Nov. 1 All Biometric Authentication Must Include Face Unlock

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
That's not what is happening. They've deprecated the old API that print sensors used, replacing it with a far more robust API that eliminates a lot of the development effort to implement. It INCLUDES finger print scanning along with face unlock (and other biometrics based systems)....

So they are replacing a limited, difficult to use and develop API with one that is flexible, standardized and extremely easy to implement.

There is zero downside here... None.
My bad then. I thought apps are being forced to use face unlock and away from finger print scanning. If it includes both and Google asking developers to migrate to the new API version, then I got nothing to be upset about hahahah. Thanks for the clarification.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
https://chromeunboxed.com/pixel-4-xl-reasons-to-buy/

Lack of a fingerprint reader was a concern as well. With many of the apps I use leveraging this form of biometric authentication, I thought it would be months before Android app developers actually got around to adding face unlock since there’s only one Android phone on the market with it. Google surprised me here, too, and said that as of Nov. 1 all app that utilize biometric authentication must include face unlock in their next update. So that won’t be a concern for long either.

Google laying down the law.

Not true. My Evernote app was updated Nov. 5th, and no face unlock.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not true. My Evernote app was updated Nov. 5th, and no face unlock.

One explanation I would suggest is that perhaps this is for updates submitted as of November 1, with some updates that might have been submitted prior to that date taking time to go through the process of approval and publication.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
One explanation I would suggest is that perhaps this is for updates submitted as of November 1, with some updates that might have been submitted prior to that date taking time to go through the process of approval and publication.

The issue is it is not really a "requirement". Developers are just warned that the app should meet the requirements, and get a warning if it doesn't, but they can just click that away and still submit the app for updates without updating the Biometrics. So this date will help, but it is really still up to the developer to update when they want to.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it does nothing but I have emailed/tweeted developers of some apps to ask and express my interest in the biometric update. Takes just a minute and it might give them a little nudge.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From what I've learned about the new API, not updating ones app to support it seems almost lazy.

The Xposed people managed to relaease a module that makes any app that does FPS unlock work with the new API within days off the 4 launch.

dmgerbino

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the Chase Mobile app for my banking. I sent them a secure email. Not from mobile since your can't start an email there but from my laptop. They responded generically and I was able to follow-up visit the mobile app. Customer support says they would forward my request on. I mentioned the Google Android API policy.

Also, when you search reviews on the Chase app for your device, mine is the 4XL. There were no reviews... maybe one.

I decided to check the Bank if America mobile app reviews. Damn! Those Pixel 4 XL users are very vocal. The same customer support response was added to most of the requests from face unlock. The response was they are working on it.

While I wait I'm using LastPass to handle my logins, at least they support face unlock.

rickkel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My main bank is Wells Fargo so I sent them an email asking when they plan to implement Face Unlock. This is their reply:

Hello,

We are glad you reached out to us. We have plans to support features for the Pixel 4 sometime in 2020. We appreciate your patience as we work on making these options available. I will pass along your feedback to the Mobile team for review.

Sincerely,

Alex
Wells Fargo Social Care Team

Here's my reply back (I used to work at Wells Fargo):

Really, not until next year? I just got notified and installed an update to my Barclay's Bank app. They just added this feature and it works perfectly.

When I was a team member at Wells Fargo, we took pride in being first in technology. I guess that has gone by the wayside. Do Apple iPhone users have to punch in passwords on their Wells Fargo app? I bet not.

No response back yet. And yes, the Barclay's Bank app just implemented Face Unlock, but I only have a credit card with them.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I use the Chase Mobile app for my banking. I sent them a secure email. Not from mobile since your can't start an email there but from my laptop. They responded generically and I was able to follow-up visit the mobile app. Customer support says they would forward my request on. I mentioned the Google Android API policy.

Also, when you search reviews on the Chase app for your device, mine is the 4XL. There were no reviews... maybe one.

I decided to check the Bank if America mobile app reviews. Damn! Those Pixel 4 XL users are very vocal. The same customer support response was added to most of the requests from face unlock. The response was they are working on it.

While I wait I'm using LastPass to handle my logins, at least they support face unlock.

I got the same canned response from Chase but I didn't think about the app review! I just knocked a star off of mine and replaced the review with comments about it not being updated for face unlock. I did compliment them on the app though. Funny story .... The review I had in there said from the past said, "Great banking app that supports the Nexus 6P fingerprint sensor!"

Ironic.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
JUST TO CLARIFY -----

Is it true that all a developer needs to do is update the biometric API and it will automatically support face unlock (and continue to support fingerprint)?

Is doing that a big deal? Do you have to recode chunks of the app?

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
The issue is it is not really a "requirement". Developers are just warned that the app should meet the requirements, and get a warning if it doesn't, but they can just click that away and still submit the app for updates without updating the Biometrics. So this date will help, but it is really still up to the developer to update when they want to.

We have to give it time. I only have one bank app (1 of 2 mind you) that doesn't use face unlock, so I'll just wait until they add it.

How many iOS apps use this feature? I would guess that if the iOS app uses face unlock, it should be a short wait for them to port (don't think this is the correct word) it to Android.).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Paypal app - No face unlock.
WebsterBank app (major regional bank) - No face unlock
Discover Card app - No face unlock
Bank of America app - No face unlock
T. Rowe Price app (brokerage) - No face unlock
Voya Financial app (retirement fund brokerage) - No face unlock
eWallet app - No face unlock

All of these supported fingerprint on my 3XL.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
JUST TO CLARIFY -----

Is it true that all a developer needs to do is update the biometric API and it will automatically support face unlock (and continue to support fingerprint)?

Is doing that a big deal? Do you have to recode chunks of the app?

It is pretty simple for them to do, but it just probably isn't much of a priority as the Pixel isn't exactly a massive seller.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I've worked for two different banks. One thing I know, is that anything that is IT/systems/network related takes FOREVER to change. They have so many layers of people, auditors, committees, boards, etc that have to all approve anything like this. Probably have to re-write some parts of the bank IT policy someplace as well.

I think the app guy could make this change in a few hours, but banks are just so highly regulated and monitored on the IT side, they can't just push out an update before it goes through all those layers of checkpoints.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've worked for two different banks. One thing I know, is that anything that is IT/systems/network related takes FOREVER to change. They have so many layers of people, auditors, committees, boards, etc that have to all approve anything like this. Probably have to re-write some parts of the bank IT policy someplace as well.

That makes a lot of sense (unfortunately).

I was going to post that the fact Citi has it gives me a little hope but now I think it was just an accident, like they had the biometric API updated for some other reason. It still prompts you to use your fingerprint but your face works.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My main bank is Wells Fargo so I sent them an email asking when they plan to implement Face Unlock. This is their reply:

Hello,

We are glad you reached out to us. We have plans to support features for the Pixel 4 sometime in 2020. We appreciate your patience as we work on making these options available. I will pass along your feedback to the Mobile team for review.

Sincerely,

Alex

Here's my reply back (I used to work at Wells Fargo):

Really, not until next year? I just got notified and installed an update to my Barclay's Bank app. They just added this feature and it works perfectly.

When I was a team member at Wells Fargo, we took pride in being first in technology. I guess that has gone by the wayside. Do Apple iPhone users have to punch in passwords on their Wells Fargo app? I bet not.

No response back yet. And yes, the Barclay's Bank app just implemented Face Unlock, but I only have a credit card with them.
I have the UK Barclays Bank app. (Funnily enough I used to work for Barclays myself). No face unlock over here yet.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Hello,

Sincerely,

Alex

It's likely they're thinking in terms of it being a feature that would need to be implemented to support only two phone models which are expected to only garner a grain of market share in a beach of phones, with the convenience of the few customers who would benefit not being sufficient to warrant expediting development. If Samsung introduces a sufficiently secure facial ID system with their 11-series, we'll probably see an avalanche of banks, etc, suddenly updating their apps just before or at the launch of those devices.