.0.3865.73. Look it up in the Play Store and update if available.

From Nougat through Pie, Chrome was the default webview, and Android System Webview was disabled by default. With Android 10, Android System Webview is back to being default (and Chrome never handles it any more).

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 77.0.3865.73. Look it up in the Play Store and update if available.

From Nougat through Pie, Chrome was the default webview, and Android System Webview was disabled by default. With Android 10, Android System Webview is back to being default (and Chrome never handles it any more).

No update. It is only offering me the one I have so it thinks it's up to date.

I'll keep checking it. Or would uninstalling it do anything?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be because I'm on the beta. You could try joining the beta program and see if that helps.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not the full boot cycle because it recovers much more quickly than if I manually tapped the reboot button.

Yes, this has been happening to my Pixel 3 XL since the final beta (almost certain it didn't happen with the penultimate beta which is where I started with 10) and continues with the official release.

Like yours, mine will abruptly display the black Google screen, shortly ask for my PIN, and then continue loading things as it does after a full reboot It is not a full reboot given the time it takes. It has happened while using several different apps (Twitter and Chrome were 2 for sure) and also just returning to the home screen.

There was an article I read a while back where I think the 4th beta had an issue with this sort of thing and it's related to a new feature for updates of some sort. However, that was supposedly patched in beta 5 (and also 6 and the official release we should assume).

Mine reboots every day to day-and-a-half or so on average.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
These situations really suck because Google is going to say it's an app, not their problem, when the phone has been fine for months. Are there logs somewhere that I could view?

Yup. Rather than improve the way we troubleshoot and solve issues, wipe continues to be the go-to fix for virtually any issue.

Has anyone seen mentions of particular apps that have caused issues? Apple Music was mentioned above. Any others?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can do a debug dump, but I doubt that you'd be able to make much sense of it. (I've been writing software for 46 years, but I still can't,) But Google can. Call customer support, report the problem, tell them that you'll probably have to do a debug dump and email it to an engineer, and they'll eventually kick the call up to someone who can help you. (That's one reason I stay with Google - great customer support.)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine reboots every day to day-and-a-half or so on average.

Yep. We have the same infection in our phone, except I have a 3. It did it again overnight last night. First thing in the morning, it asked for a PIN "after a reboot" and proceeded to continue booting after I entered the PIN. The times it has happened in my hand, I am not using the same app. Varies. It freezes for about 1-2 seconds that goes blank, starts boot.

An interesting tidbit - I have a SIM PIN. On a normal reboot, it will ask for that right after it comes on, before the OS PIN. In these spontaneous reboots, it does not ask for the SIM PIN which further supports the idea that these are not full boot cycles.

Yup. Rather than improve the way we troubleshoot and solve issues, wipe continues to be the go-to fix for virtually any issue.

...and mine started after a wipe. So my phone was clean and had just had the apps added back in.

I am debating if I want to do light troubleshooting - like wipe then only install my key apps. Wait 2 days, add a few more, etc. My other thought is to wait for the October update and pray.