Any idea how to get the new Google Assistant working in Canada?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi fellow Canadians and non-Canadians that may be willing to help!

As an owner of the new Google Pixel 4 XL I would like to use the new Google Assistant instead but being in Canada that seems to be impossible at the moment. Changing my default language to US English does not appear to be enough. Perhaps setting up the phone as US region, US English will do it, but this seems a bit excessive. Any clever ideas on how to overcome this nonsensical limitation?

Cheers!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- you don't have a G Suite account on the phone, right? The new Google Assistant currently doesn't work for G Suite accounts.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- you don't have a G Suite account on the phone, right? The new Google Assistant currently doesn't work for G Suite accounts.
Correct, I do not have a G-Suite account on my device. I know that it doesn't work with it on the device.
And I believe the new GA doesn't work with three button nav either.
Correct, I know this as well. It only works with the gesture navigation.

Fundamentally, the way I understand the issue is that the only way to make the new Assistant work is to be US region, English (US) language. I am in Canada and I use English (Canada) plus I also have a multilingual keyboard. Despite this, I was hoping maybe somebody has an answer on how to get this to work or has gotten it to work even if just with English (Canada). (I might be willing to sacrifice the multilingual keyboard for the new Assistant for now.)

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Figured it out! It is not at all about the device language or the keyboards one uses. The issue is what language the Assistant is using when one's talking to it. The Assistant > Languages must be set to English (US) and the new Assistant will work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays