Op Ed: Google's Looming Pixel 4 disappointment

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Well the Pixel 3 line failed to sell well (supposedly sold less than the 2) and while Google's main line of income doesn't rely on Pixel sales, I do think that Google want a large, profitable flagship phone line. Otherwise what's the point - just stick with the 'a' line of phones for the mid-tier market.

And I think the crux of the article was that Google are trying to be Apple, but the Pixel is an Android phone in a sea of Android phones. There's no real USP. The camera is good, but it's not a massive difference from the competition. Software/UI is another, but it's hard to advertise/convince someone to purchase a phone because it has a 'pure Pixel experience'. Then when it comes to hardware, Google has consistently been behind the 8-ball there and consumers could easily compare the Pixel to any other flagship and see the other flagship has better specs. Yes that doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience, but how do you convince someone of that?

I think it's entirely fair to suggest that of Google are charging premium prices for their flagship phones, that it should have premium specifications that improve the experience. And that hardware does matter.
Well said.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well the Pixel 3 line failed to sell well (supposedly sold less than the 2) and while Google's main line of income doesn't rely on Pixel sales, I do think that Google want a large, profitable flagship phone line. Otherwise what's the point - just stick with the 'a' line of phones for the mid-tier market.

And I think the crux of the article was that Google are trying to be Apple, but the Pixel is an Android phone in a sea of Android phones. There's no real USP. The camera is good, but it's not a massive difference from the competition. Software/UI is another, but it's hard to advertise/convince someone to purchase a phone because it has a 'pure Pixel experience'. Then when it comes to hardware, Google has consistently been behind the 8-ball there and consumers could easily compare the Pixel to any other flagship and see the other flagship has better specs. Yes that doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience, but how do you convince someone of that?

I think it's entirely fair to suggest that of Google are charging premium prices for their flagship phones, that it should have premium specifications that improve the experience. And that hardware does matter.
You do bring up some valid points , but you don't think the pixel 4 will be a improvement?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You do bring up some valid points , but you don't think the pixel 4 will be a improvement?
OZ didn't give nothing to the the tinman that he didn't already have..........or to put it simply... the article tells us nothing we don't already know
and the author as well as no one else has a crystal ball with which to predict the future.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Well the Pixel 3 line failed to sell well (supposedly sold less than the 2)
Google never said the Pixel 3 didn't sell well. The exact quote from the CFO was, "Hardware results reflect lower year-on-year sales of Pixel, reflecting in part heavy promotional activity industry-wide given some of the recent pressures in the premium smartphone market." Now considering sales are down for all manufacturers, including Samsung and Apple, I think it's fair to say the overall market is suffering from headwinds of a mature market.

My issue with Alex's piece is that he types a lot of words without saying much at all. So when I read sentences like:

"Google, however, is for all intents and purposes just another Android smartphone maker, with access to largely the same components as everyone else -- outside of its unique Pixel Visual Core chip."

That's a lot of fluff without saying anything at all. Of course Google is an Android OEM. What's supposed to be, licensing iOS? Plus the statement is contradictory. 'Same components' outside of the 'unique' components, makes it all the same as another phone, but different... What...???

The S9 came out in 2018, same as the Pixel 3, and didn't receive anywhere near the scrutiny for having 4 GB of RAM with the same 845 chip.

Their hardware is competitive and offers similar experiences that other premium OEM's offer for the same generation of phone. Premium materials... wireless charging... fast charging.. IP68... Best SoC available... Pixel Visual Core for an industry defining camera experience... Titan M Security Chip to fortify the best security of any Android OEM, without question.

Google is marketing to Apple users, that's for sure. As they should. Who do you want them to take from Samsung? Run a campaign against LG?? Motorola?? Who else besides Apple should they target?

When you are trying to convince someone to change brands, in a competitive situation you want things to be even, then have one or two things to tip in your favor. In this situation, Google is betting on the camera to be the difference to get someone who is considering a change to flip.

Google has a strong offering in the space, and should charge the prices they see fit, just like any other OEM. Base model sticker Xs is $999. Base model sticker Pixel 3 is $799. That's a fair price.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OZ didn't give nothing to the the tinman that he didn't already have..........or to put it simply... the article tells us nothing we don't already know
and the author as well as no one else has a crystal ball with which to predict the future.
True , tell you truth all these phones are not to far apart from each other , but I do like the pixel experience it's different then my other Android phones . I use to make my Samsung phones into Google phones because I like the experience that much .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Google never said the Pixel 3 didn't sell well. The exact quote from the CFO was, "Hardware results reflect lower year-on-year sales of Pixel, reflecting in part heavy promotional activity industry-wide given some of the recent pressures in the premium smartphone market." Now considering sales are down for all manufacturers, including Samsung and Apple, I think it's fair to say the overall market is suffering from headwinds of a mature market.

My issue with Alex's piece is that he types a lot of words without saying much at all. So when I read sentences like:

" Google, however, is for all intents and purposes just another Android smartphone maker, with access to largely the same components as everyone else -- outside of its unique Pixel Visual Core chip."

That's a lot of fluff without saying anything at all. Of course Google is an Android OEM. What's supposed to be, licensing iOS? Plus the statement is contradictory. 'Same components' outside of the 'unique' components, makes it all the same as another phone, but different... What...???

The S9 came out in 2018, same as the Pixel 3, and didn't receive anywhere near the scrutiny for having 4 GB of RAM with the same 855 chip.

Their hardware is competitive and offers similar experiences that other premium OEM's offer for the same generation of phone. Premium materials... wireless charging... fast charging.. IP68... Best SoC available... Pixel Visual Core for an industry defining camera experience... Titan M Security Chip to fortify the best security of any Android OEM, without question.

Google is marketing to Apple users, that's for sure. As they should. Who do you want them to take from Samsung? Run a campaign against LG?? Motorola?? Who else besides Apple should they target?

When you are trying to convince someone to change brands, in a competitive situation you want things to be even, then have one or two things to tip in your favor. In this situation, Google is betting on the camera to be the difference to get someone who is considering a change to flip.

Google has a strong offering in the space, and should charge the prices they see fit, just like any other OEM. Base model sticker Xs is $999. Base model sticker Pixel 3 is $799. That's a fair price.
Good point , definitely agree here.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Definitely , how long is that credit good for?
Omg just notice a fine print good through August 2019 mother fu#3$s. I have everything I don't need any Google products. Ughhhhh what a scam they are giving me less than 2 months to use wow. Going to log a ticket and see if they will let me extend it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Omg just notice a fine print good through August 2019 mother fu#3$s. I have everything I don't need any Google products. Ughhhhh what a scam they are giving me less than 2 months to use wow. Going to log a ticket and see if they will let me extend it.
Definitely throw a fit or do something lol get it written also . Gotta love those fine prints lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

" Google, however, is for all intents and purposes just another Android smartphone maker, with access to largely the same components as everyone else -- outside of its unique Pixel Visual Core chip."

The S9 came out in 2018, same as the Pixel 3, and didn't receive anywhere near the scrutiny for having 4 GB of RAM with the same 855 chip.

You know what I don't like about articles like that, the phone is not even out and still up in the air how pixel 4 is going be and bashing Google , I don't mind judging when phone is out to review but not before .

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Like seriously I knew about the promotion but they never stated you would have less than 2 months to use it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
You know what I don't like about articles like that, the phone is not even out and still up in the air how pixel 4 is going be and bashing Google , I don't mind judging when phone is out to review but not before .

That's my feeling about that type of article as well. We're still months out.. only renders and rumors, so far. But Alex decides to put out a drive by piece on Goggle/Pixels for a headline and some clicks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's my feeling about that type of article as well. We're still months out.. only renders and rumors, so far. But Alex decides to put out a drive by piece on Goggle/Pixels for a headline and some clicks.
I do agree , I'm not up for that and think it's waste of time .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall