Battery usage - Google play services

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I love my battery usage so far, however, does anyone know how I can lower the usage of Google play services? I for stopped it and cleared the data once on it already. In addition, I've limited or restricted location services to most of the apps on my phone. At first, I thought it was due to carrier services which enables RCS chat services in Android messaging. I was also researching this on Google support forums. However I'm not entirely sure this is true. Does anyone know anything more so? Thanks for any input! I really appreciate it!
b46558927c012fe208af4afa37214093.jpg

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
In my experience, that is typically high if some Google service / product isn't syncing correctly? Did you setup your phone as new? Or copy from a backup? In many cases that drains a lot of battery after setting up a phone and copying data from an old phone or a backup

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, that is typically high if some Google service / product isn't syncing correctly? Did you setup your phone as new? Or copy from a backup? In many cases that drains a lot of battery after setting up a phone and copying data from an old phone or a backup
Oh, yeah, I know. That's what's slightly irritating to me. Cuz it's not the phone itself it's something on the phone. No I didn't copy any data from my old Pixel 3 XL. And everything on my new phone is fresh and clean. That's what doesn't make sense to me! What do you think it can be? Something not syncing correctly... You mean with my Google account?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
One of the Google services, Calendar, Contacts, Gmail, Drive, etc. If you go to Google Sync in the Settings is anything"stuck" trying to sync?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
One of the Google services, Calendar, Contacts, Gmail, Drive, etc. If you go to Google Sync in the Settings is anything"stuck" trying to sync?
No that's weird thing everything is fine for the syncing. I might have to call Google and ask them over the phone. I mean taking 14% of my battery is a lot for Google play services especially on a brand new phone! Thanks for the suggestion though.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it'd normal my phone had been off the charger since 6am it is now 11:20am and my google play services is at 58 mins. I think it'd part of the OS and ii think its normal isn't it?

I'm going to monitor it for a few days to see what the usage is. I think a lot for google services use google play services for example just finished listening to 48 mins of a podcast via Google podcasts and I think it adds to it. Ill keep an eye and see what results I get.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about me replying again. I just realized my 58 mins of usage only drained 1% and for you your 3 hrs and 40ish mins drained 24% if you do the math if it drained at the rate of mine the service probably should of not drained more than 4-5% of your battery and for you it drained 14% which does seem high.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about me replying again. I just realized my 58 mins of usage only drained 1% and for you your 3 hrs and 40ish mins drained 24% if you do the math if it drained at the rate of mine the service probably should of not drained more than 4-5% of your battery and for you it drained 14% which does seem high.
hey, dude, thanks so much for responding back quickly! Well, there's an update, I just got off the phone with Google support. What I've never tried to do on any one of my pixels so far is going to the bootloader and clear the cash partition for the system. I was just doing it at the app level In apps and notifications but not at the system level. I'm going to try to do that, fully charge my phone later when I get home and see if that helps. If not, I can always email the Google rep back directly. I'll let you know what happens of course!

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I thought Google removed the Clear Cache option from the Recovery Menu years ago when they switched to the A/B Partition system? I haven't seen that option in Recovery Menu for a few years.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
hey, dude, thanks so much for responding back quickly! Well, there's an update, I just got off the phone with Google support. What I've never tried to do on any one of my pixels so far is going to the bootloader and clear the cash partition for the system. I was just doing it at the app level In apps and notifications but not at the system level. I'm going to try to do that, fully charge my phone later when I get home and see if that helps. If not, I can always email the Google rep back directly. I'll let you know what happens of course!
Nice keep us posted of your results. I'll report back in a couple of days as well about the % of battery used on my phone.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice keep us posted of your results. I'll report back in a couple of days as well about the % of battery used on my phone.
Oh hell yeah dude you know what! I'll definitely let you know what happens!
I thought Google removed the Clear Cache option from the Recovery Menu years ago when they switched to the A/B Partition system? I haven't seen that option in Recovery Menu for a few years.
Actually, I can't find it in system settings so I think they did. do you know how to clear the cash partition from the system level then? Because the Google rep thought like I did and thought there was an option still in the boot loader menu.

update: in apps and notifications, if you show system apps, would this be how you clear the system cache?
fb0b737d1fd0cd9e1d87dc833dd84841.jpg

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think the Google rep is confused. They are talking about booting into the Recovery menu and selecting Clear Cache. Which used to be an option in the Recovery Menu, but I don't think it's there on newer phones that use the A/B Partition system

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
There is no option to clear the system cache in the phone Settings. You can clear app cache one at a time in Settings - Storage. And you can clear temp files using the Files app - Clean option. Buy what the rep told you would be booting into the Recovery Menu

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There is no option to clear the system cache in the phone Settings. You can clear app cache one at a time in Settings - Storage. And you can clear temp files using the Files app - Clean option. Buy what the rep told you would be booting into the Recovery Menu
I think the Google rep is confused. They are talking about booting into the Recovery menu and selecting Clear Cache. Which used to be an option in the Recovery Menu, but I don't think it's there on newer phones that use the A/B Partition system
Haha, yeah, exactly. I mean she knew what she was talking about. But we both got a little confused on that one. So if I go to apps, show system apps, click on Android 11 system, should I clear that cache would that be the same thing? Because before I go and fully cycle/charge my battery at home, I want to make sure that I clear the correct type of cache so that I have to worry about this issue again. You know what I mean?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt, but it's not clearing the system cache. I don't think you can clear the system cache anymore
I hear you. I mean I just want to solve the issue so that I have an accurate full battery charge on my phone next time around. Can you think of anything else I can do though? because that's exactly what the Google rep told me was clearing the system cache to help resolve that because Google play services should be at 2% battery at most. And right now I'm at 17% battery.. I mean just out of curiosity, how do you have your phone set up?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This Google Support page should help clear it up....I think the Google rep was reading from a script that is very old. There is no "clear system cache" anymore.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/4797424?hl=en
Hey, thanks dude... Really appreciate! I'm going to go check the article out now.

Yup so update: as I was on the phone with the Google rep I was googling it alongside talking to her. I found the same exact support Google forms. So, what do you think I should do then? Now, I'm just confused as all hell. Lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang