.trashes files everywhere ever since I upgraded to Android 11

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I just connected my phone to my laptop and noticed that there are 10s of files starting with the name .trash

Seems like Google is keeping the deleted files but it's so unorganized as they are all in the same folder where the pics / videos are

How to turn this rubbish off?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I just connected my phone to my laptop and noticed that there are 10s of files starting with the name .trash

Seems like Google is keeping the deleted files but it's so unorganized as they are all in the same folder where the pics / videos are

How to turn this rubbish off?
Are you referring to the folder where images and videos are stored when taken with your phone's camera the DCIM folder? If so none there for me.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Are you referring to the folder where images and videos are stored when taken with your phone's camera the DCIM folder? If so none there for me.

Right, this just happened last night. I just did a factory reset. Might as well since I didn't do it after upgrading to 11 which I usually do when upgrading to new OS upgrades

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Right, this just happened last night. I just did a factory reset. Might as well since I didn't do it after upgrading to 11 which I usually do when upgrading to new OS upgrades
I typically like doing a fresh install as well and I did that as well maybe why I don't have those folders.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The leading period means it's supposed to be a hidden file (which still shows up if you have the Show Hidden Files/Folders option turned on in Windows File Explorer). If it's just the clutter you don't like, you could turn that option on.

Otherwise, try the Junk Cleaner option in the Files by Google app to see if that clears those files out.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
The leading period means it's supposed to be a hidden file (which still shows up if you have the Show Hidden Files/Folders option turned on in Windows File Explorer). If it's just the clutter you don't like, you could turn that option on.

Otherwise, try the Junk Cleaner option in the Files by Google app to see if that clears those files out.

Right, I'll see how it goes after this factory reset. I didn't install SD Maid Pro this time round. I have a feeling that it's buggy with Android 11 and also it never finds anything usually other than cleaning empty folders. I'm not gonna use these snake oil cleaning apps anymore I feel there is no benefit to them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my Pixel 3 XL, and I also saw a couple of those .trashed pics. The junk file cleaning option in Files by Google didn't get rid of them. The Photos app does have a Trash folder, and there it says trashed photos will be automatically deleted after 30-60 days, so you could wait and see if those .trashed files finally disappear on their own.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I just checked my Pixel 3 XL, and I also saw a couple of those .trashed pics. The junk file cleaning option in Files by Google didn't get rid of them. The Photos app does have a Trash folder, and there it says trashed photos will be automatically deleted after 30-60 days, so you could wait and see if those .trashed files finally disappear on their own.

This is a complete mess IMO especially if you take a lot of photos temporarily for sharing then delete them. Google needs to fix this mess. Is there a way to stop deleted photos from going to the trash? Like instantly and permanently delete them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think this is only a consequence of using the Google Photos app -- if you're using the Photos app to trash a photo, then the assumption would be that you're using the Photos app to manage your photos, not a file manager app (the .trashed files would only show up in a file manager). If you prefer using a file manager (or some other gallery app that is somehow showing those .trashed photos) to view your photos, then I'd use the file manager to delete them as well, since then it shouldn't go through the Google Photos Trash feature.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Whst about on the computer log into your Google account to access your Google photos? No need to connect the phone to the computer ?