Would I be crazy going from s20+ to pixel 5?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I shattered the back of my s20+ not long after getting it after launch so that was a bummer, but everything works 100%. Right now I guess I just have an itch to switch to something new and I'm sick of the $1500(in Canada) glass backed ginormous bloat ridden flagships.The thought of having a smaller, lighter phone, with no glass back to shatter is appealing. I'm also interested in trying stock android and a new device after using samsung exclusively for the past 5 or so phones.
It just feels like I'd be nuts to spend money to downgrade in a way.

Some concerns I have are that I may find the display a bit *too* small. That along with worrying about the under display speaker and if I will find if acceptable for calls, and getting one with a display gap.

So, curious what all ye think about my dilemma? Am I nuts to even consider this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a Pixel 5 for my wife, and she really likes it. Very snappy performance (despite the "nonflagship CPU" GASP!!!), no problems with sound on calls (and she actually complains about her hearing not being very good in the first place). Beautiful screen, and excellent battery life as well. My understanding is the display gap was a pretty uncommon issue -- but if you actually encountered it, Google's RMA process is pretty straightforward.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Another thing I just googled is that I have a galaxy watch3 and people are having trouble with it disconnecting every day or so. I didn't even look for this before as I assumed all would be fine being an android phone but it seems there is some sort of bug in the pixel and watch(seems to be all samsung watches actually) pairing. Anyone have input or experience with that as well?

Daveya

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
I've left 5 years of Samsung with ended in S20 Ultra and then FE and went to the Pixel 5, 3 reasons

Work is Googled up, I hate the Samsung bloat and wanted the cleaner Google Android

The weight

The size

The battery

4 reasons

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My wife loves her Pixel 5. She said calls sound loud and clear to her with the speakers where they are. I would recommend the phone. The screen to body ratio is great. A 6" phone with a full 6" screen is not that small.

As far as the watch....I don't know. Do Samsung watches work with non Samsung phones? I've never known anyone that had a Samsung watch and didn't have a Samsung phone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Pixel is a solid device and it's completely subjective to the individual what they prefer. Personally won't touch a Pixel, stock Android is infuriating and frustrating to use in my opinion. Also don't care for the camera, Google as some solid AI but camera app is lacking and so is the hardware compared to Samsung/LG/Huawei.

You aren't crazy if you make the switch, but I would recommend going to the store and playing with one before you buy.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
No chance of playing with any phones right now in my city. We are locked down pretty hard right now and likely for a good while to come. I wish there were other options in the 6-6.4" screen range. Oneplus prices in Canada are way overpriced too so they are out as a whole. The 8T is $1099 here. Ridiculous, but that is out of the scope of what I want to do anyway and get a more pocket friendly less fragile phone that can still handle my daily uses.

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I shattered the back of my s20+ not long after getting it after launch so that was a bummer, but everything works 100%. Right now I guess I just have an itch to switch to something new and I'm sick of the $1500(in Canada) glass backed ginormous bloat ridden flagships.The thought of having a smaller, lighter phone, with no glass back to shatter is appealing. I'm also interested in trying stock android and a new device after using samsung exclusively for the past 5 or so phones.
It just feels like I'd be nuts to spend money to downgrade in a way.

Some concerns I have are that I may find the display a bit *too* small. That along with worrying about the under display speaker and if I will find if acceptable for calls, and getting one with a display gap.

So, curious what all ye think about my dilemma? Am I nuts to even consider this?
I came from a pixel 4 xl, some say it isn't much of an upgrade but I like to disagree at least for my needs. I value battery life, smaller form factor, ultra wide angle lens, bezeless display so for me it made sense. I do not regret it one bit bc from my experience everything is as snappy as my older pixel 4 xl and really the only two difference are which by the way I don't notice it unless I put both phones side by side is that more demanding apps say call of duty mobile take a tiny bit longer to fully loading when opening then but once your in it's snappy. The other difference is the camera processing takes a few seconds longer but not anything to annoy me doesn't bother me at all bc taking photos is just as fast it's the processing afterwards that takes a little longer and to me as long as it's lag free when snapping photos I'm happy. Also video recording got wayyyy better.

So to answer your question since you have a cracked back i don't think there is anything wrong with you wanting to or actually upgrading. You can always put a skin on the back of your s20 though if you don't feel like upgrading right now. I say it depends on your needs.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Came from a Huawei Mate 20 pro to the Pixel and find it fits all my needs. Didn't use many of the features of my former flagship handset. This phone is super smooth/fast and the camera is spot on. Just put a clear case on and away you go...

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy watch active 2 and og Galaxy watch both work with my pixel 4. You can't open the messages app though since you won't have Samsung messages. You can only reply and see text messages as they come in, but you can't open an app and look at different message threads.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I just pulled the trigger. This is the first time I've ever been excited to buy a phone smaller than my current phone. Always bigger every time for the past 20 phones. It's gotten to a point they are just annoying to have in pocket etc. If I don't like the pixel, I blame you ALL! lol
Thanks for the watch info guyinbox. I actually use textra now so I'm already used to not being able to open the app on my watch. As long as it all works.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I just pulled the trigger. This is the first time I've ever been excited to buy a phone smaller than my current phone. Always bigger every time for the past 20 phones. It's gotten to a point they are just annoying to have in pocket etc. If I don't like the pixel, I blame you ALL! lol
Thanks for the watch info guyinbox. I actually use textra now so I'm already used to not being able to open the app on my watch. As long as it all works.
I don't think you are going to regret your decision.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My biggest worry is call quality with the speaker. I don’t care a whole lot about playing media from the phone. I do want it to work well as a phone though. I’m excited to get it and now the wait for delivery and hopes that I find the in call quality acceptable.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My biggest worry is call quality with the speaker. I don’t care a whole lot about playing media from the phone. I do want it to work well as a phone though. I’m excited to get it and now the wait for delivery and hopes that I find the in call quality acceptable.
Congrats, hope you'll like it , good phone !

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I was one of the poster boys for worries about the speaker but I can tell you that it is absolutely fine. Why wife who is hard of hearing has had no troubles with it so far.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
No chance of playing with any phones right now in my city. We are locked down pretty hard right now and likely for a good while to come. I wish there were other options in the 6-6.4" screen range. Oneplus prices in Canada are way overpriced too so they are out as a whole. The 8T is $1099 here. Ridiculous, but that is out of the scope of what I want to do anyway and get a more pocket friendly less fragile phone that can still handle my daily uses.

I tend to forget I'm in one of the places that has almost no restrictions so it's easy to walk into a store still and play with a phone. Personally I'm just used to the way Samsung does stuff and I've never cared for Nexus/Motorola/Pixel phones due to the software, only reason I'm recommending you play with one first but if you can't it's still sounding like it would be a good purchase for you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's the launcher that's the issue, you can always install a 3rd party launcher like Nova.