Google's feature drop update

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it is! I personally love the power button shortcut for accessing Google pay. And yeah, we have Google automated rules and system settings.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I just saw it's not for TMobile and Google Fi. I guess I'll wait.

EDIT: I just read that it seems that Tmobile paused the update as it is reporting that Google Pay is broken after the udpate.

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I just saw it's not for TMobile and Google Fi. I guess I'll wait.

EDIT: I just read that it seems that Tmobile paused the update as it is reporting that Google Pay is broken after the udpate.
Interesting. I have Google unlocked on TMobile. Was thinking about sideloading it tonight.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Dang, went to download the OTA and it says on there "except TMobile and Google Fi". Booooooooo

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Dang, went to download the OTA and it says on there "except TMobile and Google For". Booooooooo

I'm figuring about a 50/50 probability that we just need to give it about 3 weeks, then they'll announce it will be bundled into a cumulative update next month....

Hopefully it won't be another of those, but unnecessary delays of any duration are still, in a word, unnecessary.

I appreciate that it is simpler to bundle the feature drop with the security update, but if enough effort isn't going to be put in in advance to reasonably ensure again compatibility issues to make delays like this an extreme rarity (rather than an issue forcing a delay every other month or so), Google should issue the security update separately and on-time, and issue the feature updates as a separate item when it is actually ready.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Other than various report of it breaking Google Pay on both T-Mobile and AT&T, I don't see any real benefit on this so-called feature drop because most of those features are Pixel 4 only. I installed it and didn't notice anything special and have not tested my GPay yet. I will be pissed off if it no longer works (I'm on AT&T).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The power button shortcut for Google pay cards is really nice. And I swear applications run just a little bit smoother, and they're a little bit more responsive.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Dang, went to download the OTA and it says on there "except TMobile and Google Fi". Booooooooo
Anyone else find this just a tad ironic that the update has issues on Google Fi? Their own freaking service. For the love of God Google. Get it together.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The power button shortcut for Google pay cards is really nice. And I swear applications run just a little bit smoother, and they're a little bit more responsive.
I failed to see the usefulness of it. You don't need to launch the app to pay. So why the need for the shortcut?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I failed to see the usefulness of it. You don't need to launch the app to pay. So why the need for the shortcut?
The usefulness is really for a shortcut for sending people money as well. Although I realized that Google Assistant can do the same thing. It's just another convenient shortcut way of doing something...

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I love this feature, I'm constantly paying with different cards depending on the store, so this is a much better way of getting the card you want.

solo2112

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else find this just a tad ironic that the update has issues on Google Fi? Their own freaking service. For the love of God Google. Get it together.

I have a feeling it's going to be like December updates all over again. I'm on Fi and it's still not available yet.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Google doesn't own the actual network. So, they just have to obey the rules of whatever carrier Google Fi is using. In this case, T-Mobile is not allowing the update multiple times now. So, there is nothing you can do other than jump to a different carrier.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems like GSM networks are the issue with this update, thus TMobile and ATT are delayed. Interesting

Also, this update was supposed to fix a Qualcomm issue with the Sprint network in which multiple users will fall back to 3G and never return to LTE until an airplane toggle is performed.
Not sure if this was fixed 100% since I left Sprint last in January and I'm now with TMobile, and my phone works flawlessly now. (knock on wood)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692